Ideas for a Bigfoot Cop

Hatut Zeraze

In my currently running campaign, I am using a friendly NPC called Officer Clint Sasquatch.  He's a bigfoot police officer.  He is heavily inspired by a couple of elements from the Champions Online game - Kodiak, the bear-like police officer in Millenium City's Westside, AND the bigfoot tribes found in their candadian north zone.  The other, even closer inspiration is DC comic's recent Sasquatch Detective  https://www.dccomics.com/comics/sasquatch-detective-2018/sasquatch-detective-1.  I basically combined the ideas and imagined a hidden race of bigfoots, like in the game, but in this case, one of them acclimated himself to modern society and joined the police force.

I am looking for any ideas for Officer Clint Sasquatch's write-up.

- I don't want him overshadowing player characters.  In my standard 400 pt campaign, I envision Officer Sasquatch being in the vicinity of 200 pts.

- I looked through a couple of different Bestiaries for stats on a Bigfoot, a Sasquatch, or even an Abominable Snowman, but surprisingly there were none in the 6th or the 4th ed Bestiaries.

- Given that, I am eye-balling the Dr. Moreau-inspired animal men in the 6th ed. Bestiary.  One of them, "Gorilla-Man" might work as a good starting template.  I can mix in some police officer skills & equipment, and it might work pretty well.

Any other ideas folks might have?  Is anyone aware of actual write-ups for Bigfoot, or even specifically for Kodiak (https://championsonline.fandom.com/wiki/Kodiak) from Champions Online?

Thanks!

To date the only full write-up and character sheet published for Kodiak is in the Millennium City source book, for Fifth Edition Champions. (You can buy also buy the hard copy plus PDF if you prefer.) It includes several other NPC heroes and some villains, a few of which haven't been reprinted elsewhere, as well as a great deal about MC itself. The info on the Millennium City Police Department, including their elite Metahuman Activities Response Squad (MARS), would be particularly helpful in developing your character.

As for a specific Hero System character sheet for a sasquatch, there might be one in The Great White Hunter's Bestiary for Sixth Edition Pulp Hero, but I don't have that PDF so can't attest to it. Honestly, though, with Kodiak plus the Gorilla-Man template you should have enough to work with.

I think the big element of Officer Bigfoot should be his ability to show up unexpectedly using his people's innate ability to exist unseen except for the odd footprint...

Every now and then when the heroes are considering straying from the path of righteousness they may hear the same refrain "Dont you think that would be...unlawful??"

🙂

Doc

28 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

I think the big element of Officer Bigfoot should be his ability to show up unexpectedly using his people's innate ability to exist unseen except for the odd footprint...

Every now and then when the heroes are considering straying from the path of righteousness they may here the same refrain "Dont you think that would be...unlawful??"

🙂

Doc

First, that is hilarious.

Second, I don't envision that mysterious, inaccessible element of bigfoot to be part of his abilities.  I want him to just be a quietly strange anomaly on the local police force, something of a local celebrity, but no one goes crazy about him because, once you scratch the surface of his bizarre identity, he is a surprisingly boring, normal guy.

I can see his nickname on the street as "Flatfoot" 🤣

Any idea of the power level you looking at (8DC, 10DC, 12DC, 14DC)?

I can see growth stats and maybe 3 levels of damage negation.

A couple of PD/ED worth of resistant protection as toughness.

A slight advantage in HTH OCV.

Possibly claws and bonuses to climbing.

A tiny little police pistol and the other standard equipment of police officers.

Distinctive features.

A psychological love of donuts, coffee, and beef jerky (Jack Links!)

3 hours ago, Hatut Zeraze said:

Well, the power level of the PCs is intended to max out at 12DC.  As I said earlier, I want him to be lower level than them. Off the top of my head, I think I'd want to put him in the 6DC - 9DC range, at most.

I found Kodiak in the 5e Millennium City book and converted him to 6e.  I'll send Kodiak plus an Officer Sasquatch built off of 300 points (feel free to power him down if you'd like).

4 hours ago, Hatut Zeraze said:

Groovy!  I ordered a copy of the 5e Millenium City book for myself anyway, but it's going to take a bit to get delivered (it sounds like the kind of book I should have picked up ages ago).  

