Low fantasy, anyone?

tkdguy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by slaughterj

Defining perception is probably better addressed by philosophy than psychology, though of course psychology has only come into its own from philosophy in the last 100 years or so anyway. But if you want to move from more theoretical to more concrete, maybe neurobiology would be yet another better place than psychology.

Ever hear of biopsychology? I guess not.

Originally posted by Muldegian

Someone needs to go back to all those psychology classes. Do they still teach "how to win friends and influence people?" I am thinking "how to come off like a condescending chump" would be more in line with posts. Of course, I am likely to be told what classes I obviously missed.

Here's a lesson in psychosocial boundaries - I don't care what you think.

Point is, all folks except Muldegian and Pattern Ghost, you take assertive discourse as being aggression. I have one word for you, psychotherapy, give it a shot, it does a low self-esteem good. :D

And "Winning Friends and Influencing People" is a psychology textbook? :o We call that "pop psychology" in the field - kinda like pop music, but without quality.

Originally posted by slaughterj

Ever hear anyone say you're an ass. I'm guessing so. :rolleyes:

Psychology is still an inherently lacking discipline compared to any hard science, but I'm guessing you don't know that.

Did I resort to name-calling? Well, I guess not everyone has the maturity to engage in an adult debate. You are on permanent ignore.

Originally posted by Galadorn

Did I resort to name-calling? Well, I guess not everyone has the maturity to engage in an adult debate. You are on permanent ignore.

Haha, I call it as I see it. A troll is a troll, regardless of whether he spouts profanity or simply acts like an ass-in-sheep's clothing. You're not engaging in an adult debate, so you don't merit a mature response anyway. You're all about swinging zingers whenever someone posts something you disagree with, rather than debating the merits of the response. Now someone gets on your case about it, and you try and pull the weak "immature" card, niiiice. You are on permanent ignorance. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Old Man

Everyone reading this message is a Nazi!

And now, per Godwin's Law, this thread is officially over. Thank you and good night.

Don't you oppress me with your accusations of facism! You are obviously a closet Marxist, as only one of your ilk would ascribe any validity to Godwin's Law. Oh yeah, your also a stinky poop head!;)

How come I knew I would be told to take a few more classes. :)

Assertive is not condescending. Classes and appeal to credentials (unearned) is not a proof. I am assertive everyday in my profession (But then I am not a youngin and can understand the difference), ohhhhpppsss. You would not know anything about a profession. I forgot you still go to school and practice at being an adult and a professional.

BTW - I can be reimbursed for my views on psychology. Keep at your schooling. It will make a man of you, someday.

I am a Nazi......Why I never.

Originally posted by Old Man

Everyone reading this message is a Nazi!

And now, per Godwin's Law, this thread is officially over. Thank you and good night.

Hee-hee-hee, ha-ha-SNORT! LOL! I have to remember this!

Thanks, OM, that's almost better than "Plonk".

Keith "but it was entertaining while it lasted" Curtis

Re: Low fantasy, anyone?

Originally posted by tkdguy

I just want to know how many people prefer low fantasy to high fantasy. I used to love high fantasy, but my interest in it gradually declined. I enjoy historical fantasy; ie set in the real world with little or no magic. I'm talking about stuff like Ivanhoe or the Father Cadfael mysteries. Even movies with wildly inaccurate stories about real people such as Shogun or Braveheart qualify. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, but I can't be the only one who enjoys it.

I prefer low fantasy, but what most people call low fantasy I consider high fantasy indeed.