lets combine some characters and see what we get

ayinde

so I was thinking about some character ideas and the amalgamation comics from the 90's came to mind but to be honest i did not care for what they produced in most cases so I thought it might be fun to give it a second try and besides you guys are far more creative than most of the hot names in comics these days rules are simple take two or more characters and make a new one. what powers do you leave out or include how is the back story changed and why did you choose them to be combined.

first combo to play with

wonder woman and the black panther

in common: royals, best of there people, home is closed to outside world, civil rights icon

so what would come out of combining them

Re: lets combine some characters and see what we get

first combo to play with

wonder woman and the black panther

in common: royals, best of there people, home is closed to outside world, civil rights icon

so what would come out of combining them

other common stuff:

special (indestructible) materials - vibranum vs. whatever the lasso and bracelets are made of

Rather than black or white I'd make them mixed, with the idea that race has no bearing to thier mindset, everyone is human. So the are black to white people and not black enough to black people. (Note no insult is intended here).

But they could get dissed from both sides. Maybe add some Asian in there also........

It's interesting wonder woman and black panther actually have very similar origins both raised in royal households in hidden cultures both selected by trials by combat both in the outer world working to make the world safe for their culture or bring the message of there culture to the outside world both get there powers from communion with their gods have energy absorbing/deflecting armour and stealth jets. you could combine there origins and styles pretty well

An island off the coast of Africa, settled by a mixed race population, at least parts of which claim descent from a population that migrated from the Mediterranean/Ancient Greece/Minoan Crete. More likely Carthage, but hey...

That said, the "Black" part of Black Panther was kind of the point of the character. Let's see, if the Black Panther isn't black, and Wonder Woman isn't a woman, who do we have left? White Guy? Clearly our amalgamated heroine is both female and black.

Humm...well, she could be as 'black' as Presadent Barak Obama is (no knock to him at all...he IS a black man, it is just that his mother is white).

As for his name...Wonder Panther? Supama the Wonder Panther?

Just trying to break the mold a bit while keeping what (to me) seem to be the critical parts of the concept (in this case an under-represented minority rather than simply 'black') how about making her (still viewing the character as female) a Huaorani (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaorani_people). While the huaorani people people built primarily with wood we could take a bit of historic license and make her hidden kingdom looking more Mesoamerican with a great deal of stone which conceals their advanced technology (perhaps recovered from ancient alien astronauts?) which is also something both characters have in common (or at least had before some of the changes WW went through).

Interestingly the jaguar has a strong place in Huaorani culture so we can incorporate that into the character.

esampson's on the right track. Take the Concepts, amalgamate them, Make the new character. I'd also run with something along this line, roll with a Jaguar warrior meets warrior princess, Hidden society that looks primitive but we all know better.....

Got a good idea for this one actually. Gonna go make it after I get done going through some of my prize Joe Kubert comics....

~Rex....and that style of art, is a good thing to keep in mind as well for this type of character but you all realize that you already HAVE this character in comics in a few different ways, not to mention a new take on an old book that's very popular right now....

I'd file off the serial numbers rather than go explicitly Huaorani' date=' but a hidden indigenous culture with a jaguar theme isn't a bad idea. It even has the "Amazon" connection![/quote']

Exactly! :D

~Rex

Yeah. Probably should have been a little clearer. I was really talking about using the Huaorani as a starting reference point rather than saying the character is explicitly Huaorani.

And yeah, I came up with the idea because I was thinking 'Let's make her a real Amazon'. Looking through the mythologies and histories of various tribes I hit on the Huaorani as a good starting point for developing the culture. I was thinking of sort of mashing them up with the Toltec, at least visually.

you guys have come up with some great ideas. the notion that the character really isnt franchised with group she is most commonly thought of open up some good story lines. hear is an idea why not place the secret land in the center of the earth maybe the world has examples of most earth racial groups but no current group examples. just kinda brain storming. I do like the idea that this world is cut off from the upper world say every 50 years or so any thoughts

Just trying to break the mold a bit while keeping what (to me) seem to be the critical parts of the concept (in this case an under-represented minority rather than simply 'black') how about making her (still viewing the character as female) a Huaorani (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaorani_people). While the huaorani people people built primarily with wood we could take a bit of historic license and make her hidden kingdom looking more Mesoamerican with a great deal of stone which conceals their advanced technology (perhaps recovered from ancient alien astronauts?) which is also something both characters have in common (or at least had before some of the changes WW went through).

Afaik Wonder Womans powers were derived from magic.

Her Lasso and Bracelets were magic bracelets.

And perhaps on the island grow special trees, that work as aplifiers for magic. Perhaps simialr to Uru in Marvel.

If treated right, it could become hard enough to block Bullets. And sharp enough to cut through any material. (similar to BP's Vibranium weaponry).

Powersets:

WW is a medium Brick, with lots of Training.