Here you go!  Here's Kodiak (revamped for 6e) and Bigfoot Cop (built of 300 points)

Kodiak.hdc Officer Sasquatch.hdc

New observation:

I was looking through the 6th ed Bestiary for some stats on a lion for a different character and in the dinosaurs section, on page 453, I found the entry for Gigantopithecus.

A sentence in the second paragraph of the description reads:  "Some people have speculated that it survived to the modern day in some isolated places - including the Himalayas (where it's known as the yeti) and the Pacific Northwest (where it's called 'Bigfoot' and 'sasquatch')."

So, now, in addition to the great advice, questions, and links provided by the participants of this thread, I now have some official 6e stats for a bigfoot.  He totals 168 pts.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:32 PM, wcw43921 said:

Does he speak English, like "Darryl" in that one Progressive commercial?  Because I have this image of your officer Bigfoot at a roadside diner in the Northwoods having coffee and shooting the breeze with the locals.  Did you have anything like that in mind?

This is a very good example of how I imagine this character.  He speaks English like a native, but looks absurd.  

On 4/7/2020 at 10:12 AM, Hatut Zeraze said:

Well, the power level of the PCs is intended to max out at 12DC.  As I said earlier, I want him to be lower level than them. Off the top of my head, I think I'd want to put him in the 6DC - 9DC range, at most.

Kodiak fits in there pretty nicely. In the 5E MC book he's at 330 Character Points (when the Standard Superhero started at 350), with a STR of 43. He has Martial Arts (Brawling) which gives him an extra D6 of damage, but that's easy to change or remove. He also has Perks, Talents, and Skills you can easily trim.

BTW Kodiak isn't a cop; he and his partner Teknique are FBI agents assigned to MC. The Bureau has a few supers working for them, some in specific locations, others mobile. That's something you can use to further distinguish Officer Sasquatch from Kodiak.

46 minutes ago, Hatut Zeraze said:

I confess I do not know how to open those.  

They're Hero Designer files -- you need to use that software to open them.

I just got Hero Designer working the other day.  I confess my knowledge of how to export things is very, very shaky.  I clicked on them both multiple times and I kept getting an error message.

Would I have to open Hero Designer first?  I do not know how to get my computer to know what to do with them.

EDIT:  OOOoof!  I got it.  Hero Designer is pretty counter-intuitive for me.  I had to let the idea sit for a little bit until I could think of something else I hadn't already tried.  I will go look at those files now.

EDIT AGAIN:  That Officer Sasquatch write-up is amazing!  He's a teeny bit higher than I intended to make him, but that is easy to tweak.  He is absolutely what I was looking for.  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, Hatut Zeraze said:

I just got Hero Designer working the other day.  I confess my knowledge of how to export things is very, very shaky.  I clicked on them both multiple times and I kept getting an error message.

Would I have to open Hero Designer first?  I do not know how to get my computer to know what to do with them.

EDIT:  OOOoof!  I got it.  Hero Designer is pretty counter-intuitive for me.  I had to let the idea sit for a little bit until I could think of something else I hadn't already tried.  I will go look at those files now.

EDIT AGAIN:  That Officer Sasquatch write-up is amazing!  He's a teeny bit higher than I intended to make him, but that is easy to tweak.  He is absolutely what I was looking for.  Thank you!

No problem! Feel free to power him down.  I mixed the Gigantopithecus and large ape together and added in the flourishes suggested in the thread.  Glad you're happy!

I'm late to the party, but here's a bigfoot flatfoot:

Officer Clint Sasquatch

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 0 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6

15 DEX 0 12- OCV: 4/DCV: 4

21 CON 0 13-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 3 - 3

20 PRE 5 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

4 OCV 0

4 DCV 0

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

4 SPD 0 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

15 PD 0 Total: 15 PD (3 rPD)

16 ED 0 Total: 16 ED (4 rED)

11 REC 0

33 END 0

10 BODY 0

35 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 8

Movement: Running: 9m/18m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers END

Sasquatch Powers

18 1) Sasquatch Strong: (Total: 24 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) +3 PD (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +3 ED (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +6 STUN (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +3 REC (3 Active Points); Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +10 STR (10 Active Points); Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 😎 plus +1 with STR Roll (Real Cost: 2) 1

