Evil Team, Help Wanted, Refreshments served

Rechan

Okay here's the deal.

My PCs have pissed off a number of groups. The groups are:

The New Purple Gang. In my game they are a little bit more then just street thugs with big guns; they have had some outside help, not to mention someone has been teaching them military-esque tactics and discipline.

The Tongs. Millennium City's Chinese mafia. One PC in paticular has severely dishonored and humiliated them.

Greymalkin Inc. A corporation headed by an underworld player who has his fingers in lots of illicit pies. His main arena is tech, biology, and other arenas. He also is Hunting the PC's founder (Another Corporate head who's encrouching on Greymalkin's territory).

Here's what I'm thinking. One of these groups comes to Greymalkin and says: We hate these guys, you hate these guys, you help us, fund us, we train and beat the crap out of them.

So here you have a team funded by Greymalkin with tech, aided by the Tongs via manpower/underworld resources, and the NPG by either suitable men, mooks, or backup firepower, and you have a potentially deadly group against my PCs.

The PCs themselves break down thus far:

Team Leader, Ghost Knight: A molecular telekinetic who has vast control over innatimate objects; can Desol into the matter around him, warp the enviornment, not a bad martial artist, really a Swiss Army knife of powers.

Guy Neville, Private Eye: A speedster with the ability to teleport, and other time related powers; drain speed or dex, increase speed or dex, bullet time, etc.

DarkGlow, all around Bad Mofo: Your angsty dark brooding Shadow manipulator. Can go invisible (but only to regular vision), teleport, entangle, TK.

Ming, Support Character: Mentalist with Mind Link that is a 'fusion' character allowing other characters to partially swap the others' powers. She has an Ego attack and Mind link, her Telepathy/Mental illusions only work if she knows a target's real name.

CHARACTER I AM NOT SURE IS STILL WITH US: Tia, morphing android. She has parts that can be popped off and refitted (a metamorph power) so she's customizable. Usually a brick or other combat power.

NPC: Lydon, driver of Tengu, superpowered Suiter. He is not regular team member.

Their sheets are listed here: http://pandoraslair.org/m.php?id=295

All that I am looking for is some moderately powerful, INTERESTING CONCEPTS for Superteams of badguys with these resources. I have CKC, I've looked over it, nothing has grabbed my attention and said 'USE IT!'. I want something I havn't thought of, something which can be a very intellegent team who can deal with a smart group of heros.

EDIT: I changed my mind, having a THEMED group isn't going to work for the simple fact of imagine saying "I'll give you fifty thousand dollars to train together, get rated with these weapons, develop team tactics under Sergeant Deathface, and take out Team Tengu. Oh, and you all have to wear animal costumes". It's absurd. So I guess it's a group comprised of different individuals.

So I need some ideas of good individuals, perhaps someone from the NPG and outfitted with new, GM funded tech, someone from the Chinese Mafia's resources, powers or no, etc.

No blatant stereotypes, no stock 'brick, projector, speede, MA, mentalist' all in the same vicinity, please.

Well, question... does this villain team WANT the heroes to know (in part at least) who is responsible for crushing them? or do they want to protect that? it might change what motiff they go with if, for example, the Tong wants to keep it's involvement in the team creation hidden. No "Dragon" motiff , for example.

If you want a slightly comedic approach (but one that might throw off your heroes because it seems so ABSURD), I introduce you to ... THE INTERROGATIVES! (As a side note, I'm not familiar with Greymalkin, so I don't know if they can create superhumans. Most of this could possibly be done with really high-tech gear, though.)

WHAT! The team muscle-man, the radiation treatments that gave him his phenomenal strength and durability also left him half-deaf in both ears, which gave rise to his codename. "WHAT? I can't hear you. WHAT?!"

WHO! An insidious shapeshifter, once a simple con-man and disguise artist. But he kept getting so into his characters, he began to lose track of who he really was.

WHERE! The obligatory teleporter, albeit one with a truly lousy sense of direction and NO map-reading ability whatsoever. "Okay, now we turn left onto this blue road." *SPLASH* "Oh ... that's a river."

