PRIMUS or UNTIL. Who has jurisdiction?

Dino

You could always have some budget crisis get rid of PRIMUS.  Problem solved (?)

This was what I had happen to it due to the budget sequestration fights of 2011 in the TASK FORCE universe -- which sort of backfired when UNTIL chose the man who had been leading PRIMUS as its new leader following the Leap Day working.

(which of course now inverts the original question -- how are other nations going to feel about UNTIL if an American is in charge?)

(which of course now inverts the original question -- how are other nations going to feel about UNTIL if an American is in charge?)

There would probably be some discomfort over it in a few sectors, but there are many Americans in UNTIL, up to the highest levels. If an American candidate for Secretary-Marshal of UNTIL had come up through the organization and shown him/herself to be a good internationalist, I wouldn't expect nationality to weigh much.

Question for our American colleagues: Does the idea that an international agency could have jurisdiction over any American affairs, even in a fictional world, bother any of you on principle, or maybe just instinctively?[/quote

The short answer yes! Also one world government is sign of endtimes.

SAT, in my non-campaign, is a secret black opps group akin to G.I. Joe, but not so black and white good. Publicly they do not exist. Not even Fox News truly knows about them. They are a rather small group (exact number of agents is classified, but esstimated to be under 500 members, both combat and administration), but they sipliment there members with advance robot 'drones'.

SAT was originally founded by Nazi super-villains:

- Hitlerjunge Quex (Hitleryouth Quex - after a popular Nazi-movie of the same title, a Speedster)

- Der Siberne Schädel ( The Silver Skull - a Mystic Mastermind Mentalist)

- Die Vergeltung (The Vengeance - female femme fatale Martial Artist)

- Widukind (the name of a famous Saxon king who fought and lost against Chalemagne - a magical weapon Brick with a Saxon theme) and

- Endsieg ( Final Victory - aflying Brick with eyebeams).

They escaped with the help of the Vatican to Argentina and Chile and then infiltrated the USA's super law-enforcement and para-military by getting new identities. It shows in the acronym SAT which really stands for "Super-Adolfs Traummannschaft" (= Super-Adolf's Dream Team), a tongue-in-swastika name so to heil ... :winkgrin:

It was Quex' idea which was supported by Vergeltung and installed on command of Der Silberne Schädel to the dismay of Widukind and the enragement of Endsieg - but, hey: So it goes if you have a villain team organized after the Führerprinzip, the Rule of the Leader!

The goal: To clone Adolf Hitler into some kind of Über-Adolf to rule Amerika, then the rest of the world!

VIPER is still quite angry that they did not make Schädel an offer to join in 1946 ...

My world:

UNTIL was invited into the US during Mechanon's first, nearly successful, attack. (Circa 1979-80). Its equipment and experience in fighting supervillains (including Dr Destroyer) proved invaluable in the fight against the robot hordes.

It was permitted to continue operating in the US on an interim basis in the aftermath until SAT was able to take over its duties, at which point it was reduced to a token presence.

SAT was subsequently mostly replaced by PRIMUS.

VIPER tends to keep getting smashed up and reformed. RAVEN is a serious rival to it, as are localised groups like Terror, Inc.

The U.S. Government would maintain it's own organization regardless of what the world does.  In fact more then one organization would exist each with it's own mission.

When an International Organization is formed there would be a lot of fan fair, but due to the reality of international relations it's likely to become corrupt and will probably be taken over by a villain organization.

I know it's a stretch  .  .  .  (Obscure Hydra Reference!)

The U.S. Government would maintain it's own organization regardless of what the world does.  In fact more then one organization would exist each with it's own mission.

When an International Organization is formed there would be a lot of fan fair, but due to the reality of international relations it's likely to become corrupt and will probably be taken over by a villain organization.

I know it's a stretch  .  .  .  (Obscure Hydra Reference!)

Of course there would be multiple US organizations.

The inevitably corrupt international organization is an interesting un-examined assumption. Why would it be more likely "to become corrupt and (...) probably (...) taken over by a villain organization" than a national based organisation?

Of course, I think the UNIT model of internationally coordinated national sections would actually be more plausible than a centralised outfit.

In any case, the circumstances that would give rise to an UNTIL style outfit are radically different to those in our world.

Of course there would be multiple US organizations.

The inevitably corrupt international organization is an interesting un-examined assumption. Why would it be more likely "to become corrupt and (...) probably (...) taken over by a villain organization" than a national based organisation?

Of course, I think the UNIT model of internationally coordinated national sections would actually be more plausible than a centralised outfit.

In any case, the circumstances that would give rise to an UNTIL style outfit are radically different to those in our world.

UNIT wasn't as corrupt at the UN or UNLESS for that matter because when you get down to it UNIT is pretty much a British run operation.  This is not to say it's entirely competent, and while well trained it's under-equiped (much like the British Army).

Any international organization would eventually become corrupt because most world governments are corrupt.