The Academics Thread

Pariah

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

Fissure 8 has stabilized to the point where they're trying to figure out exactly where to put the viewing platform.

Good luck Pariah, bring that exam down with a clean headshot.

It wasn't quite a clean headshot, but it was a solid kill.

One down, one to go.

A salt flat that stretches on for a hundred kilometers in every direction? Shoot, I know where to find one of those right here on Earth. I live next door to it.

As far as the bright red substrate that comes with it...well, I don't know of a specific terrestrial example, but I'd say that with the right depositional environment, it's feasible.

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

So are you going to anoint yourself Lord of Plagioclase Feldspar and Millisecond Pulsars?

I'll put it on my C.V.

Edit: Maybe those should be two of my subdomains when I finally join the Superdraft in the next day or two....

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

I was thinking more along the lines of metal hydrogen from Saturn.

maybe it was Jupiter. 

As a chemist, liquid metallic hydrogen is one of the strangest and most interesting things I've ever heard of.

(And it's Jupiter. I don't think Saturn is dense enough for LMH. Cancer?)

Last I heard, Saturn was supposed to reach metallic hydrogen conditions in its deep interior, but in a smaller proportion of its volume.

My understanding is that it has been produced in the laboratory here, in diamond anvil cells.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

A salt flat that stretches on for a hundred kilometers in every direction? Shoot, I know where to find one of those right here on Earth. I live next door to it.

As far as the bright red substrate that comes with it...well, I don't know of a specific terrestrial example, but I'd say that with the right depositional environment, it's feasible.

Well, yes I know of the one you probably speak too.  

Interesting little exercise for proving the Earth moves around the Sun, and estimating the size of the AU.  Probably upper-division undergrad level (as well as requiring some stuff most folks don't have for the data acquisition and measurement), though, and clearly not a one-semester project.

Link

I listened to a lecture about the Michelson-Morley experiment recently that mentioned this. Pretty interesting stuff.

(Actually, it was two lectures, and the Michelson-Morley experiment was only the topic of the second. The two lectures were both concerned with experiments to determine whether the Earth moved with respect to the ether or not.)

14 hours ago, Cancer said:

Interesting little exercise for proving the Earth moves around the Sun, and estimating the size of the AU.  Probably upper-division undergrad level (as well as requiring some stuff most folks don't have for the data acquisition and measurement), though, and clearly not a one-semester project.

Link

I just remember in high school, in earth science class, when we had a section on astronomy, putting the solar system down on the hallway.  The sun was a circle on a piece of tape, while Pluto (still a planet damn it) was about 300 ft+ down the hallway and a barely perceptible dot on a piece of tape.  KInd of messes with your mind the vastness of space.  (at least me)

Note: Pluto was about 10 ft from the boy's bathroom, which might be a perfect metaphor for how the science community thinks of Pluto.  :angel: