JLA vs. Avengers #2 (Spoilers)

KawangaKid

Originally posted by Bazza

That isn't the only option, there is always th option to modify their behaviour ie B-Mod them with one of Tom Thumb's machines.

True... but again, that has *its* own unique set of problems... as the 'Squadron Supreme' series brilliantly showed.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Champsguy

My take on the Silver Surfer/Thor battles has always been that the Surfer just didn't have the right personality to fight Thor. The Surfer just doesn't have the killer instinct to fight the Odinson. His fighting tactic is usually to fly around and shoot things with a big energy blast. He's a "hands-off" sort of fighter. Occasionally, he'll get all full of righteous indignation and blast the holy snot out of Morg. But the Surfer just doesn't have that bloodlust to get in close and get his hands dirty.

Thor's all about getting his hands dirty. His first impulse is to whack you with his hammer. He's gonna keep doing that. Supes handles that better than Surfer does.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some more thoughts

Originally posted by Superskrull

If you are talking about Thor being attacked by Warlock, forget it.

Talking about Bat and Caps.

Thor can shrug off a Karmic Blast like it was a 9d EB. I believe it was in the Blood And Thunder storyline.

Warlock also mentioned he hated fighting Thor 'cause he had stomped his butt back when Adam was Him (not to be confused with Her or even It, the Living Colossus)

Apparently, Warlock found Asgardians to be more fortified than most against a karmic assault.

I'd have to reread The Blood & Thunder storyline to comment on the Karmic blast. I'd haphazard a guess and say the reason Asgardians are less susceptible to karmic blasts is because on their inherent warrior-born battle-rage trait.

You'd think he'd have figured out Odin hated him years ago.
I don't think that is the case. I think it was because Odin did love him both as a father and heir to the throne of Asgard that Odin gave him the mortal identity of Dr Donald Blake. If indeed Thor was headstrong as his brief childhood glimses suggest, then I'm with Odin that it was a necessary action. Of course one can't predict the outcome of an experiment like that :)

Of course, Thor believes talking eyeballs are a good source of information, too. :)
Let's not go there ;) But I think Walt pretty much cleared that up with his version of Odin's origin. Bad writers can do evil things to good characters (and giving the benefit of the doubt to the writer as I've not yet read that storyline).

Originally posted by Chuckg

True... but again, that has *its* own unique set of problems... as the 'Squadron Supreme' series brilliantly showed.

I agree. and I also think that the Squadron Supreme was brilliant.

Can you (or anyone else) remember the Squadron Supreme fought the Avengers with Captain America in the team?

Originally posted by Bazza

I agree. and I also think that the Squadron Supreme was brilliant.

Can you (or anyone else) remember the Squadron Supreme fought the Avengers with Captain America in the team?

Sure. The last time was the start of the Heroes Return era Avengers. Cap lead the team as they slapped the Squadders around and made fun of them for being mind controlled again. Then they teamed up, fought Morgan Champion and found a way to send the Squadron back home in time for their Prestige format One-shot.

The Squadron was best when they were on their own Earth being written by the late lamented Mark Gruenwald.

Hang on. Batman vs Cap IN THE COMIC. The fight that never happened. Sorry I have come to this late, but I only got issue 2 at the weekend.

I actually read Batman's comment differently from most of you, so I have been thinking about interpreting it in other ways.

1. Batman is really saying, "You'd hand me my cowl." Batman stops the fight because he know he is going to lose. Quite a possible interpretation. However, would Bats admit this? Doesn't seem likely. NOTE. I am not saying Batman wouldn't lose to Captain America, just that Batman wouldn't admit it so readily. Also, Batman would have no idea about Cap never getting fatigued, which a lot of people (quite possible correctly) think could be the deciding factor in a fight.

2. Batman thinks he has a good chance of losing because he realises CA is better than him. Bats might think he could take Cap with a trick, but isn't confident at all. This is more likely. He might admit it doubt, in the hopes of making CA over-confident (possibly doomed to failure but Batman wouldn't know that), to increase the chances of taking Cap with a feint or gadget later.

3. Batman thinks he is at a disdvantage. More likely to lose than not, but possible he could take Cap. Pretty much the same motivation as 2 above. His statement could be taken entirely at face value.

4. Batman thinks they are pretty evenly matched. It could go either way. He doesn't want to waste time fighting Cap, as he might lose. Better to find out what's going on and avoid a possible loss. He says he might lose because he figures a man in a union suit might be a straight-up fellow and that this has a better chance of ending the fight before it starts than saying, "I could probably beat you."

5. He thinks he could take CA more times than not. NOTE: This doesn't mean he is right. He wants to avoid a confrontation because it will waste time or because he might lose/have underestimated his foe. If you play Russian Roulette, you only die one time in six, but would YOU play it? Same motivation for what he says as 4 above.

6. He thinks he could cream Cap, but again wants to avoid wasting time or get on with solving the mystery. Possible, but seems unlikely from the background of the story and I really think it would be a close fight.

Of course, you can mix and match these. Batman might just want to avoid a fight at any cost and get on with dealing with the real problem, no matter how he feels a fight with Cap will go. I've probably missed other possible interpretations as well.

I don't think you can even assume Batman really thinks he might lose to Cap BASED ON WHAT HE SAYS.

As such, I am not going to touch the "which one would win in a fight" argument with a bargepole.