The Academics Thread

Pariah

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

One student had to take the final early because she's going to be out of town all next week.

She scored 4/25.

On a multiple choice exam.

We used to have a ten question quiz every Friday in my high school Accounting classes. One day, we walked in and sat down, and I noticed a bunch of things written on the board. The teacher read off the first question, and I wrote down my answer, then found it on the board. Second one, same thing. By the time we reached the fifth question, I would find the answer on the board, then write it down. When we reached the end, the teacher announced to the class that everyone should have a perfect score, and then he looked at me, and asked me to tell them why.

"Because all of the answers are written on the board," I said. The lesson, he said, was to identify resources that might be helpful in performing our work.

Only one other student had a perfect score. 

I had a friend my freshman year in college who had aspirations of being an English teacher. For graduation, his parents had given him a fountain pen and a supply of red ink. On the side of the pen was engraved the word "Scalpel". 

I typically use green to grade papers, myself. Not because it's life-affirming or less hostile or anything like that. I just prefer green to red.

... And, the instructions were also arduous and dull to read through, ...

<Old Testament prophet tolerance>

As ye judge, so shall ye be judged....

</Old Testament prophet tolerance>

Pssst,  Hey, kid.  Who'd ya think wrote those?

59 minutes ago, Cancer said:

<Old Testament prophet tolerance>

As ye judge, so shall ye be judged....

</Old Testament prophet tolerance>

Pssst,  Hey, kid.  Who'd ya think wrote those?

Part 2 #2. Avoid insulting your professor until AFTER grades are in.

My District's schedule is ... abnormal this year. Every year that I've been here, Q3 ends about this time, at which point we go on spring break. Spring break has varied from a full week to Th-F-S-S-M in different years, but it's always been immediately after Q3 ends.

This year, Q3 ends Friday and Q4 begins next Monday (March 28-April 1). And then spring break is the full week after that (April 4-8).

I fully anticipate spending the week of April 11-15 reteaching all the stuff covered March 28-April 1 because

A) A bunch of local families will see this schedule as an opportunity to start spring break early, perhaps as early as next Monday the 28th, and

2) High school students tend to have powers of retention comparable to those of echinoderms, particularly once temperatures begin to rise.

Imagine my joy.

The good news that that my kids and I have the same spring break this year, which pretty much never happens. Naturally, the new term for Lady P begins that same week. 

brac-a-bric, chat-chit, clop-clip, dong-ding, flamflim, flop-flip, hop-hip, jabber-jibber, catty-kit, knack-knick, mashmish, pong-ping, patter-pitter, 

raffriff, song-sing, slopslip, splash-splish, tock-tick, tacky-ticky, top-tip, whaff-whiff, wobble-wibble, washy-wishy, zag-zig, toe-tac-tic, boom-bang-bing, bosh-bash-bish, and splosh-splash-splish.