WHEN! The power to manipulate TIME ITSELF is at his beck and call! Unfortunately, he has a chronically short attention span, which means despite being the master of time, he's always late and goes last in combat because he noticed something shiny.

WHY! The team's mentalist, he can bend wills to his command, create illusions, and unleash psychic bolts of incredible intensity, capable of stunning elephants! However, he's very depressed, so it's hard to motivate him to do it.

Yes, this could be really stupid ... on the other hand, imagine how humiliated your heroes would be if they actually lost to these losers? It'd be worse than falling to 'The Worst Villains In Europe'. :)

Originally posted by Rechan

Some blatant stereotypical 'Asian = Dragon' could be avoided period, hopefully. :)

Assume that neither group want their involvement present.

Well, that's my idea out of the window, then. It was only in the early stages and just something I thought of as I read the initial post.

I was thinking of:-

"Purple Haze", who can create darkness fields or maybe just fog (Change Environment), go Desolid and possibly has some kind of knock-out gas attack (might be a rival for DarkGlow and probably useful against a lot of the heroes);

"Purple Rain" (yes, I know, I said it was just something off the top of my head), with weather powers (maybe some nice elctrical-based powers for damaging foci);

"Purple Prose", a mentalist with the power of confusion through manipulating the linguistic centres of the brain, probably got Universal Translator too;

"Purple Rose", (sister of the above) who has energy projector powers (you can crib Sapphire, basically), or possibly the power to use EDM to go into film and TV images, but that seems a bit too much and maybe overlaps with Purple Haze;

"Purple Passion", an empath with emotion manipulation powers, who is especially good at inspiring lust in men;

and behind the scenes, explaining why the heroes get their butts kicked first time around, is the team leader, "Deep Purple", with a superb mind, high Tactics roll and lots of Intellect Skills (especially a KS about each hero) and Power-based "super skills".

Shame you can't use them!

EDIT: I should have explained the slightly silly names are a result of Greymalkin's influence. The tech team had a sense of humour!

Also Deep Purple has some form of Mind Link (possibly a power, but more likely shielded and concealed radio communications) with the field team.

Assume I'm not looking for vaudeville act or an Avon Perfume rack. :)

My game is not 'Comic Book' material. It's very Dark Champion in that it deals with the Mafia, criminals, etc. The Ghost Knight is a vigilante who goes for any criminal, no matter how high or who. DarkGlow is an Ex-assassin, Ex only because some mystery organization has a gun to his head, literally.

I'm looking for hard core, ruthless, intelligent and severely capable bad guys. The above samples would be shredded within a few turns.

Assume I'm not looking for vaudeville act or an Avon Perfume rack. :)

My game is not 'Comic Book' material. It's very Dark Champion in that it deals with the Mafia, criminals, etc. The Ghost Knight is a vigilante who goes for any criminal, no matter how high or who. DarkGlow is an Ex-assassin, Ex only because some mystery organization has a gun to his head, literally.

I'm looking for hard core, ruthless, intelligent and severely capable bad guys. The above samples would be shredded within a few turns.

Sorry, but I think it may have been your invoking the Royal Flush Gang, and the group you have called "The New Purple Gang". Neither at least to me inspire thoughts of Dark Champions as much as they do something much more Silver Agey. I wouldn't say that the other ideas would necessarily be shredded in a few turns if they were built and played to be a threat rather than as a joke.

That is sort of the key, play the concept as a joke and it will be treated as a joke. If you are referring to the verision of the Royal Flush gang that I'm thinking of (a family of thieves, 10 gets romantically involved with the new Batman in their secret IDs?), they worked because rather than having the rather silly concept played for laughs, they were played as a serious threat. Do the same with whatever concept you decide upon.

One possiblity, that would emphasize the grittier aspect would be to have the team they are fighting not use code names or costumes at all. Put them all combat clothing but more like a military uniform, than a super hero costume. Have them all use each others first names. Given what you are saying is going on, I would go with the concept of skilled normals with High Tech gadgets.

As for themes you can come up with all sorts from any of the three groups you've got involved in this plot. I'm going to let this stew for a bit and come up with a couple of alternatives for you.

I mention the Royale Flush gang because of the THEME of their group: The King, Queen, Jack, Ace and Ten, their weapons and costumes are card styled. I'm not looking for just 'some independent guys chucked into a group'. But see the 'edited' portion of the thread now.

