The Academics Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Actually, I'd classify myself as a resistor more than a conductor.

48 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Variable or fixed?

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It depends.

Ah!  You're a diode!

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

Two classes.
Seven credit hours.
100+ hours of instructional time.
Five field excursions.
One evening at the telescope.
All in four weeks.

May Heaven have mercy on my soul.

That is what a second Masters in theology is for! 

12 hours ago, Cancer said:

Meh, the free version will probably be a cheesy download PDF with all the interesting bits shown at degraded resolution, and a teaser on the end for the "full version" for sale for €499.

Wait, you lost me. There are interesting bits in the World Cup?  :jawdrop:

There seems to be more controversy about it than I had guessed, but I cannot help shaking the impression that the evidence for some kind of extended-in-time episode of large objects falling on Earth and Moon (and probably Mars) cannot be made to go away.  There's an article in last year's Annual Reviews of Earth & Planetary Science that I got (in dead-tree form) that is part of my prep for my astrobiology course that I read.  The LHB is a prime motivator for the new (2005 and later) models for early Solar System evolution, where the giant planets were originally formed in places other than where they are now, and the orbital changes of the giant planets cleaned out the unaccreted planetesimals from the outer Solar System over the course of several hundred million years, and some of those cleaned-out objects struck the terrestrial planets.

There's nothing on the surface of Venus older than about 0.8 Gyr, so Venus tells us nothing about this.  A full-Mercury map is so new that I don't know what that has told us.