Ideas Needed

The Arc

First thing I thought of was the time when Colossus was brainwashed by Arcade, and became the 'Proletarian'.

Maybe one of these criminals could be something along the lines of an older person, having been imprisoned for decades, with no knowledge of how his/her country has changed, or the world for that matter... but still carrying communist ideals?

The Common Man.

There are no records of where he came from, and his own recollection is spotty . . . although he's been known to tell stories about a few different Czars that make it sound like he was there.

Powerwise, he seems like an ordinary human with mildly better than average innate talents and a lot of combat experience. He's got just about every skill that could be useful in a military environment, but without super defenses, it's still possible for him to die in battle . . . and that's when his powers become obvious, because when he dies, he comes right back and brings a friend. This continues to happen until the sheer mass of soldiers brings victory. (Regeneration with Resurrection, and Duplication linked to the Resurrection?) The duplicates fade away (old soldiers, don't you know) after the fighting is done.

The Common Man gets **** done.

I'm working on another super-villain group and find that I need some more ideas. The group is known as Devyatb which is Russian for Nine. Devyatb are a group of super-villains who until recently were imprisoned in the Grand Gulag, an underground supermax metahuman prison in far off Siberia. In my world, metahumans first came into existence during the Great Patriotic War. However, with Stalin in power he didn't trust anyone with superpowers. He saw any of them as a threat to him. Most were made to disappear in a period known as the Secret Purge. A few were even responsible for the construction of the Grand Gulag. The few survivors of the Secret Purge were imprisoned in the Grand Gulag. Over the decades the prison was expanded and improved with each new general secretary. The prison was considered inescapable; that was until recently. Nine super-villains have escaped. This is where I need some ideas for Devyatb.

So far I've come up with the following characters.

Evrenay/Bestial (Brick)-He has the arms and legs of a beast as well as wings

Belay Vdova/White Widow (Martial Artist)-She is a genetically modified super spy.

Poteryano/Lost-She has the powers to become immaterial.

Troika (duplicator)-She can create duplicates of herself, I'm still deciding if she can make more than 2.

Vamerzaneya/Winterkill (Brick/Martial Artist)-A cyborg. He was the 1st subject of the Super-Spetzna program. Unfortunately things didn't go as planned as he went insane killing several scientists in the process. He was killed, but the state wasn't willing to let the body go to waste and turned him into a cyborg. However, he was still deemed a failure and sent off to the Grand Gulag. 

Vechnoy Merzlota/Permafrost (Energy Blaster)-Haven't put much thought on this one.

Doktor Grey Mater/Doctor Grey Mater (Gadgeteer/Mentalist)-Once a scientist, an assistant to Professor Prosperov (one of the top mad scientists in Russia). The doctor lost his body in a lab mishap and transferred his body to a robot. He then became a super-villain for several years before his capture and being sent to the Grand Gulag. His robot was destroyed and now he resides in a bubble.

So that is 7 of the 9 and I've ran out of ideas. I need at least 2 more. Also if anyone wants to help flesh out 7 I've worked on so far that would be great, especially Permafrost. Thanks for any ideas.

You have to be careful about "Americanizing" your Russian characters, that is making them foreign only by giving them an accent.

These characters are longer lived then most humans, and would have lived through a lot.  If they were young adults during World War Two they would have been born during the time of the Revolution.  The Czar would have been been a distant memory, and they would have been children when the promise of communism was at it's height.  The death of Stalin would have had them indoctrinated into the Soviet system, while they would have noticed the quite fear at home as family members would have disappeared never to been seen or spoken about again.  

On top of this they would have developed super powers, and their loyalty to the Soviet state would have meant nothing compared to the paranoia of Stalin who feared he would have been challenged.  Whether or not that would have happen would be irrelevant, the threat would have to be dealt with.  So they would have been carted off to the worse, most isolated of the Gulags, which would have made them angry, and cynical.  Then when they get out decades later they would find the Soviet Union collapsed, and a kleptocracy take it's place with many former KGB officials wealthy due to their corrupt political connects.

So, where would they go from there?

I have some thoughts on Troika.

1. She has the power of Duplication, wherein she creates three of herself.

2. She's moderately strong, tough and fast -- better than the top Olympic athletes -- but her mind is what makes her dangerous.

3. She's extremely intelligent, capable of reasoning out things from the tiniest bits of information (High Deduction and similar skills)

4. She's an instinctive Tactician (Tactics, Find Weakness, etc)

5. She's dangerous in HTH & Ranged Combat (Appropriate Talents; Martial Arts; and EB w/OAF to reflect damage with any type of object -- pick up anything and use it to hurt people).

6. She's a Natural Leader -- ergo, she's the Teams Leader.

7. When Duplicated, she shares damage between her three selves, and is able to communicate telepathically with each of them (Mind Link).

~ M

Maybe instead of Duplication she's just three times as strong, fast, and tough as a normal human being.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I do have images for a lot of the characters I'm working on.

wintertidewarrior_zpsfa9b463b.png

bestial_zps1f43562e.png

poteryano_zps6243517f.png

troika_zps53920cde.png

doctorgreymater_zps04e9ef6e.png

belaypaook_zps434b24af.png

Unfortunately a poster suggested a cosmonaut with ice powers. I already have a character named Prachvost or Blackguard who has that type of history. Maybe I should use the character with electrical powers.

As for history (as much as I've worked on it so far), White Widow has been a prisoner of the Grand Gulag since the early 60's. Troika and Poteryano are fairly recent additions.

Now I got thinking about a possible Cap. America homage with the name of Red Flag.

I've used, "People's Commando" as a Soviet expy of Captain America. He was arrested after refusing to massacre civilians. ("I protect the people. I do not murder them.") He pled guilty to disobeying orders and was sent to the gulag for life. Since then, he has been a model prisoner. He has occasionally been released to help deal with threats to the Soviet Union/Russia, but has always returned voluntarily to prison. ("I am guilty of the crime and must complete my sentence.")

Let us not forget Russia's greatest weapon:

Генеральный Зимние

(pronounced General'nyy Zimniye or General Winter)

No, seriously. Anyone who invades Russia gets corn-cobbed when Winter strikes.

True, except for the Mongols.  Mongolia is colder than Siberia when Winter strikes, hence (among other reasons) the Mongols ruled Russia for ten generations.

the codename permafrost would suggest ice powers why not have her able to use heat AND cold?

Right, because making an area cold involves removing heat, yes?  Title her abilities Thermal Powers and give her Thermal Vision, which could include IR Vision plus a type of N-Ray Vision, like the Predator.