The Academics Thread

Pariah

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Also, to answer your second question, 5g of dry ice will produce 5g of CO2 when sublimated.  :king:

Pariah => :slap: <= Old Man

Actually, that would at least demonstrate that the students understood the idea behind conservation of mass....

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

Next time I teach that class, I'll do another version of that, involving liquid nitrogen istead of dry ice, since a good-size spill of LN2 is easy to imagine in a lot of labs.

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

At the university, of course, there's LN2 in ... well, perhaps most labs, so doing that calculation would be directly applicable to lab safety.  Nothing wrong with assignments that address two important topics simultaneously.

You know, the more I think about that, the more I like it. Forget dry ice. I'm officially all in on liquid nitrogen now!

:thumbup:

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

Got home from a week-long family vacation this morning at 6:30 a m.

Taking the physics Praxis exam tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

I would wish you luck however my GM has a way to mess around with the interpretations of any wishes I make -- hense they backfire. 

Well, I took the Praxis this morning. It became obvious pretty quickly that I hadn't reviewed E&M thoroughly enough, and I may be one of the few examinees to score higher on quantum mechanics than on Newtonian mechanics. Overall, however, my raw score was 168 out of 200. If my adjusted score is in that neighborhood, that puts me at the top end of the average score range. In any case, it should be good enough to pass. And that's all I really need.

Considering that we spent all night Tuesday driving and that I went to bed yesterday at about 7:30 a.m., I feel okay with how things turned out.

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

So, what is harder to understand quantum mechanics or legal documents (which I rarely get more than 2 paragraphs in without feeling my brain trying to pretzel itself)

Legal documents, without question. QM is based in mathematics. It may not be mathematics that any given person can understand, but the logical foundation is there.

Legal documents? I'm not convinced the same holds true.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

So, what is harder to understand quantum mechanics or legal documents (which I rarely get more than 2 paragraphs in without feeling my brain trying to pretzel itself)

1.  Taxes

2.  Health Insurance

3.  Legal Documents

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Legal documents are always written to be as incomprehensible as possible to the person who didn't write them, with the side intent to get a more favorable meaning (for the writer) when a good opportunity presents.

Quantum has rules that aren't what you're used to, but the rules (1) aren't subject to change and (2) weren't constructed to enable the other guy to screw you over in a new way at his convenience.