The Academics Thread

Pariah

The math and science departments in my school are both on the third floor (away from the normal people) so there is a certain level of camaraderie there. However, I have never taken the time to immerse myself myself in the nuances of the current math curriculum, which is pretty heavy on Common Core ideas.

I know just enough from hearing the other teachers talk about it to appreciate the intent: that students can reason through a problem and understand the process rather than simply to skip directly to the right answer. In a way, I think this is probably a good thing. The mechanics of math, in my mind, have been rendered almost entirely obsolete by ubiquitous electronic devices. Remember back in the day when our math teachers used to tell us, "You won't always have a calculator with you?" Clearly, with the advent of smartphones, this is no longer true. So I think it's probably good that math teachers are trying to teach process rather than just outcome.

Of course, if the process gets in the way of the correct outcome, then it's crap.

It's also worth noting that, independent of the actual merits or limitations of the Common Core, there are certain portions of society (read: the Alt-right) who have latched on to the idea of the Common Core as an Obama-era tactic to bring the United States into the New World Order and take control of Education away from the States. They have marketed this particular bit of paranoia to their followers with alarming success.

All I know is that when a problem can have the correct solution written down with the justification "by inspection" and no credit is given, it is entirely right and proper to reach for the Zyklon B.

I do not have to justify my valid reasoning to dimmer minds when I am not being paid to do so.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Had I not already been a CS major, I'd have taken a Math minor or major along with the Physics one, because Physics already required Calc IV, linear algebra, differential equations (ordinary and partial), and some really Lovecraftian stuff.  

Minored in Summoning Yog Soggoth.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

The math and science departments in my school are both on the third floor (away from the normal people) so there is a certain level of camaraderie there. However, I have never taken the time to immerse myself myself in the nuances of the current math curriculum, which is pretty heavy on Common Core ideas.

I know just enough from hearing the other teachers talk about it to appreciate the intent: that students can reason through a problem and understand the process rather than simply to skip directly to the right answer. In a way, I think this is probably a good thing. The mechanics of math, in my mind, have been rendered almost entirely obsolete by ubiquitous electronic devices. Remember back in the day when our math teachers used to tell us, "You won't always have a calculator with you?" Clearly, with the advent of smartphones, this is no longer true. So I think it's probably good that math teachers are trying to teach process rather than just outcome.

Of course, if the process gets in the way of the correct outcome, then it's crap.

"Why did they change math?" ~ Mr Incredible. 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

It's also worth noting that, independent of the actual merits or limitations of the Common Core, there are certain portions of society (read: the Alt-right) who have latched on to the idea of the Common Core as an Obama-era tactic to bring the United States into the New World Order and take control of Education away from the States. They have marketed this particular bit of paranoia to their followers with alarming success.

That conspiracy hypothesis likely began decades before Obama. 

It's official: Two classes, Seven credit hours, 4.0 on the summer semester.

Feels great to have made it through in such a fashion. Hot diggity!

(Added bonus: These credits have pushed me over the top for a lane change [BS+20]. That means I get a raise next year. woot!! )

Depends on how stringently his employers followed safety regulations.  A sad fact in our litigious society is that commercial concerns can be really careful about compliance with those.  The impoverished state of academic laboratories means they can only do makeshifts and half-assed gestures at real safety, so in fact your chances could well be better there despite the lesser number of hours exposed in an academic setting.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Depends on how stringently his employers followed safety regulations.  A sad fact in our litigious society is that commercial concerns can be really careful about compliance with those.  The impoverished state of academic laboratories means they can only do makeshifts and half-assed gestures at real safety, so in fact your chances could well be better there despite the lesser number of hours exposed in an academic setting.

It's like they don't even want radioactive spiders!  ?