Trek TOS Hero: Kirk

Barwickian

THoughts on this build? It's a pregen for a con, so want to keep it relatively simple.

James T. Kirk

VAL    CHA    Cost    Roll    Notes
13    STR    3    12-    HTH Damage 2 1/2d6  END [3]
15    DEX    10    12-
13    CON    3    12-
16    INT    6    12-    PER Roll 12-
18    EGO    8    13-
20    PRE    10    13-    PRE Attack: 4d6
6    OCV    15
6    DCV    15
0    OMCV    -9
3    DMCV    0
3    SPD    10    Phases:  4, 8, 12
5    PD    3    5 PD (0 rPD)
5    ED    3    5 ED (0 rED)
6    REC    2
25    END    1
13    BODY    3    
30    STUN    5

Movement    Cost    Meters    Notes
RUNNING    0    12m/24m    END [1]
SWIMMING    0    4m/8m    END [1]
LEAPING    0    4m    4m forward, 2m upward

Characteristics Total: 88

Cost    Powers
15    Luck 3d6 - END=0

Powers Total: 15

Cost    Martial Arts
3    Martial Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2 1/2d6 +v/10, Target Falls
4    Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4 1/2d6 Strike

Martial Arts Total: 7

Cost    Skills
3    Charm 13-
11    Tactics 16-
3    Riding 12-
8    Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain) 12-
3    High Society 13-
3    Combat Piloting 12-
4    TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, Equines
8    WF:  Beam Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Energy Weapons, Vehicle Weapons (group)
3    Conversation 13-
3    Deduction 12-
3    Interrogation 13-
3    Oratory 13-
3    Systems Operation 12-
20    +2 with All Attacks
4    PS 13-
2    CuK 11-
2    KS 11-
2    Paramedics 10-
2    Science Skill:  Astrogation 11-

Skills Total: 90

Cost    Perks
4    Fringe Benefit:  Captain
4    Positive Reputation (A large group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Perks Total: 8

Value    Complications
5    Distinctive Features:  Star Fleet Uniform (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20    Social Complication:  Subject to orders (Very Frequently; Major)
15    Psychological Complication: Sense of Duty:  (Common; Strong)
10    Hunted:  Star Fleet Command Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)

Complications Points: 50

Base Points: 175
Experience: 33
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 208

Also a KS Military History, and something to represent his ability to improvise weapons in the field (Weaponsmith, Archaic Weapons). He also seemed to be pretty proficient with those Tommyguns and Pistols on Mob World, WF Small Arms. Also keep in mind that he served for years before gaining command of Enterprise as a Tactical Officer. IMHO he should also have Persuasion as he is a very magnetic Personality and can talk his way into and out of any situation.

Some kind of Diving Martial Dodge should be on his list, probably some acrobatics too. Also Martial Block.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/James_T._Kirk

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/James_T._Kirk
For non Canon Sources

It was never explicitly stated in the series or movies, but there were a few times where Sulu used a few karate moves. Remember that time when the Klingons were on the Enterprise and some entity changed the phasers to swords? Sulu knocked out a Klingon in Engineering with a knifehand chop to the neck. He tried a few maneuvers (kicks, I think) on Kirk when he and Scotty were mind-controlled by those two aliens. And in Search for Spock, remember how he took down that big bruiser when he and Kirk were springing McCoy from the brig. Never call Sulu "Tiny"!

Spock would also have a combat skill level or two, but not as much as Kirk. Most of his damage came from his Vulcan strength and his neck pinch (better written up as a power than as a maneuver). However, he is proficient with the traditional Vulcan weapons, the Ahn-woon and the Lirpa.

I would consider giving Kirk a level or two in Striking Appearance.  Remember that Shatner was a very handsome man back in the day.

Also, I believe Sulu pulled out some karate moves in the episode "Catspaw."  Kirk beat him, of course, but that could be written off as Sulu having his mind clouded by the alien "sorceress" in that episode.

Right, here's what I have for the bridge crew. The security guard sheet is intended to be given to any player whose character is left on board rather than joining the landing party.

I've given all the principals a level of combat luck. Naturally, the security guards don't get this. :)

Kirk (243pts)

Spock (321pts)

McCoy (182pts)

Scotty (183pts)

Sulu (265pts)

Uhura (214pts)

Chekov (176pts)

Security Officer (39pts)

The con is tomorrow, so these will have to do for now. I'm pretty happy with them.

I have minor quibbles about all of them, but they are good enough for a con run

ie Scotty is a bit of a Scrapper and isn't afraid to start a fight with the Klingons in Trouble with Tribbles. I wonder if he might have some HtH fighting skills himself. Heck it seems likely that actual Line officers might get some Martial Arts training. I doubt the science and Medical Staff get any at all beyond Phaser Training.

PS and Off Topic. I love your Signature with "The Pledge" it's good stuff.

I would not give Kirk Interrogation, he has interogated but not as a trained person.   Deduction in a con setting I would give to spock as Kirk leads, Spok figures.  No MA as I would give him levels and he would have overall levels (5th ed GM, player). Knowledge of Star Fleet systems and the Enterprise systems.  Kirk is fit, tough and has combat luck.  All of the seven would have Combat luck and it will save new players.  Kirk is lucky but 3D6?  He makes his luck.   Professional skill spacer can use space suits, eva stuff, tools, zero g, how to handle airlocks ect.  Kirk can fly it but Sulu can really fly it and anything.  Knowledge of history good call Tasha

I run a game where everyone is a FBI agent and they start with a package FBI Training then they added to the frame work.

I gotta say, Spock's STR is way too low.  He is noticably stronger than a human; at least as far as his background is concerned (it was often ignored if another crew member just had to be able to subdue him, but that's television).

They look great though.

I believe it was on Deep Space Nine (the baseball episode) that it was established that Vulcans are three times stronger than humans.  That, and their knowledge of pressure points (called Vulcan neuropressure) is what enables them to be so effective with the neck pinch.  I don't remember a single crew member being able to subdue him through strength alone--either McCoy had to inject him with a hypospray sedative, or he had to be phaser-stunned.

Hope that helps.