Sunnydale, California for Champions 5E

Mark Rand

Originally posted by starblaze

There are exceptions to this rule. I seem to remember Darla using twin autos on Buffy during the first season.

Thanks for the reference :) Yeah, Joss' gun theory was pertaining more to outside, where a gunshot can carry forever (sonically).

He's not anti-gun, so he uses them on occassion.

Wes is pretty wicked w/ a shotgun too :)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say that be it Faith/Buffy or Spike/Angel, a substantial amount of their *flashy* powers should be explained as extra boost (AID) skills.

Similarly, instead of the Slayer running at 9", she should probably move at 7", but with a +2" Running that'd cost extra endurance to use (maybe even with an activation roll).

This could explain why the potency of their "super powers" vary in effectiveness week-to-week, foe-to-foe.

Perhaps an example would be when Principle Wood was beating up Spike (over his trigger song).  And then Spike comes back.

Just because we see Wood pounding on Spike one epi, then Faith do it on another, doesn't mean Wood is equal (in attributes) to Faith.  It probably has more to do with Spike's skills [and what's happening when].

I beg to differ, IMO Wood was capitalizing on Spike's mental duress at overcoming his trigger, and reconciling his murdering his mother, throughout the fight.

Spike and Angel have both shown that even directly contacting a cross does little to them but burn some flesh (causing smoke).  The one glaring exception being the time Xander got Angellus to release Willow (in the H.S.) when Angel went bad (after boffing Buffy).

In a latter epi Angel maintained his kissing of Buffy while being directly touched by a cross, and she was none the wiser (to his *mild* discomfort).

P.S. - Last nite's Angel episode Rocked!!  Wesley!

short rant

Rant on:

You know what got to me about the last Season of Angel was that you had this really long storyline where the sun was being blotted out causing L.A. to riot and vampires going left and right killing people. Yet with all this going on not once do you see the U.S. government doing a damn thing about it! I mean this is a major U.S. city being blacked out with chaos ruling the day and nobody declares a state of emergency sends for the marines or anything! I spent all that time waiting ofr Riley and co. to show up doing some rescue attempts and imposing martial law but instead we see nothing!

Rant over.

P.S. And when are we going to see Cordy or Groo?! I miss Groo! And how long is Cordy going to be in that damn coma?

Ok, Rant really over

Re: short rant

Originally posted by starblaze

Rant on:

You know what got to me about the last Season of Angel was that you had this really long storyline where the sun was being blotted out causing L.A. to riot and vampires going left and right killing people. Yet with all this going on not once do you see the U.S. government doing a damn thing about it! I mean this is a major U.S. city being blacked out with chaos ruling the day and nobody declares a state of emergency sends for the marines or anything! I spent all that time waiting ofr Riley and co. to show up doing some rescue attempts and imposing martial law but instead we see nothing!

Rant over.

P.S. And when are we going to see Cordy or Groo?! I miss Groo! And how long is Cordy going to be in that damn coma?

Ok, Rant really over

Cordy's off the show.

Originally posted by Mark Rand

As I understand it, Cordy will be back for the tenth episode, then leave for good. She was a fun character. I'll miss her.

Reportedly, the Cordy epi will also be the series' 100th.  I really hope it's not her last (ever) appearance :(

I know Lindsey McDonald (Christian Kane) didn't get to fight too much, but I appreciated his character & wish he'd return.  But, the cast is pretty ample as is now.

I'm liking Eve more and more with each appearance.  I guess she's just growing on me;)

I can't wait till Druslilla next week!!

Blucas in Mi:3

Marc Blucas (aka Riley Finn) is an integral cast member in Mission Impossible III.

I hope this role breaks him though to the spotlight.  I think he's more talented than given credit for.

I was one that started off kinda hating Riley, for a bunch of reasons, but in the end (even before he left Buffy) I'd been won over & liked his character very much.

I hope Mi:3 rocks!!

Originally posted by Nightfly

Reportedly, the Cordy epi will also be the series' 100th.  I really hope it's not her last (ever) appearance :(

I know Lindsey McDonald (Christian Kane) didn't get to fight too much, but I appreciated his character & wish he'd return.  But, the cast is pretty ample as is now.

I'm liking Eve more and more with each appearance.  I guess she's just growing on me;)

I can't wait till Druslilla next week!!

I still have to catch up to Angel. I had a bad taste in my mouth for much (not all) of the series as it seemed to retread the same ground too much. I DID like the season ending with the takeover of Wolfram and Hart last season, that was a nice twist and I am optimistic. It highlights the funny thing about Buffy vs. Angel for me - I've always thought Buffy to be a great series with mostly bad season endings, whereas I've thought of Angel as a marginal series with mostly good season endings.

Anyway, what I was going to say was, bearing in mind my bias so I'm not necessarily being even-handed, I really didn't like what they did to Cordelia's character last season and a half, with the whole weird Godly power thing. I'm glad she's gone now, though I used to love her character, even in most of her stages of maturation. :(

> Reportedly, the Cordy epi will also be the series' 100th.

> I really hope it's not her last (ever) appearance :(

It almost certainly will be. Industry buzz last summer was very strong to the effect that Charisma Carpenter didn't actually quit, she got booted out the door. (Apparently, David Greenwalt was the only executive producer there who liked her character -- Tim Minear's wanted to drop the character of Cordelia over the side practically ever since he came on the show, and Fury's been "meh" on Cordy ever since season 1. And since Greenwalt left at the end of season 3, they've been writing Cordelia further and further into characterization hell, capping it off with the coma...)

