Beginning

jbdecicio

Not sure if there are any videos, but there are some help on this web site

For me the process is this

Determine Power level of game, this is points and in world considerations (how strong is strong in this campaign). a lot of this will be a discussion with who is running the game. 

Now that I have some guidelines, I go to the next step, what is the idea for the character (in a super hero game I am doing a batman like character)

So I start figuring out what the concept means (Skill heavy, peak human, gadgets that do X Y Z)

Then I look at the focus of the character (So Fox-Man is skill based first, I make a list of skills, then attributes, etc...)

Balance and edit, have people revview it (including the GM), then play...

My instincts are to do my usual design process

1) identify the core concept of the character

2) identify the signature powers

3) think hard about HOW those powers work in game (and when they do not)

4) open the rulebooks and start thinking about what mechanics are needed to achieve those effects

5) buy everything vanilla and full cost to get an idea of where more complicated thought might be needed

6) round out my concept of the character where that is not tied to the core idea

7) buy the powers and skills needed to realise that fleshed out concept

8) gasp at how many points I have spent and begin trimming fat and redundancy, introducing limitations and frameworks.

Doc

On 7/28/2018 at 3:42 PM, jbdecicio said:

Hey guys, I'm a beginning player to this system but not rpgs in general. Are there any videos that accurately help with understanding or character building even? What resources do you suggest/who should I watch/read?

Which edition are you interested in playing? If you're talking about learning the game, that's a really important distinction here, as some people are devoted to 5e, while others play 6e (for a variety of reasons on either side of the debate). Also, what kind of genre are you interested in? That will also affect the way the rules are learned.

Sorry to go super-basic here, but it seems like a good place to start.

Good grief.  I have been putting together a script for a video on how to build a character.  It is amazing how much I do from instinct and how difficult that is to describe...

I decided to do a fairly basic character type but getting to a character from a blank piece of paper involves a LOT of moving parts.  I also realise I have done almost no character designing in 6th Edition.  The pathways laid down in my brain over decades take over and then I realise I am not sure if I am rules compliant.

I think I have a script, just need to put some slides together and then create a video that I can put up on YouTube.  I was thinking I would do a brick, an energy blaster, a martial artist and maybe something else.  I am wondering whether it might not be more informative to go through the stock characters in the rule book as a GM might assess a character submitted to a game to highlight the key points and how things work together.  You might get more insight from the critique of a finished character than watching one being put together.

it might also be useful to do a conversation.  Perhaps me helping someone who does not know the system put a character together.

all I need to do is find the time for all this stuff...

I would do the four or five basic types of heroes 90% of the players may want to create.  The choose an existing comic book figure to mimic from since most starting players will mimic an existing super figure.  For example, using the Flash for a speedster or the Human Torch for an energy projector.  Then suggest how to diverge from the stereotype to make the hero your own.  Maybe the speedster flies instead of runs.  Maybe the energy projector uses air instead of fire.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:03 PM, jbdecicio said:

6e and super heroes. More along the lines of my hero academia rather than like superman 

You may want to look at Champions Complete for a more concise version of the 6e rules. If you have Champions 6e, Chapter 5 has a "Superhero Gallery" which gives a list of quickstart character types that would help you build an assortment of characters in a very short time.

Also, High Rock Press cleared its Kickstarter for Character Creation Cards, which should be coming out in the near future. They'll help create characters in minutes.

If at all possible, I would suggest playing a session or two with a pre-built character in the same genre that you'll be building your character for. You'll have a much better feel for what the bits on your character sheet MEAN after seeing them work in actual play.

Also, if you're playing supers, you simply MUST understand Hero's separation of game mechanics from what it calls "special effects".

• 2 weeks later...