How to create a reality warping power

Basic204

I'm currently trying to build an NPC with reality warping power. I wanted to know how do I go about doing that so far I'm using transform and transform with an area of effect would that work ?

You didn't learn what I was trying to show in the other threads.

The Powerset is called "Reality Warping" YOU need to say in plain English what that power does. Explain it to everyone here like we were going to be writing a comic book about your character. Detail out in English (not in Hero game speak) every way you see the character use the power.

ie My Character Foxfire has Fire powers She can

1. Blast others with Fire

2. Create a surf board out of fire and fly

3. protect herself with the heat of her flaming body

4. create a bright burst that can blind others

etc.

Unless you work the character in a similar way to above, you will not be able to write your character up.

We call doing this Reasoning from Effect. I am just asking you to tell me what effects you want for the character.

Ok the NPC has the power of reality warping. 

Reality warping would be able to create, change, destroy, or even alter reality just by thinking about it 

Like being able to change a players gender, or suddenly making the sky purple or doing stuff like bringing a building or objects to life or bringing people from the past to the future. They can create anything they can imagine. the NPC is a 4 year old the PCs will have to deal with. The character is 4 and is from another dimension were everyone can do this but in ours its a big problem but being this NPC is only 4 and has no real idea what they are doing is wrong the players will have to figure out how to deal with a small child with the power of damn near a god. 

With reality warping they could also change physics and so on all of it real but it stops once the user is knocked out. 

Is that good or do you need more details ? 

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Reality_Warping

Those are all Transformation [Major] Attacks.  That can get expensive

Reality warping would be able to create, change, destroy, or even alter reality just by thinking about it 

Like being able to change a players gender, or suddenly making the sky purple or doing stuff like bringing a building or objects to life. They can create anything they can imagine. the NPC is a 4 year old the PCs will have to deal with. 

With reality warping they could also change physics and so on all of it real but it stops once the user is knocked out. 

Those can be all transformation attacks (Turning things into things).  That could get expensive.

If it's a matter of just a variety of attacks, EB Variable Special Effects would be the way to go.  

You could also throw in Telekinesis and Entangle with VSFX, perhaps with an Indirect Attack for bringing items to life, and having them attack people.

Reality warping is a special effect. The actual powers described could be Transforms, Summonings, or Extra-Dimensional Movement. To handle all the possibilities of a four-year-old's imagination would require a very expensive VPP. I might consider some kind of limitation on the power, like not being able to affect living things directly. It's hard for me to see how anyone in the vicinity of that kid would survive for very long. Including the kid.

For what I asked, I don't really care what another website laundry lists as powers. Though it does explain the feeling of powershopping and that you didn't have a solid character in mind. Perhaps Champions Powers would be a good investment.

From that littlebit you describe the character has a HUGE Cosmic VPP. Most of the stuff you describe are large Transformation attacks. Changing the Sky's color is a Change Environment megascaled. Bringing people from the past or future is Summoning with Specific person.

I would still recommend listing powers the kid can do. Think about An Attack, A Defense, A Movement power then everything else. This character could be a fun thing to battle or it could be very annoying (ie see the Fantastic Four vs The Impossible Man or Superman vs   Mr Mxyzptlk, also re: all Supers have been done before). This character is a very advanced design, and may suffer from your vision exceeding your ability to build the PC. The character SHOULD have some kind of weakness that the PC's should be able to figure out and exploit (I would have more than one weakness because the Players will NOT figure out your ONE weakness)

If you were a more advanced player/GM I would say to write up some cool effects, but not worry too much about the character write up. This character is more of an event than a character.

Like being able to change a players gender, or suddenly making the sky purple or doing stuff like bringing a building or objects to life or bringing people from the past to the future. They can create anything they can imagine. the NPC is a 4 year old the PCs will have to deal with. The character is 4 and is from another dimension were everyone can do this but in ours its a big problem but being this NPC is only 4 and has no real idea what they are doing is wrong the players will have to figure out how to deal with a small child with the power of damn near a god. 

Reasoning from effect means reasoning from what the power accomplishes. Consider the limiting case of Transforming someone into anything. Transforming someone into someone dead is the point of attack powers. Therefore, a Transform that makes someone dead should cost as much as an attack that can kill that person. (Allowing for different defences being in play.) If we visualise a more flexible power that can also render the target combat ineffective (Entangle), and so on, we can see that this NPC will be very expensive, and probably benefit from a VPP.

Or you can follow the common suggestion for an NPC, and use Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable on Others: to go to an other universe where the effects of the change apply. Note that we are talking about power effect, still, not special effect. Using EDM in this way does not commit you to having a multiverse. Clearly it is an utter, blatant bit of munchkining to allow a PC to have this power, but it does allow you to write up the NPC. One and done!

Whether he'll be as much fun to use as you think is another question entirely.

Yeah, since it's an NPC you just don't bother to build it.  Just declare what they do and leave it at that.  If you want to freak out your players, before you perform an effect, grab as many dice as you can hold in both hands and roll them.  Pretend to count up the numbers and then look down at a character sheet.  Pretend to do math, then look up at one of the players and ask how much Power Defense he has.

You can build a reality warping power, but honestly there are so many possibilities that it's not worth it.  It's like saying "how many points would it take to build God?"

The characters really aren't meant to fight this character, from what I gather.  They interact with him but not in a combat sense.  So there's no more reason to give him a writeup than you would a hot dog vendor.

I'd suggest starting out with simpler characters until you have a better handle on the system.

I would also like to loudly suggest this very thing. Try to build some simple characters. Pick an elemental type (ice, Fire, Cold, Water, radiation etc) and figure what abilities someone with that elemental type could have. Try it with different archetypes (ie Martial Artist, Energy Projector, Brick, Weapon Master, etc). Start simple first. Then complicate when you know the system better.

Yeah, since it's an NPC you just don't bother to build it.  Just declare what they do and leave it at that.  If you want to freak out your players, before you perform an effect, grab as many dice as you can hold in both hands and roll them.  Pretend to count up the numbers and then look down at a character sheet.  Pretend to do math, then look up at one of the players and ask how much Power Defense he has.

You can build a reality warping power, but honestly there are so many possibilities that it's not worth it.  It's like saying "how many points would it take to build God?"

The characters really aren't meant to fight this character, from what I gather.  They interact with him but not in a combat sense.  So there's no more reason to give him a writeup than you would a hot dog vendor.

I agree. Its more of a plot device than anything else. 

When I consider a character with "reality warping" Powers, I look at all the most flexible Powers and Modifiers the game offers. As others have mentioned, Transform is one of the best choices for this, as is Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable As An Attack, with a Special Effect of "creating a 'dimension' where the desired conditions exist." Change Environment is also excellent at creating a wide range of effects with little damage capability, but altering the environmental conditions over a large area for relatively little CP cost. If the "reality" being warped is more perception than physical existence, Mental Illusions and Images are an inexpensive way to go. Shape Shift is appropriate if the character can alter himself as well as his surroundings. Attack Powers bought with Variable Advantages and Variable Special Effects are quite expensive, but allow them to appear as practically anything.

The maximum in reality-warping flexibility is to buy all these Power constructs within the Variable Power Pool Framework, but that can be very complex to run in-game, and if CP totals are a consideration it gets really pricey.