Needless to say, this torques me off. Cordelia was one of /my/ fave characters too, and I've never heard anything bad about Charisma Carpenter as a person. She didn't deserve treatment like this.

As for Marc Blucas -- I have never, *EVER* liked the character of Riley Finn.

OTOH, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Marc Blucas -- he's a nice guy, he did a competent job, and it's not his fault that they gave him a part that was apparently written by retarded monkeys and directed by cretins. Even Hayden Christiansen couldn't make Anakin Skywalker look good, so we all know that a good actor can be shoved into a horrible part and look really horrible.

I've been hoping for Marc Blucas to find better work for /years/. And thus, I will hope for the success of MI:3, and maybe even go see it, despite the fact that I thought the MI franchise has been horribly handled on-screen.

Originally posted by Chuckg

(snip - I already said my Cordelia piece)

OTOH, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Marc Blucas -- he's a nice guy, he did a competent job, and it's not his fault that they gave him a part that was apparently written by retarded monkeys and directed by cretins. Even Hayden Christiansen couldn't make Anakin Skywalker look good, so we all know that a good actor can be shoved into a horrible part and look really horrible.

I've been hoping for Marc Blucas to find better work for /years/. And thus, I will hope for the success of MI:3, and maybe even go see it, despite the fact that I thought the MI franchise has been horribly handled on-screen.

I liked Riley as well as the actor okay. The one intended ongoing character I really disliked was the female police officer in the first season of Angel. The role was so-so, and the actress sucked screaming out loud, in my opinion. She's improved since moving to L&O, but I still wouldn't call her anything more than competent. Considering how strong the acting team used to be on the legal side, it's a shame, as I think also Thompson is good but not great. Now only the Watterson character is truly engaging to watch once they move into the second half hour. Still, that's reasonable enough to watch the show at least. Given her improvement, I do think the actress will continue to get better.

Being a lifelong sci-fi / horror fan I just know I wait for Angel (and formerly Buffy) more than any other show week-to-week.  Only the Trek franchise (specifically TNG & DS9) have had as much priority in my TV viewing.

I've liked how Buffy dealt with issues surrounding youth and maturation, while Angel has always explored the gray areas of uneasy alliances (plus the whole W&H aspect has always entertained me).

Beyond the producer takes on CC, there were some various rumors about why she got booted.  One possible one (I'll repeat) was her pregnancy being forced on the writers.

Personally, I accepted and appreciated Cordy's journey, except her relationship with Connor.  I really couldn't stand Connor (how he was written, nothing against Vince).

I think Elisabeth Rohm was (during Angel, s.1-2) primarily there to be a pretty face :)  Something Joss is very known for populating his shows with!:P

Blucas as Cap?

Originally posted by Nightfly

Marc Blucas (aka Riley Finn) is an integral cast member in Mission Impossible III.

I hope this role breaks him though to the spotlight.  I think he's more talented than given credit for.

I was one that started off kinda hating Riley, for a bunch of reasons, but in the end (even before he left Buffy) I'd been won over & liked his character very much.

I hope Mi:3 rocks!!

I hope him all the best with that ... though I'd love to see them cast him as Captain America :)

Originally posted by Chuckg

> Reportedly, the Cordy epi will also be the series' 100th.

> I really hope it's not her last (ever) appearance :(

It almost certainly will be. Industry buzz last summer was very strong to the effect that Charisma Carpenter didn't actually quit, she got booted out the door. (Apparently, David Greenwalt was the only executive producer there who liked her character -- Tim Minear's wanted to drop the character of Cordelia over the side practically ever since he came on the show, and Fury's been "meh" on Cordy ever since season 1.

Tim Minear's been part of the show since Season 1.

I seem to be one of the few Buffy fans who DID like Riley. As for your other point, well taken. On that score, Hayden Christensen has been getting raves for his non-Star Wars work (Life as a House, Shattered Glass)- but in Episode II, he had to be the worst actor I'd ever seen.

JG

Originally posted by James Gillen

Tim Minear's been part of the show since Season 1.

I didn't remember exactly when he arrived, so I qualified my statement. But it is true that Tim Minear's never written a decent script for Cordy, *ever*, isn't it?

And he became a producer in season 4, to fill the void left by Greenwalt.

Found two good stories with Cordelia in them on the net.

The first, set second season, has Spike with a soul (he caught the curse meant for Angelus), Angelus and Dru are the local vampire leaders, Cordy as the Slayer, Wesley is her Watcher, Oz is her boyfriend (they know he's a werewolf) and Amy's a witch and Spike's beloved. As far as Buffy, Giles, Willow and Xander go, they were killed by the Master. I don't remember the name, but it was a crossowver with Blade on slayerette.org. Last I looked, their fanfiction section was down.

The other, set first season is Chosen Ones by FantasyChick. Buffy, her mother, Joyce, Cordy, and her mother, Sandra, are all decended from the same Southern Greek Amazon tribe Gabrielle was queen of. Faith is the Slayer. Giles is her Watcher. Xander and Willow are there, too. This one is at fanfiction.net