Char Building - Precog MA

TrickstaPriest

Had a strange urge to make a character that I've spent far too much time thinking about lately!

A teen heroine with (what is essentially) advanced precognition.  She has a cocky personality when on the go, brooding and/or fragile when things are bad.  Her archetype is a martial artist.  She fights with Escrima sticks and wears a cape/cloak and dark (purple?) spandex, lurking in the darkness to beat up bad guys.

Of course she has the usual array of teenage angsts plus those that come with mysterious backstories and dark secrets.

(What?  Anyone with a talent in time needs - at the very least - a closet full of secrets... a wit for mysterious one-liners... and of course a snappy tailor).

Whilst I dig around for pictures and work on installing Windows 10...  It is time for ideas!

I am contemplating ideas for good Precog effects that dig up knowledge.  Clairvoyance ("what would I see if I went in that house?"), Rapid Sight ("what would I learn if I read that book?").  Telepathy makes me raise an eyebrow, but mostly because I loathe Hero mental powers >_>

What kind of precognitive effects would you come up with?  I see danger sense, precog, skill levels as a general 'all-around advantages'...

(digs through Hero Designer files) I know I have a ninja with latent powers of temporal visualization somewhere... ah.  Here were some powers/talents I used for a martial artist who could subconsciously see 1-2 seconds into the future.

- Danger sense, definitely.

- Foresight competence, bought as overall levels requiring a full phase or more and possibly endurance

- Artful dodging, bought as desoliification only to avoid attacks that cannot normally be dodged and requiring an Acrobatics roll -- see sees where the attacks are going to land 1-2 seconds into the future.  If that's a little *too* exotic, then extra DCV based on an Acrobatics roll.

- Extra levels on interaction skills, which represent the ability to see into the future enough to know what she needs to say.  Not so useful in combat, but very useful when infiltrating.

- Combat luck would be a good one, as well.

Hope this helps.

You hit the major ones already.  The Precog special effect shares a lot in common with Superspeed and Luck as well so Talents like Combat Luck and Luck are options.

Here are some options from my rookie version of The Flash that could modified for a pure Precog sfx:

6) Faster than a speeding bullet! v3:  +5 Overall Skill Levels (GM permission is required to be included in a Framework) (60 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) Real Cost: 40

Notes: +4 Overall Levels without the Costs END Limitation. The special effect of these Levels is Super Speed and they can be used towards ANYTHING that requires a roll. Examples: All Combat CSL's, Dive For Cover (a DEX roll), Enhanced Perception and to complete tasks faster. From 6e1 page 59, If a character has to perform a task in less time than it normally takes, he suffers a -3 penalty for each level up the Time Chart. Example: a task that would normally take 5 minutes to complete could be done in 1 Turn @ -6 to the roll.

11) Superspeed Mind:  Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Rapid: x10, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Blackout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) Real Cost: 16

And here are some options from my rookie version of the poster boy for Danger Sense, Spider-Man:

3) Spider Reflexes part 1: +3 DCV (15 Active Points); Requires A Roll (PER roll; Must be made each Phase/use; Spidey Sense (Danger Sense); -1)
Notes: Requires A Roll by default takes a -1 penalty to whatever roll is used for every 10 Active Points of the Power it is applied to (6e1 page 391). A -1 penalty or a final 14- Roll in this instance. 
4) Spider Reflexes part 2: Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)
Notes: From 6e1 page 447: Hardened (+1/4), Impenetrable (+1/4) (40 Active Points); Luck Based (encompasses all the restrictions described in the text; -3/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) 
5) Spidey Reflexes part 3: Roll With A Punch (Custom Adder)
Notes: Optional Free Maneuver From Champions Complete page 154. (½ Phase; -2 OCV; -2 DCV) Allows a character to take less damage from a HTH attack. This Maneuver is unique because a character may perform it after the opponent’s Attack Roll succeeds (but before he rolls damage). The Rolling character attempts an Attack Roll against the attacker’s OCV (like Block). If successful, he takes only half the STUN and BODY that the attack would have normally done (after defenses). However, the attacker rolls one less die for Knockback. A character can only Roll With A Punch to reduce the effects of a single attack. 
6) Spidey Sense!: Danger Sense (self only, any danger, Function as a Sense) (31 Active Points); Conditional Power Suppressed by Bug Spray (-1/4) 16-

:)

HM

Are You Accident Prone?: Blast, Variable Special Effects, Invisible Power Effect, Variable Advantage, Indirect (you know when things start to go haywire, and can use it to your advantage).

Basically I plan to have it for my precog villain The Shadow Boss, with a similar Killing Attack, to simulate seeing an effect via precog, and manipulate people so what happens does happen.

Combat Precognition

I Saw That Coming - Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort Cost:4

I Saw This Coming - Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort Cost:4

I Saw THAT Coming too - Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove Cost:5

Bet You Didn't See THIS Coming - Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, +4Damage Class Strike Cost:5

Lucius Alexander

Everybody saw the palindromedary coming

Yeah extreme defenses and danger sense obviously.  The ability to give other people defenses as well: "duck!" or pushing them out of the way.  High OCV to avoid blocks and such.  Not necessarily high damage, but focus on being the one that always hits and almost never gets hit.  Lots of levels with stuff like dive for cover or roll with the punch, even.

I foresee a lot of defenses.  >_>

I have mixed feelings about telepathy "what would this person say if I asked them this question?"... I'll probably just junk some of the precog ideas that are too complicated, but the basic character is pretty simple.  Skill Levels, martial arts, maybe some defenses that can be triggered/shared?

:)

Still, I am toying around with more ways to build precognition that 'learns' stuff.  Clairvoyance "if I walked down this hallway?", other miscellaneous stuff like that...

At the very least, powers like that would be interesting things to 'stretch out'.  And more to the point, I view this character as using much more powerful talents outside of combat than out.  She feels like a character that develops more around social and internal struggles than in battles (unless those involve crossing internal barriers as well...).

This is what I used on my own Combat Precognition character:

1. Bonus to OCV & DCV with a precog SFX
  2. Danger Sense
  3. Overall Levels to Skill use that would be resolved in a relative short span

•  

Useful for being able to notice stuff, because you had the whole time interval in the future to look for it

• Anticipating conversation paths

• Being able to correct mistakes made before they happen

You could try:

1. Remote Viewing with Clairsentience: Looking around in the area limited to how far you could have moved in that time frame
  2. Desolid: To avoid attacks you could sense were coming up.
  3. Triggered Movement could represent a way to dive for cover w/o actually going prone

• 10 months later...