Yes, they are a serious threat, but what I'm emphasizing is that 'group cohesive theme'.

And hey, what can I say, NPG is gritty to me: a gang of street toughs with military tactics and high explosives and tech?

And No. Greymalkin cannot create supers. I don't want to open that can of worms yet.

Well, I'll tell ya, I LOVE the Royal Flush gang. But that's just me...

One of the toughest things I've ever thrown at a group of heroes is a platoon of agents armed with Multi-Blasters and wearing my Mk. IX Turtle Armor.

The specs aren't really important. You know how to make powered armor with a jet pack attached, you know how to make a gun with a multipower in it. I also recommend Infravision for all the suits as standard, as well as some form of secure comunication between themselves and the team leader.

The important thing is the training and tactics of the platoon. Each git has the Teamwork skill at AT LEAST 12 or less. This is KEY! This will allow the team to consistantly pull off the Combined Attacks they will need to bring the heroes down. Also give each git Stealth at 12-.

I like to send in my guys in fire teams of three each. Each hero has onne fire team assigned to him. The Team Leader will also usually keep himself and two more fire teams hidden and kept in reserve. That's 15 gits in the main assault, with another 7 in reserve.

Then, if the hero is a low STR hero like a martial artist or most power projectors, on the team's action they do a Combined Attack with their 4D6 Flash, AOE cone. After that, layer a few 6D6 Entangles and forget them. This would work for Nevill and maybe DarkGlow.

For Bricks, it's combined 4D6 Flash, AOE cone followed by combined 8D6 APEBs until they drop. You could take Tia down this way, and DarkGlow if the Entangles wouldn't hold him.

For mentalists it can be tougher. Often they are stealth characters too, so finding them can be problemic. Once they're found, though I tend to stick with NNDs to take them down.

The guy with Desolid is a tough one. Desolid always presents a problem. I'd say the only way to take him down would be to catch him from ambush with head shots.

The heros will be able to smack down the agents mano a mano. That's ok, that's why there are SO MANY agents. Also, as each fire team manages to take down their assagned hero, they can regroup and assist other fire teams. And, if one hero is getting the better of his fire team, the agents can just fall back and Roll With the Punches until either the reserves join in or other fire teams are freed up.

I've attached my Mk. IX Turtle Armor agent character sheet. Use it if you like.

If it were me, though, I'd have used the Royal Flush gang. ;)

All right, then: since you're looking for something with a more Dark Champions feel, I decided to look through my DC stuff for something appropriate. I think I've found a team that you could justify these particular groups bringing together, that would be suitable as villains for your PCs: "The Pack," from the excellent 4E Dark Champs adventure book Shadows of the City by Scott Sigler.

Mongrel, team leader. Armondo Lincoln Mohammed, a young man of thoroughly mixed race, was originally an idealistic crusader for equal rights. By age 21 he had gotten on the wrong side of powerful people who killed his parents and framed Armondo for the murder. In jail he had to fight to survive, but was taken under the wing of an ex-Marine who taught him how to fight unarmed or with many weapons. Armondo became vicious and cynical, loyal only to himself and the members of his "pack." He has taken the prison nickname "Mongrel." He's exceptionally strong and fast for a normal human, a highly skilled combatant and tactician, and uses a variety of modern weapons.

Hellhound, formerly cabdriver P.J. Miles, picked on a whim by an evil sorceror and transformed into a fiery demonic form to serve as his slave. When the sorceror was killed P.J.'s will was freed, but his body remained demonic so that he couldn't return to his family and former life. Although not originally a bad person, evil magic is increasingly corrupting him. He was also mystically "programmed" to follow orders. Hellhound can fly, project fire to burn or blind, and has enhanced senses based on detecting heat patterns.

Moondog, aka Scott Christian, was a young man from a small town in Alabama until his first transformation into a monstrous wolf-man form. Fleeing from the local sherrif's men who thought he was a monster, Scott ran away to the city, living on the streets. Scott feels fate has done him wrong, but is smart and ambitious and willing to use his new muscle to climb the criminal ladder if that's his only option. He can now change from Scott to Moondog at will; as Moondog he's superhumanly strong and tough, resistant to weapon damage, with a vicious bite.

