The Academics Thread

Pariah

There's a story of one of the old Greek masters, maybe Plato, who had someone come to him speaking to learn wisdom. The master's solution was to take him out to the river and hold him under. When he finally let the poor sap up, he is alleged to have said something like, "When you desire wisdom as much as you now desire air, come and see me."

What I don't know is if it really is epistemology, or if it a little below that level and is just about instructional methods in physics.  I think it better than even odds that it's the latter.  It was cited by the speaker today as he gave a talk about his thesis work in physics education.

My school has been doing a hybrid in-person/distance learning model for classes this year. For example, my current (e.g., 2nd period) class has 27 students, of whom 12 are distance learners. It's been kind of a pain in the neck. I've adjusted largely by going to a flipped classroom model. I record the lectures and post them online along with readings and assignments, and we spend most of the class time answering questions and working on assignments. Distance learners can contact me for assistance as needed.

My school has announced that the hybrid model will not be maintained next year, but that online-only sections of courses will be offered for those who want them. They've asked for volunteers to teach such sections.

I signed up. I'm doing it anyway, so why not?

Screaming resumed here.  First day of next quarter is Monday. 

For comparison, I had about a month between the end of fall quarter and start of winter.  Between winter and spring, about a week.  And spring has the class I've taught before, but not in six years. 

Yarf.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:40 PM, Starlord said:

A fellow teacher friend of my wife posted a picture of what her kindergarten students want to be when they grow up:

20210324_193220.jpg

At that age, I had a garbage can lid that I could use as a shield but nothing that could simulate web-shooters.

And I also got stuck for a long time at the top of a very tall tree, which lessened my enthusiasm for actually being Spider-Man.

So I assigned group work last term and did an after-action survey in which I asked people (among other things) to rat out who contributed nothing to the group.  I have a list of miscreants.

I'm giving group work again this term.  Shall I put all the slackers into their own groups?

I am sorely tempted, because I am also doing this trick in the first team assignment as well.