Black Panter is a sneaky Martial Artist.

A fusion should propably have a strong "martial artist"/"highly trained" vibe.

I could see her use a zulu-style wood shield of the "special wood" to block projectiles.

She could have a special Spear of the same wood. It "sings"* and depending on her intents when she throws it the effect can varry:

It can penetrate the thoughest Armor (like Vibranim).

It can become semi-intagible, not harming a target but "sticking" it to surface (similar to WW's Lasso).

Likt this video. Could even take the "splits up"

She might call it from afar (similar to thor's hammer or WW's Tiara return).

About invisible movement:

In the game Kings Quest 8, there was a boss that travelled as a Bunch of Spears:

Jump to minute 4:

She could use it like thor flying with his hammer. Or mabye she could somehow "fold" into the spear, so that all visible is a single spear flying at high sonic speed.

Another important part:

Black Panther was always the King of hsi country.

WW in some interpretations was the Ambasador for Paradise Island.

So maybe you could add the "representative" angle.

*In the Avengers Animated Series Black Panters vibranium Weapons had a very distinct soundeffect, whenerver deployed.

Afaik Wonder Womans powers were derived from magic.

Her Lasso and Bracelets were magic bracelets...

When Wonder Woman was originally created Paradise Island had highly advanced technologies (although this were not visually displayed). Wonder Woman herself created a healing ray to save the injured Steve Trevor that worked so well it actually brought him back to life. Then of course there was her invisible jet. However magic was a much more prevalent part of her background.

Rather than the center of the Earth I was thinking of her home as being a hidden valley within a small fictional South American country. People know that her country exists since she's an emissary of it but they don't know that it resides within the borders of another country. It is kept hidden through a combination of tribal magic and the advanced technologies recovered from an ancient alien spacecraft which has had a ziggurat built over it (emulating Wakanda's vibranium mound).

Her abilities are a strange mashup of alien origin and mysticism. Her strength and speed are "gifts from the Jaguar Spirit" but the Jaguar Spirit is the being who brought the 'chariot' to them in ages past so really her abilities are from exposure to alien technology. The people are not, however, exactly confused over the true nature of the Jaguar Spirit. It is a revered part of their tradition but they can also identify it as a deceased alien in the same way that Black Panther receives his power from the Panther Totem in the form of a heart-shaped herb.

In addition to the abilities she derives from exposure to the alien spacecraft she also carries with her a variety of weaponry made from scraps of the hull such as a knife and a spear which are capable of cutting through any terrestrial metal as well as bracelets which enable her to project a force field.

Actually, as I think about it rather than having it being simply a spear able to penetrate any terrestrial metal her spear could be part of the ship's engine and function similar to Starman's Cosmic Rod (flight, energy blast, telekinesis).

Actually' date=' as I think about it rather than having it being simply a spear able to penetrate any terrestrial metal her spear could be part of the ship's engine and function similar to Starman's Cosmic Rod (flight, energy blast, telekinesis).[/quote']

Don know, might make her too much of a Blaster. Afaik neither BP nor WW ever went into that teretory (except for the Star Sapphire WW perhaps).

I'll have a PC with background done up by Saturday. Since Champions Complete is coming out I'm doing a new setting from big bang forward. Was watching some stuff on that area of the world during an awake cycle of the insomnia issue so, inspiration. :D

~Rex

Humm...from Nick Fury we get the ex-solder/spy. From Bucky we can get the ideal that he was a sidekick of a golden age hero (same with golden age Robin). From The Chief, we got a guy with a handycap who leads others. May I sergest a missing arm? Also from Bucky we could take 'suspended animation' or 'missing in action/prsumed dead'.

Now, can we expand this?

Humm...from Nick Fury we get the ex-solder/spy. From Bucky we can get the ideal that he was a sidekick of a golden age hero (same with golden age Robin). From The Chief, we got a guy with a handycap who leads others. May I sergest a missing arm? Also from Bucky we could take 'suspended animation' or 'missing in action/prsumed dead'.

Now, can we expand this?

Already happened. Ed Brubaker did it. That's not really the best Mix there and besides it's too many people. If you want to do a true mix, Pick One from each Side so to speak. Anyway back to the sheet for the first one..... Only so much time before the sleep aides kick in.

~Rex

I dont know as I see it its more young character to old character. fury and chief both have retcon pasts bucky and robin can trace back to the 40's. in my head I am seeing a handler for meta humans who becomes the director of the very program he started in. the big question is what has changed him to a man like fury/chief (if you wish to use the winter soldier stuff that falls smack dab in the middle of his personal time line)

Hmm... I think I see where you are going. Just not the characters I would have used to get there. Let me think on it a bit. Lota comic knowledge in my head so it tends to get cluttered in there sometimes. I can work with it though just need to make sure I don't Copy Sarge Steel.

~Rex