Shapeshifter Mode Lock

Steve

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would one build a power that locks a shapeshifter into their current form? If it's an alternate form from their base shape, like a wizard shifted into the form of an owl, how would you lock them into owl form?

Well, the answer to this will depend on how the shape shift was built in the first place.

In the case of a Shape Shift power that goes to a single form, such a "mode lock" would essentially keep the power running, the possessor unable to turn it off. That isn't a Dispel situation, but I'm unsure if Transform is the right answer either.

In the case of a Shape Shift power that goes to many forms, "mode lock" would keep the possessor in one of their forms. I thought I read somewhere that Shape Shift can overcome Transform and let the person with Shape Shift change to one of their forms.

What the transform would do is not force someone into a form, but force their shape shift to not be able to change.  That would be a minor effect (5 points per die) to me.

Now, here's where I go a bit off topic, but it is related.  There is a construct that someone suggested a while back using Drain as a construct for a "curse" type effect.  What it would do is work somewhat like transform, but be for specific types of effects.  Using the same power design as drain (fading on its own etc), this would allow characters to impose a negative effect on the target such as complications (unluck, susceptibility) or even impose limitations on a power.

For example, a Curse which causes all the target's powers to have an Extra Time limitation, or to give the character uncontrolled on their power so they can't shut it off (such as this thread).  Its possible to do such a thing with Transformation, so that could be the alternate, but I always liked the concept.

I have built a few constructs using mind control based on body instead of Ego.  It doesn't control their mind, it controls their physical frame.  This works well for inanimate objects as well; if you control the material of the object would could you make it do?  It seems a more elegant design for a power than telekinesis, but I'm not sure its legal.

Mind Control with one command "Stay in this form" based on CON seems like the best solution. It's controlling the body rather than the mind that way.

This could also work for some kind of potion or formula that locks the shape, with additional Limitations.

Like I said, depends on how both powers are defined and how the GM would rule based on intent.

Mind Control can be overcome with an EGO roll.

But the "stay in this form" power needs to work regardless of how the shapeshift is built. Unless shapeshift is made persistent you revert back to your base form when knocked out (or the power is otherwise turned off) so Drain/Suppress is not a viable method unless you also house rule that all shapeshifters have to buy inherent for some reason.

EDIT: Actually you can Drain/Suppress a Persistent power and it will turn off so they would still revert. So outside of completely houseruling how shapeshift functions it isn't actually a viable option at all.

Honestly, while I normally would ban the use of Shapeshift Usable as an Attack (because its transform, basically), this would be a time I would probably allow it.  Any other build would cost so much as to be well beyond its utility, and since its so limited and specific it wouldn't violate my sense of how to use the rules.

Christopher Taylor to me I really think supress is the way to go and depending on shape shift is defined then being locked in a form should be a either 0 or -1/4 lim.

That's simply not how Shape Shift works per RAW.  If you want to house rule it that way that's cool, but I just don't see it being the go-to answer for most people.