Hi tech Plots

Mr. R

7 hours ago, DShomshak said:

As a further complication, once the heroes find the villain’s base a techno-hero can see that they must defeat the villain without ever striking the Gravitron. The core of the machine is a neutronium torus spinning at near the speed of light, with the mass of a mountain. If the machine is disturbed, the neutronium core either decompresses and explodes, destroying everything in hundreds of kilometers, or it collapses into a black hole that sinks into the Earth’s core and starts eating. Important safety tip, yes?

Be slightly careful with this one because you might have a player in the group who decides the whole "it'll destroy the earth" thing is just a bluff either by the villain or by the GM...then you'll have to deal with a player who seems determined to destroy the world unless the GM finds a way to stop him.

• 3 weeks later...

Note:  In my campaign world, the members of Deathstroke remain alive, and are based on the versions of the team in 4E's Champions Universe.  They've even added a member:  Draconic, a good-ol-Southern-boy handyman who discovered a long-forgotten lab once owned by Dr. Draconis and who uses an early battlesuit left behind by the evil doctor.  The team has since used some of Dr. Draconis' old plans and devices to further their ill-fated attempts as world conquest.

The members of Deathstroke were sitting around their newest base, the ubiquitous formerly-deserted warehouse, divvying up the haul from their latest "big score."  A stolen widescreen TV was playing in the background, showing Chiller's favorite movie, The Day After Tomorrow; it had just come to the part where the massive hyper-cold hurricane was flash-freezing New York City and the rest of the eastern seaboard.

"Now that's what I'm talking about!" crowed Chiller as the characters on the screen scrambled to safety.  "Run away, boys, you don't want to catch cold!"

Shockwave snorted at his teammate's wordplay.  "It's too bad you can't ramp up your blizzard and generate that much cold, Chiller," he said.  "We could hold the whole city hostage."

"Ah don't see why y'all can't do that," said Draconic.  "Just use Doc Drac's meta-enhancer pack.  Should crank ol' Chiller's power up to eleven.  Bet he could turn the city into a deep freeze quicker'n a jackrabbit crossin' the highway."

Everybody else turned to stare at their junior member.  "Meta-enhancer pack?" asked Requiem.  "What the heck is that?"

"Didn't y'all know 'bout that?" Draconic asked.  "Big o'l backpack, micro-nuke plant on the butt end?  Lots o' flashy lights and dials?  Ah found it in a closet in Drac's lab.  His notes say it works like a gee-tar amp, boost the whozits along the mutational event horizon and what was it, oh, yeah, 'amplify mutagenic transitive output tenfold'."  He took a long hit of his Budweiser and then chowed down on some chips.  "Didn't do nothin' for me 'cept make my fingers tingle, but ah'm not a mutant.  Felt sure he'd a strapped one o' you into it to test it out."

Requiem grinned, but not as wide as his twin brother.  "I believe I know what our next master plot is going to be," the Deathstroke leader said with a smile. 

- - - - -

The trustworthy "meta-enhancer" can be a device, or a drug, or a radioactive stone, or a magical totem - whatever strikes your fancy.  I prefer a bulky device, most likely requiring the theft of a few key components.  With it, a mutant with radioactivity powers can threaten to irradiate the city.  A fire-powered mutant could generate a blocks-wide firestorm.  A weather-manipulator could bring floods and hurricane-level winds to threaten the city.  And of course, a cold-generator could lock the city in a deep freeze.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:50 PM, Mr. R said:

This is my problem, and my last group.  Anything high tech, can we reverse engineer it and make a fast buck! 

The height of the tech might affect the possibility of success, though. The Champions Universe takes that tack with the Malvans, who have a history spanning more than eight hundred millennia. Their technology is so advanced compared to that of humanity, human scientists studying it have likened it to Neanderthals trying to reverse-engineer a supercollider.

22 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The height of the tech might affect the possibility of success, though. The Champions Universe takes that tack with the Malvans, who have a history spanning more than eight hundred millennia. Their technology is so advanced compared to that of humanity, human scientists studying it have likened it to Neanderthals trying to reverse-engineer a supercollider. 

And your super-scientist would be at tops a early agriculture human in that comparision. So give it 200k years, maybe they get somewhere by then.

Stellaris has the "Enigmatic Engineering" ascension perk. In game terms it prevents reverse-engineering of Debris.

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

A fire-powered mutant could generate a blocks-wide firestorm

Or put a firewall around the city.

Or maybe give it a heatwave with deadly levels of heating?

Also heat could be used to increase the resistance of any conductor, disabling the power grid.

This probably isn't very hi-tech but my plot idea for tomorrow's game is this:  a villain wasn't able to get a PS4 for Black Friday (or CyberMonday) so he's taking out his frustration on the local mall, along with some supervillain buddies coming along to make an early 'free' shopping trip.

If you've used the old Danco Turtle Armor in your campaign, someone's taken a few suits and seriously upgraded them, leaving the outer appearance the same. When the heroes come to fight these suits as they're committing crimes, watch out as the new, powerful, high-tech suits get unleashed on them. (I've used this idea about 3 times in various ways. Fun every time.)

For anyone with a power suit/powered armor suit, a regular thug blasts them with an energy ray but to no obvious effect. Later, the hero's suit is a little more powerful much to the hero's glee. Unfortunately, it keeps getting more powerful slowly, making the user slowly losing control over it - which causes damage or havoc on the city. This easily leads to a part B of the episode: where did the thug get the blaster? Which leads to a high-tech supervillain or high-tech genius.

I pulled off the next one in a game, which went well. One of Dr Destroyers Malledroids was captured & damaged by a villain group in a previous episode; not that anyone knew it was a malledroid, just that it was one of Destroyer's robots. Later, the heroes learn that villain team was soundly defeated by the Malledroid and has copied all the villain and heroes' best statistics and powers. The Malledroid has malfunctioned and incorrectly copied too much, making it way more powerful than it is supposed to be & causing it to go haywire. It must be destroyed by the hero team and the heroes may possibly have to work with the villain team to defeat it.

Government agencies like PRIMUS have scientists working for them... and sometimes those scientists are let go (maybe for lax safety procedures or quits after a pet project gets shut down).  Now unemployed, such a scientist might decide to complete his rejected project and sell it to the highest bidder.  "Sure, my energy absorption field generator may overload, destroying an area the size of a city block, but normally it makes the wearer effectively invulnerable to damage!  This could have made Iron Guard agents invincible, but those idiots at PRIMUS are blind, so maybe UNTIL might be interested in it, once I've worked out the kinks."  Of course, the scientist will need components he can't afford to complete his project... so he hires some supervillains to procure them.  The ends, after all, justify the means.  And someone nasty might hear of the scientist's work and decide to steal it, unaware of the possibility of overload.