Journey to the Center of the Earth! A new Michael Satran product!

Balabanto

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, at 9:28 AM, Journey to the Center of the Earth was completed.

Thank you all for following this thread. The supplement weighs in at 162870 words, 323 pages, with 120 pages of maps, map keys and fluff and 203 pages of character sheets and information (Plus a ton of plot seeds and options)

The supplement weighs in at 162870 words, 323 pages, with 120 pages of maps, map keys and fluff and 203 pages of character sheets and information

(Bolding added above)  Because, y'know, with over 200 pages of character sheets and info, you need some fluff in there to bring the page count up.  :winkgrin:

What Mike's not saying is that Foxbat hacked his computer, and 58,000 of the words are variations on "Foxbat rocks!", "Foxbat rules!", "Foxbat for President!  For Real This Time!" and "Foxbat is so not lame, you poopy head Defender!"

Dear Bolo of Earth,

You will believe anything after I hacked your computer! The glorious sound of Harmonious Fist ringing your doorbell while you were out proved to be most fortuitous. I apologize for Fast Eddie's lack of proper bathroom use, but he did drink all of your soda. We watched the playoffs in your living room. BWAHAHAAHHA! All the while this sows the seeds of my glorious master plan!

Yours in description of your glorious incompetence!

Sincerely,

Foxbat

P.S. I have stolen all of your soap! Bathe now, base coward! BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm throwing around ideas for the kickstarter for this product, so I thought I'd make a brief list of some of the things you guys would be interested in as stretch goals.

1) Rocks. This could also be an add on, but rocks are cheap, and could be funny.

2) Cardboard Heroes: This one has never made it in the past, but I know a lot of people would be really happy if we did that. If you guys REALLY wanted cardboard heroes, we could do them for all my previous products also. They're cheap.

3) Additional Material: This supplement already weighs in at about 353 pages, including an entire community at Earth's Center. It's a big beast of a book. I don't know what additional material we could add without turning the book into something that weighs a ton and is awkward to carry around. Imaginary Friends clocked in at 280 typed, so assume this would be about 280 with art and maps.

4) Comes in a bag with the Earth on it: This is also silly, but could be a great gag.

5) This is the one that both excites me and bothers me. Strike Force seed money. I'd be perfectly willing to give up a portion of Kickstarter funding to make sure that this book exists, but I also understand that it's kind of like holding Strike Force hostage to my product, which I don't like. On the other hand, if we make enough, the book gets made without a kickstarter, which we know, once made, Strike Force sells itself. The reason this idea seems phenomenally dumb is that your money is then effectively held in escrow until another product gets made. It's a huge risk.

Add-ons

1) Art prints. I've seen the art. It's very pretty. Somewhere around 20 bucks could get a signed art print.

2) Dice. People apparently like dice. I wonder why. We would have to get enough money to make the dice, and it would probably decrease the print run for the product. At least they would all be six sided dice. :)

3) Cat Hair: One of my cats is a huge shedder, and I'm sure that...nah. This is a really bad idea. Granted, I could probably make a new cat every two days.

So...suggestions?

Suggestions would be helpful. I'm not under any illusions that I'm not as popular as Mr. Surbrook or have anywhere near the cred that Aaron Allston does.

Cardboard heroes sounds good (if there isn't a significant cost for artwork).

If you are looking at additional material, maybe offer it as PDF supplements rather than adding to the actual book.

I like dice.

I'm not fond of funding Strike Force out of this KS. If it's truly as popular as everyone believes, it shouldn't have any problems standing on its own. Unless you think that's the draw to make this KS successful, I recommend against this option.

I don't like the idea any more than you do, but the question is "Is the risk worth the reward?" If two books can be whipped up out of one Kickstarter, that's awesome. The problem is that means that failure is not an option.

The only thing I could think of that could be done in a reasonable period of time is that Imperial Throne could be put aside for a new intro adventure called "Day of the Dinosaur Men," which I would be all too happy to write and would be about 36-48 typed pages. The problem is, it requires additional art in the form of Dinosaur Men. :)

I suppose if the stretch goal is set high enough to actually fund the second book as well as this one, it wouldn't hurt. There would just be the one caveat that you pointed out about the delivery time for the second book. If that's spelled out clearly in the description of the stretch goal, and as a risk, it might not be so bad.

ARGENT finds raw materials for Super Technology.

VIPER guided by the Supreme Serpent Nama finds their way to The Center Of The Earth to strip the resources and enslave the inhabitants.

Telios finds a genetic cornicopia at The Center Of The Earth. Setting up a new Secret facility far from the meddling Superheroes.

Istvatha V'Han's invasion forces enter through The Center Of The Earth. The surface world must send a force to hold the beach head.

More later

QM

• 2 weeks later...

The only stretch goals I really care about are more content and better production value. This book seems very big as it is so I'd like to see:

More art

Better art

Better cover

Better layout

Color

Of course I have no clue who is lined up for art, cover and layout so it might already be top notch.

Strike Force should have its own Kickstarter.  It will be a big mistake to not use the kickstarter marketing machine for a nostalgic relaunch of a beloved property.  It has many qualities that could generate a response that way over funds it and provides its own ongoing future.

Pete