Doberman. Willie Stempky was always a violent, vicious kid. He ran with a street gang and became known as a reliable enforcer. Ending up in prison at 17, he became the protege of the same ex-Marine who had trained Mongrel. Willie's new skills complemented his nearly-superhuman speed and agility, making him a deadly fighter. He gained the nickname "Doberman" after tearing another inmate's throat out with his teeth. As Doberman he wears metal claws on each hand, and a head harness with artificial steel teeth over his normal jaws.

Rottweiler. Angus (his only other known name) was sold into slavery at the age of 13, and trained as a pit fighter. Angus has great superhuman strength, surprising speed for such a massive man, and the ability to regenerate rapidly from any wound; but his intellect is that of a child. Years in the arena have taught him to be a skilled hand-to-hand combatant, his specialty being a back-breaking grip. Rottweiler would be very loyal to anyone who took him out of the arena and treated him with respect.

I'm not looking for "Group #4432 with this color guns and clothing". A platoon of military officers really isn't that interesting on a personal level.

I want the Sinister Six. I want these guys to bring more to the table then their niche to the group. I want the PCs TO HATE THEM, to hate Each one of them. I want these guys to be Nemesi. These guys are supposed to hunt down all the information on the PCs themselves, to hunt down their DNPCs, to make the PCs lives a LIving Hell. They are Seek and Destroy, but not just wham and bam, you have to Out Think my party because half of them have ungodly High Ints, not to mention the players are SMART.

Not Sure What You Want

If you are looking for idea's, then this is the place. If you are looking for very specific info to defeat your players, then in reality that only comes from you.

A lot of good suggestions have been made, but they center on different/creative uses of powers & tactics. This is especially important in a Dark Champions campaign, because you just can't have Dr. Destroyer's minions showing up.

Having villians your characters despise usually depends on two things: villians that have powers they PC's can't oppose, or GMing intelligent villians. Intelligent villians learn, get experience, and develop tactics that will work no matter which hero's they face.

For example, if the PC's are protective of innocents, have villians that will endanger innocents in order to escape.

Most smart villians have more than one way to escape if things go bad.

Smart villians will try to have their crimes finished before the PC's can ever show up; that leads to long investigations which will really enahnce the enjoyment of any future battle.

Smart villians will use retreating ambushes to ward off pursuit - "if we are stopped, meet at this killing zone. We will pre-postion heavey weapons/explosives/nerve gas, and either eliminate the pursuit or ensure escape"

I'm not trying to be critical, but your responses seem to indicate that you are looking for very specific info, to fit a very specific agenda. You won't get that here, only ideas to help you make your game more of what you want it to be.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Caris summarised what I was aiming at with “The Purplesâ€. They sound silly and are actually deadly, able to exploit weaknesses in the heroes. Like Caris, I was interested to read that your heroes would “shred†villains who have powers that exploit specific vulnerabilities in the PCs and who attack from surprise and with teamwork…Caris made some other very good points, as did phydaux and Fur Face. I am not at all surprised nothing in CKC grabbed you, because you are after something exceedingly specific.

OK, let’s see if we NOW have all of your criteria. You’d have liked a theme, but think this goes against the tone of your campaign. Now that you’ve given more details, I am inclined to agree. However, you want more than just a group of people with guns, because you (rightly) think this is not interesting enough.

You said that Greymalkin has interests in biological technology and the PCs all have innate powers, so it’s not surprising that Crosshair Collie and I thought it wouldn’t be a stretch to have super-powered villains created by that corporation..

What you haven’t said is if power suits are a possibility from Greymalkin’s tech. My suggestions can be built with our without this.

I can’t see how, realistically, they can have a “Sinister Six†style history with the PCs and fit in with your other criteria. Maybe there are people who fit the bill already, but I’d go along with Fur Face and say that you make the players hate their foes because they are nasty, efficient, dangerous, sneaky and amoral.

