Your favorite racial slur

Sociotard

Have any of you come up with derogatory names for the different races in your fantasy games? When I consider how much Elves hate drow and humans hate orcs, it seems only natural they'd develop. For that matter, the races might even grow to like some slanderous titles after a while. I don’t mind being called a redneck or a yank, for example. I guess that means they aren’t all that slanderous.

Here are a few I just thought up

Elves addressing:

Humans___Beardies

Drow_____Little Blue Brothers

Dwarves__Mole-man

Originally posted by Monolith

I once played an elf in a FH game, and every called the character a "tree hugger." :)

I used to have a dwarf in a world with similiar comments on elves, and he went as far as to tell one pointy earred woodsmen "Oh, go find a knot-hole, why don'tcha?"

Took the elf (and player) a moment to catch on to the full insult.*EG*

I have had elves refered to with many different terms from the "What?" catagory to the "Hey You Cant Say That This is A Family Game" catagory.

Dandylion picker to References of their pointed ears comming from Orc ancestry. (Which of course can offend the Character in question every time.)

Mostly it is brought on by the elves attitude as they seem to be played out as very arogant holier than thow best at every thing and magic to types by my players.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

So how many of your favorite fantasy race does it take to change a light bulb?

Ents: Just one, but he has to go get advice from his buddies first. It usually takes around 150 years.

Elves: Doesn't matter. Your dwarf friend was talking so loudly we might have shot him in the dark.

I ran an elves campaign that had a lone dwarf pc who had a litany of named for the elves he adventured with:

"limp-wristed-eco-terrorists" was one of my favorites

there was also:

"(insert name of magical creature) humpers" -- usually followed by a stream of comments on how poorly endowed elves are, or something like: "welcome to elf-land, the land where the elflads have perfected bad aim, the elfladies are lonley, and the centaurs are afraid!"

"beatnik bark eaters" -- usually followed by some horrible bout of tree oriented prose in broken pentameter

"degenerate tree lovers" -- often followed my a stream of insults having to do with having sex with trees and comments like "maybe you'll find a dryad instead of badger in it this time laddy!"

"pointy eared pixy pumpers" -- or just "go pump yer pixie!"

"pixie-poppers" or "dust heads" -- a reference to substance abuse involving pixie-dust, which he just assumed was the case (the gamemaster, me, sure didn't know what he was talking about).

Where we got a kilt wearing dwarven drill seargent with a scottish accent I'll never know, but he was... memorable.

I can't believe I'm replying to this, but ...

I've had this dive (tavern) in a number of fantasy campaigns I've run, and it never fails to amuse.

The place is called the Blue Dwarf.

Why?

Because that's what color dwarves turn when you hold them underwater.

Really, it's a bad bad place.

And generally on a seacoast, I'm not sure why.....

All of our races have unique names even if they are similar to standard fantasy races.

Then we make the standard fantasy racial names the derogitory.

I think a perfect example of this would be from Tolkein.

The hobbits being called halflings.

The advantage is that the names are already in the vernacular. Then the true name of the race becomes formal, and even snobbish:

" I am Nom-ri, and expect you to acknowledge me as such."

"Dwarf is what you are," spits on the ground, "and dwarf is how you will die...."

Simple, easy, and sounds good.

Just a thought. IMO, things like "pinkie, tree hugger" and so on seem out of place and a little too modern for me.

That said, here's a stab:

dwarf: grubbies, dirt-monkeys, picks

elf: fairies, greens

halfling: stunties