The Academics Thread

Pariah

Geez, Biden administration is resuming standardized testing this spring as if this has been a normal school year.

During the campaign he told educators that he’d end the use of standardized tests in public schools and suggested it would be a “big mistake” to attach teacher evaluations to student test scores (as they have been in many places).

I'd expect teacher unions and school administrations to both be highly ticked off.

The mind boggles at how this would even work considering many students are still in remote learning.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/02/biden-standardized-tests-teachers-unions-472831

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

58 minutes ago, archer said:

It's horror stories like this which give fuel to the "privatize the schools" movement which seems to have the goal of proving that they can fail every bit as badly as a public school.

A quick look at the school's website and a couple of other places makes me think it's a public charter school...pretty much the worst of both worlds.

Being at a private school, I can (and occasionally do) say things which are political or have political tilt to them.  I would never test on those.  My puns, perhaps; I have had exam questions bearing on a comment I make every time I talk about planetary evolution: "Tidal locking represents the final absolution of original spin."

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

In my chemistry class is especially, I have been known to give one-point extra credit questions based on puns I tell throughout the year in class.

My wife says I missed my calling and should have been a college history professor. 

But I throw off so many puns that no one could keep track of them all, much less remember specific ones for exams.

And I'd be deathly scared of anyone who could.

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

In my chemistry class is especially, I have been known to give one-point extra credit questions based on puns I tell throughout the year in class.

Chemistry is the only science which you can never get to the truth, it is all about spin. 

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Never study rotational dynamics, have you?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Or even simple astronomy.

Gee...try to make a pun and the scientists go all 'science', yet dismiss the obvious epistemological issue. ;) 😛 

"Spin" as a quantum-mechanical phenomenon is deeply involved in trying to understand the smallest scales we've been able to probe.  It's something that defies "common sense" for most folks; it's worse than calculus, imaginary numbers, etc., in that regard.  The idea that subatomic particles (even those which are, as far as we have been able to measure, truly pointlike, i.e., lacking in internal structure and are of zero spatial extent) carry angular momentum as a fundamental property like mass or electric charge seems nonsensical.  But the measurements reliably and repeatably find it, and it is an essential component in how we work with physical phenomena on the subatomic scale.  Philosophers tend to hate subatomic physics because they don't understand it, and expound blanket condemnations of quantum mechanics (and those who work with it routinely) because to them the key principles of the theory don't make sense, even though those principles and the mathematics for working with them are insanely successful in predicting the observed phenomena.