Running the risk of being told (yet) again that this is not what you are after, how about:-

FlashFire - A former special weapons expert. Powers include flares (these illuminate areas , denying DarkGlow any areas of shadow in which to use his powers and can also be used offensively, burning through enemies), flash bangs (to disorientate the heroes and to trigger DarkGlow’s vulnerability to Flash attacks), incendiary devices and a flamethrower (miniature one, a bit like the kind on Mandalorian armour in the Star Wars universe), to prey on DarkGlow‘s fire weakness. Note the spelling of FlashFire’s name, echoing DarkGlow. He might conceivably set fire to a hero’s apartment block (or one where a DNPC lives) or murder a contact or DNPC horribly through fire.

Bombast - A demolitions expert. He is equipped with various explosive devices, including grenades, rocket launchers and bombs. He demolishes buildings in the area the heroes have been lured to, ensuring there are precious few shadows for DarkGlow, and little for Ghost Knight to enter or use his powers on. He also gets to the heroes. Imagine them being told a time bomb has been planted at their home, their workplace, or that of a DNPC. Maybe friends and relatives are killed by car bombs or other booby traps. Remember something similar happening in “Lethal Weapon 2� He can also plant a bomb as a distraction or to facilitate an escape, such as blowing a hole in a wall or taking out a building.

Lockdown - A former military policeman. He has entangling powers, including area effect entangles (net launchers and riot foam), tangler grenades, a wire garrotte/lasso and martial arts style Chin Na which I believe was designed to restrain escapees (see UMA). He also has gas grenades which he can use to knock out people caught in the Entangles. He is designed to take out Guy Neville. Guy would probably be the one the villains target first, as his SPD and DEX Drains could hurt them and mess up their plans.

Shock Trooper - A communications expert. He has communications gear (shielded), maybe a portable computer or some kind of uplink to one. His main offence comes from electrical powers either from a suit or a gun. This could be an EB and maybe he also has a foci destroyer option (Penetrating RKA only against circuitry). He is primarily good against Tia, but can also be used against Tengu, should he show up. Shock Trooper can also generate interference in communications equipment, preventing people from calling for help (their systems are shielded against this). Naturally, he also has a support function.

Vulcan - A former machine gunner. He has been equipped with a lightweight, but extremely effective mini-gun, plus a strength-enhancing exo-skeleton. I suggest using an Area of Effect to simulate laying down huge numbers of bullets, maybe with Cone and Line options (both with No Range, of course). He can be used to attack Ghost Knight , DarkGlow and Guy Neville in particular, by laying down covering fire. It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t know exactly where you are because he pumps out so many bullets, he’ll hit you anyway.

Black Fox - A former secret service agent. He has infiltration skills and is generally sneaky and stealthy. He is the one who shadows heroes and finds out their secrets, kidnaps DNPCs and generally causes trouble behind the scenes. He is also an expert martial artist and can be called upon to fight Ghost Knight (no equipment for him to affect). He probably has sniper skills and access to a high-powered rifle, a silenced pistol and throwing knives. My suggestion would be to keep him well behind the scenes in the first fight and maybe the players don’t even know that there is another member in the squad until he breaks the team out of jail (assuming they ever make it that far!)

Their background is that they have all done military service in China and are now seeking to make money in the USA as a team of Tong-sponsored mercenaries. If you go the power armour route, the players won’t even know their foes are Chinese at first. They all have shielded communications, Mental Defence in headbands or helmets (Ming can only EGO attack them without knowing their names, so this is to protect them against Ego Attacks) and typical military skills. As you would expect, they also have Tactics and Teamwork too. They can be built either with power armour, or with guns, grenades, rocket launchers, and other, more advanced types of “realistic†equipment.

Bearing in mind the nature of the Chinese military, some of the villains could be female. Black Fox and Lockdown are the two I see being most likely to be female. They all use codenames for efficiency and to prevent Ming from using her more effective powers.

I once made a team that matched the PC group in power and status. They were all psi based so you may want to dump that part but the PC's hated them after one meeting.

One of the reasons was the the PC's had to scramble to even break even in the battle. The villians weren't that much more powerful, but I had worked out many tactic beforehand with the idea that they (villians) had been watching the PC's for awhile and knew how they would react. This drove the PC's nuts.

I also threw in some powers that the PC's were morally against. One of the villians would steal souls of the PC's this really freaked out a PC who dealt with spirits.