17 2) Wild Reflexes: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) +5 DEX (10 Active Points); Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 😎 plus +1 OCV (5 Active Points); Linked (DEX; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) plus +1 DCV (5 Active Points); Linked (DEX; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) plus Lightning Reflexes (+5 DEX to act first with All Actions) (5 Active Points); Linked (DEX; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) 0

27 3) Sasquatch Tough: (Total: 49 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) +11 CON (11 Active Points); Limited Power Not vs Stunning (-2), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) plus +4 PD (4 Active Points); Linked (CON; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 ED (4 Active Points); Linked (CON; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 REC (4 Active Points); Linked (CON; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +9 STUN (5 Active Points); Linked (CON; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus +13 END (3 Active Points); Linked (CON; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 1) plus Cannot Be Stunned, Inherent (+¼) (19 Active Points); Linked (CON; -¼) (Real Cost: 15) 0

9 4) BIG foot: (Total: 18 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -2m KB), Persistent (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); Always On (-½), Perceivable (-½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) plus +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Linked (Density Increase; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) plus +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters) (6 Active Points); Linked (Density Increase; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) 0

9 5) Sasquatch Hide: (Total: 16 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (3 PD/4 ED); Perceivable (-½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 7) plus +2 PD (2 Active Points); Linked (Resistant Protection; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 1) plus +2 ED (2 Active Points); Linked (Resistant Protection; -½), Unified Power (-¼) (Real Cost: 1) 0

5 6) Sasquatch Senses: (Total: 5 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Nightvision (Real Cost: 5) 0

Police Powers

1 1) I Carry a Badge: (Total: 2 Active Cost, 1 Real Cost) +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. [a specific group of characters](criminals being arrested)) (2 Active Points); OIF (-½) (Real Cost: 1) 0

7 2) Service pisrol: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 clips of 6 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; -½), Beam (-¼) (Real Cost: 7) [6]

3 3) baton: (Total: 7 Active Cost, 3 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +1d6+1 (7 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) 1

11 4) Cuffs: (Total: 69 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Entangle 3d6, 8 PD/8 ED (standard effect: 3 BODY, 8 PD/8 ED), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+¼) (69 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 ¼), OAF (-1), Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci (-1), Set Effect (Hands Only/Feet Only) (-1), No Range (-½), Conditional Power Must follow Grab or target must be willing (-½) (Real Cost: 11) [1 rc]

10 5) Powered by coffee and donuts. And beef jerky.: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Conditional Power Must have consumed coffee and donuts that day. (-¼), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-¼) (Real Cost: 10) 2

Police Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

3 Basic Strike +1 +0 7d6 Strike

4 Choke Hold -2 +0 Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND

5 Defensive Block +1 +3 Block, Abort

4 Bear Hug +0 +0 9d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

3 Legsweep +2 -1 6d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Martial Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 35 STR to Disarm

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

3 Martial Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 35 STR for holding on

4 Reversal -1 -2 40 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs

5 Takeaway +0 +0 Grab Weapon, 35 STR to take weapon away

1 Weapon Element: Clubs, Default Element: Unarmed

Skills

0 Sasquatch Skills

11 1) Hide and Seek World Champion!: Concealment 16-

5 2) Surpisingly quiet for such a large creature: Stealth 13-

3 3) Survival 12-

3 4) Climbing 12-

0 Police Skills

3 1) "A lot of police work is just talking to people.": Conversation 13-

2 2) Combat Driving 10-

3 3) Streetwise 13-

1 4) Interrogation 8-

2 5) WF: Small Arms

2 6) Paramedics 10-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 192

Total Cost: 200

200+ Matching Complications

150 Base Points

15 Distinctive Features: Bigfoot! (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Social Complication: Subject to orders (member of police force) Frequently, Major

10 Psychological Complication: Loyal to the ideals of police work - "to serve and protect" (Common; Moderate)

10 Enraged: Pestered about the location of his tribe or of other sasquatch (Common), go 8-, recover 14-

Total Complications Points: 200

Lucius Alexander

and here's a palindromedary tagline