Primus Agent Stats

Basic204

I'm using Champions 6th ed

So I'm using the Primus in the Stander Champions setting 

I was trying to figure out stats for 

Golden Avengers

Sliver Avengers 

Stander Primus Agents

I was think normal primus agents with out any powers would be the level of special forces. So I guess like Shield from Marvel. 

I guess for non powered ones there would be three threat levels I guess if I was running primus.

Level 1 = Low Threat: They carry normal Primus gear like the plasma rifle, armor and so on

Level 2= High Treat: I imagine would have even better armor and more powerful weapons and things to hold very dangerous powers 

Level 3 = Omega Threat: I Think would have on Powered Armor Along with even more powerful weapons. 

Did you specifically want PRIMUS?

If you just wanted a SHIELD type organization, there's always UNTIL.

In fact, there was an UNTIL 5e book that had a bunch of stats and templates that could easily be repurposed for PRIMUS.

Edit: Just realized you also asked for Golden and Silver Avengers. The only stats I know of are for Silver Avenger Mayte Sanchez from Champions Universe (6e).

Well, the most detail about PRIMUS agents is provided in the PRIMUS PDF source book from the Hero Games website store: http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/371-primus-pdf/ . On the minus side, it's for Fourth Edition HERO System, published in 1998, and it's unclear how much of it would still be considered canon for the current official setting. Some elements of it have been carried forward into the few descriptions of PRIMUS which have been published for the present-day CU, while others have not. On the plus side, it has a great deal of info and game stats for all types of PRIMUS agents and equipment, is a very well-written, entertaining book, and an absolute steal for the price (114 pages for $4.98 US). And AFAIK there are no plans to publish further updated material about PRIMUS for the foreseeable future.

PRIMUS has never really got much love in recent editions, which is too bad because I always found them a tad more interesting (and more believable) than UNTIL. I'd recommend the 4ed PRIMUS pdf Lord Liaden mentioned above; canon or not, there's a lot of good material in there that can easily be adapted to 6ed. It portrays PRIMUS as a bit tougher than UNTIL on average, mainly due to the Cyberline program. PRIMUS is also a bit more militaristic than UNTIL seems to be, and of course they're a smaller, national organization rather than a huge globe-spanning agency.

Power levels: the 4ed source book portrays standard agents as Powerful Heroic, while cyberline-enhanced assault agents have increased characteristics that push them up to Very Powerful Heroic or even Low-Powered Superheroic. Silver Avengers are portrayed as Standard-to-High-Powered Superheroic, and the Golden Avenger is Very High Powered. Equipment is mostly comparable to UNTIL; just change the color scheme. Both agencies have power-armored agents; I always got the sense power armor was more common in PRIMUS than UNTIL, but that could just be me.

That said, personally, I always found that a little overpowered; if the cops are tough enough to take on supervillains, then who needs heroes? But it depends on how you want to use them in your game. If they're primarily opposed to the PCs, then they need to be tough enough to pose a credible threat. But if they're primarily going to be allies, you don't want them tough enough that the PCs get used to relying on them, let alone get overshadowed by them.

I think it all depends on what you think agents are for and how they should function in your campaign.  Do you want them to be hordes of mostly ineffectual guys that the heroes can mow through and feel really powerful?  Do you want them to be a significant challenge one on one to heroes like mini villains?  Personally I like them to be occasionally dangerous with a lucky shot and in numbers as bad as a supervillain so I tone them down to 100 points or lower than the heroes.

The Fifth/ Sixth Edition Champions book line pushed agents in the official setting, both heroic and villainous, as credible threats to superhumans when fielded in numbers, including using supertech weapons, team tactics, and elite training. This isn't really in genre for comic books, where agents are primarily mobs of mooks used to make the heroes and villains look tough.

For the past decade or more I've been using self-designed mass combat rules that consider groups of agents as single-ish meta-characters.  So a single agent, with his 5 OCV and 8d6 Blaster and 28 STUN may not be a match for a superhero.  But eight of those agents working as one have 8 OCV, do 11d6 damage, and have 58 STUN.  Each time the team loses 10 STUN, the OCV and damage drop by 1 (as single agents or pairs of agents in the group are downed by their foes) until (anywhere below 28 STUN) there's one lone agent about to get his hat handed to him. 

It makes combat flow much faster, but they become a credible (if short-lived) threat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bolo - that's much cleaner and more consistent than what I've done in the past. Basically I cludged something together based on the FH Mass Combat rules; it looked good on paper, but it never seems to play as smoothly as I'd hoped.

For large-scale battles, I do like the Battle Scale idea from FH, where a Turn may last 1 Minute and a hex might be 8m or whatever; gives things a more epic scale. If we used that with your rules, we could treat individual attacks as effectively Area of Effect or Autofire or something? Just don't try to be strict about how many Charges characters are using...

One other rule I've used that I do like is to make attacks from really large units Penetrating. That still lets powerful Heroes wade through a sea of mooks but doesn't allow them to ignore them altogether; even if the individual attacks can't get past the Hero's defenses, over time someone's still going to get in a lucky shot or overload your forcefield or whatever.

One other rule I've used that I do like is to make attacks from really large units Penetrating. That still lets powerful Heroes wade through a sea of mooks but doesn't allow them to ignore them altogether; even if the individual attacks can't get past the Hero's defenses, over time someone's still going to get in a lucky shot or overload your forcefield or whatever.

Interesting idea.  Maybe if the group (as one unit) rolls less than half what they need to hit, have the attack be Penetrating instead of adding extra DC?  Or just give the option of either extra DC or Penetrating regardless of the roll?  Either one might work.