The final thing I did was get all charges dropped. The villians hadn't done anything that there was proof of and they had the resources to hire lawyers to get charges dropped.

This really upset the PC's.

My suggestion are to think about what your PCs would hate to have happen, make villians like that. Then plan, plan and plan more of what the villans will do in certain situation. And then if captured, release them.

Matthew

Crimson Arrow, that was Exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah, you are right, I am looking for stuff that's specific. But at the time, I have had no ideas for anything to base it off of. I had no power concepts, I had no character concepts.

I didn't mean the Sinister Six in that they are previous villians lumped together, because well... the PCs havn't Made any super villain enemies. And I just don't see the purples that effective, IMHO. :)

I am likely going to use Flashfire and/or Bombast. My group is pretty much immune to Entangle, with two of them having teleport and one with Desol. With Tia and Tengu practically Never used (I havn't heard back from Tia's player in a month if he can make the game anymore).

Yes, Greymalkin can fund powersuits. Infact, that's part of what I'm planning on. I am just not ready to play with the purposed ability to alter genetics. One of the PCs is trying to do this and it... could get ugly. :)

Here is what I was thinking: 5-6 individuals. One from the Tongs ranks or from their resources (They have been dishonored, it's important that one of their own releave that dishonor), One recruit from the NPG (just give him some weapons, etc, and have his personality take him farther and more interesting), one contributed by Greymalkin (I'm thinking likely an android or biorg here), and 2 or 3 from abroad.

Possibly the Android would be something like a Damage Reflector and a minimal shapeshifter. Damage reflection in the sense of: You hit me, I absorb the damage, then release the force into you. And minimal shapeshifting ala Mystique.

That's about as far as I've gotten. Thanks for your patience. ;)

Glad there was something in my second try you think you can use.

On the Entangle point, yes Guy Neville has Teleport, but I wouldn't let that power with the "must cross intervening space" Limitation be used it to get out of an Entangle. Of course, your style might be different and only you can be the ultimate arbiter of what goes in.

Good luck with the rest.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

"Purple Haze", who can create darkness fields or maybe just fog (Change Environment), go Desolid and possibly has some kind of knock-out gas attack (might be a rival for DarkGlow and probably useful against a lot of the heroes);

"Purple Rain" (yes, I know, I said it was just something off the top of my head), with weather powers (maybe some nice elctrical-based powers for damaging foci);

"Purple Prose", a mentalist with the power of confusion through manipulating the linguistic centres of the brain, probably got Universal Translator too;

"Purple Rose", (sister of the above) who has energy projector powers (you can crib Sapphire, basically), or possibly the power to use EDM to go into film and TV images, but that seems a bit too much and maybe overlaps with Purple Haze;

"Purple Passion", an empath with emotion manipulation powers, who is especially good at inspiring lust in men;

and behind the scenes, explaining why the heroes get their butts kicked first time around, is the team leader, "Deep Purple", with a superb mind, high Tactics roll and lots of Intellect Skills (especially a KS about each hero) and Power-based "super skills".

You mind if I use them? They'll work as villains in my campaign-in-the-works.

My suggestion for what its worth, based on a team we played a long time ago.

The group are family members. Brothers and sisters. possibly from the Tong, equipped by the others. The family is equipped with cybernetics, or has been altered biologically via secret serums or drugs provided by Gremalkin.

A family has a strong cohesiveness and know each other well. They can have interlinked powers due to similar biology even. Yet no two are alike.

I'm not looking for "Group #4432 with this color guns and clothing". A platoon of military officers really isn't that interesting on a personal level.

I want the Sinister Six. I want these guys to bring more to the table then their niche to the group. I want the PCs TO HATE THEM, to hate Each one of them. I want these guys to be Nemesi. These guys are supposed to hunt down all the information on the PCs themselves, to hunt down their DNPCs, to make the PCs lives a LIving Hell. They are Seek and Destroy, but not just wham and bam, you have to Out Think my party because half of them have ungodly High Ints, not to mention the players are SMART.

Then have them be potential threats in an indirect fashion.

Have them be potential threats to:

secret identities

personal assets

important npcs

dnpcs

etc.