A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

On another board, I had to weigh in on the email vs. e-mail spelling. I actually couldn't tell you when I switched it in spelling, but I was probably dropping the hyphen long ago. And then I read something by Donald Knuth

A note on email versus e-mail

Newly coined nonce words of English are often spelled with a hyphen, but the hyphen disappears when the words become widely used. For example, people used to write ``non-zero'' and ``soft-ware'' instead of ``nonzero'' and ``software''; the same trend has occurred for hundreds of other words. Thus it's high time for everybody to stop using the archaic spelling ``e-mail''. Think of how many keystrokes you will save in your lifetime if you stop now! The form ``email'' has been well established in England for several years, so I am amazed to see Americans being overly conservative in this regard. (Of course, ``email'' has been a familiar word in France, Germany, and the Netherlands much longer than in England --- but for an entirely different reason.)

Donald Knuth on email

Guest Skaramine

Well, my ban on foreign handguns for lent died screaming this weekend as I decided, there's nothing better than the Heckler and Koch USP series.

However, the Heckler and Koch, while German, is as vital a part of our nation's national defense from the Mk 23 SOCOM used by the armed forces to the USP .40 used to protect our southern borders by the United States Border Patrol. As well, Heckler and Koch recently won a huge contract with the Customs Service to supply USP Compacts to arm our nation's lawmen fighting against contraband.

Too, the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense (Hellboy) used it as their standard sidearm in the movie. So, it's an immigrant, like my Polish, Scottish and Italian ancestors.

Helped the girlfriend move this weekend. Three long days of lifting, sweating, stressing, cursing. I've busted my buttocks and technically haven't received a word of thanks, or even a serious acknowledgement of effort. I've had to contend with her weariness, instead.

Her cat ran away on Saturday while six guys moved furniture out of the house. In spite of asking "Think we ought to lock the cats in the bathroom?" first thing in the morning (to which she replied, "No, they'll be fine"), it's somehow my fault. Or at least she's making me feel like it is.

Three+ years we've been together and I'm seriously considering just walking away.

I've found a job in the area that looks good on USA Jobs. But one of the things that is boggling my mind is this:

You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-6 level.

How do I find out if I have GS-6 Level experience? How do I figure out what the GS levels mean?

Almost two hours later I have 20 demo cds for the band, all with pretty cover booklets (4 pages including front, middle and back), rear inserts (and there's just no way to say that without giggling), and pretty labels on the cds.

I gots ink all over me fingers, screwed-up labels all over the floor, perforated edgings all over the desk, and a big grin all over my face.

Now we just need some good gigs...