Why is the DCV of a hex 3?

zslane

I think what he's saying is that they misjudge how far they can leap. Usually when leaping from building to building, you are really leaping literally as far as you can (because you realistically aren't going to overshoot, and aiming for a specific hex is way out of most people's league). Thus people aren't missing against a DCV of 3 (or 0), they are failing their distance judging skills (not normally rolled) and attempting to make a 5 meter jump when they only have a jump of 4m.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably range modifiers are sufficient for hexes on the ground and 3 for hexes in the air (i.e. aiming at an area of nothing) for many games.  The problem is for superheroic, it makes area effect games a bit too attractive.

I think that we're all in agreement that the decision is based on how effective area-of-effect attacks are. Given that the game started as a superheroic combat simulator and not a reality emulator, that's probably appropriate. 

Let's just say that when you jump, you don't jump 5 feet to the side by accident.  You don't over shoot unless some other factor is involved (wind, falling downhill, etc), but you can come up short because you think you can jump further than you actually are able.  I suppose you could argue that's misjudging distance, but its always by "not far enough."  Which doesn't seem like a DCV problem but more of a range judgment issue.

I should note, however, that its really not common at all to hear of anyone falling off rooftops by leaping from roof to roof.  Mostly that's because outside the movies, few people actually run along rooftops and leap across alleys.  Also, when we aren't certain about a distance, we tend to estimate low to be on the safe side: maybe I can leap that far normally but if I'm not sure, I'll figure I can only leap less distance.

That said, cinematic and comic books worlds: happens all the time.  Hundreds of people up there leaping around like grasshoppers.  Guys dropping from the sky like rain, you have to dodge going through alleys.

Yeah, I see these things affecting the OCV of the attacker, not the DCV of the hex. A hex is an immobile, 70 cubic-meter volume and should have a fixed DCV of 0 (IMO). Any and all difficulties in targetting it should be reflected in situational OCV penalties, not an invariant DCV "bonus" (of 3) for the hex.

The Hex: Extra-Dimensional Movement objects of up to no more than 2m diameter to pocket dimension of 70 cubic meter pocket dimension. Each person transported by the hex curse takes up some of the remaining volume; once the Hex dimension is full the power becomes useless. [EDM; Single other dimension and location, UAO +1/4, Area of Effect 2 m +1/4, 70 Charges +3/4, charges never recover -2, Gestures “The Hex” -1/4, Incantations -1/4 - 45 active points, 13 real points]

I take solace in knowing that the DCV of all hexes are the same. This is worth exactly DCV 3 to me.

Why 3? Why not zero?

The elusiveness of reason is that people fight & die for reasons that are never in any danger.

DCV 0 strikes me as being something (a DCV constant) for nothing.