The Academics Thread

Pariah

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posing a question to my Honors Chemistry class the first week of school this year:

What mass of dry ice is necessary to displace the atmosphere from this room and fill it completely with carbon dioxide?

To answer this question, they'll need to do a lot of measurements and calculations (especially conversions!). And I may have them determine experimentally how much CO2 5 g of dry ice will produce when it sublimates.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm posing a question to my Honors Chemistry class the first week of school this year:

What mass of dry ice is necessary to displace the atmosphere from this room and fill it completely with carbon dioxide?

To answer this question, they'll need to do a lot of measurements and calculations (especially conversions!). And I may have them determine experimentally how much CO2 5 g of dry ice will produce when it sublimates.

Just don't experiment in class.  Chemistry students have too few brain cells as is

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

Next time I teach that class, I'll do another version of that, involving liquid nitrogen istead of dry ice, since a good-size spill of LN2 is easy to imagine in a lot of labs.

At the university, of course, there's LN2 in ... well, perhaps most labs, so doing that calculation would be directly applicable to lab safety.  Nothing wrong with assignments that address two important topics simultaneously.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

No, you need to go full Bond villain: "There is a mass of solid CO2 by the whiteboard that is 1/600 the volume of this room.  It began sublimating at the beginning of this exam.  Do I expect you to talk, or do I expect you to die?"

Also, to answer your second question, 5g of dry ice will produce 5g of CO2 when sublimated.  :king: