Stranger Things

Sociotard

I've only watched S2:E1 so far, and my only negative comment is that I wish they would not bombard me with the 80s music so hard. I prefer it to be applied with a bit more subtlety, not blasted at me during and between every single scene.

On the positive side, perfect casting of Paul Reiser!

Excellent follow up to season 1. Not so scary this time but still a little on the suspenseful side.  I like that there is not just an 80's culture depicted, but even some 80's cinema tropes (nougat). I saw it coming a mile off and was rewarded for my presumption.

I think everybody was cast perfectly. I still love 11 the best and was overjoyed at her character arc. I could not imagine a father-aged man to not feel overprotective of a girl that could whoop our collective asses. I liked that Hopper, arguably the adult hero of the story, isn't some massively chiseled body builder. Total dad-body and still manages to be an absolute badass. Bob was awesome. Even the Stephen King inspired psychopath bully did a pretty good job. So many good things about the season that I would have to go back and make a list. 

The end of the final episode did not have Hopper in his Sheriff uniform. I wonder if there is something to read into that. Not sure how the monster is going to cross back over from the upside down and also not sure if a third season would actually help the franchise. There was a lot of closure in this story and the few loose ends revolved around things that happened in our world (the sister). I wouldn't mind seeing another season but it would have to be something that added to the story in some meaningful way. I kinda like where it ended and I take the final scene with the monster in the upside down more as a scream of frustration than an actual omen. We'll see I suppose.

I don't know anyone who's tried it who doesn't.

Just have to be careful not to bite down on the buckshot.

I've never tried it, but my dad told me that it is kind of gristly. He wasn't a fan. The closest thing to exotic I've ever eaten is venison, or maybe rattlesnake.  Liked the first. The second did NOT taste like chicken, despite the promise made by those who fed it to me. I didn't hate it, but not something I would choose to eat either. Well barring extreme survival circumstances that is.

Episode 7 did feel like a weird side-quest.

That's because it was a weird side-quest. There were very few direct ties to a follow-up season and I think episode/chapter 7 served to set up a recurring character for next season. It also was a driving force for 011 to tap into her abilities like she hadn't before.

It was tonally awkward compared to the rest of the season though.

My understanding is that they've already greenlit a season 3 and that they're planning to wrap up the series with season 4. 

I'd guess that s3 would delve deeper into 008 and any other surviving test subjects.  Possibly also 011 wanting to help her mother.  Monsters & the Upside Down will be part of it because it's Stranger Things.

Apparently episode 7 has divided the fanbase. I didn't hate the episode, and I understand it's intended purpose, but I didn't love it either. I've seen a lot of attempts by YouTube reviewers/commentators to characterize it as yet another X-Men/mutant misfit teamup story, but I think everyone misses the obvious inspiration for that episode. I mean, just look at the title: it was clearly inspired by The Lost Boys more than anything else.

As for how the shadow monster could re-enter our world, well, there are plenty of "weak spots" in the inter-dimensional membrane between our world and the Upside Down. Eleven used one of them to get back, for instance. I'm sure there are plenty of 80s-inspired ways to crack open another gate between worlds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished the season and liked it just as much as the first.  

As for Episode 7 - it does kind of put the brakes on the pacing but it was full of good things so I'm ok with that.  What I would have liked to have seen was it spread as a background story over several of the episodes - if they'd had Eleven interact with them sooner they could have had the train scene and decision to go help her friends happen right at the start of a 'new' episode seven - and then cut back to the facility arc without losing momentum.

The perils of a short season, sometimes, is that you really do have too much story to squeeze in.  

I think most people winced whenever they talked about D&D.  From the outside looking in knowing that 'rolls' are made to do things is fine, though - I remember when I first showed my now-wife my dice bag ('Oh my." /Takei): "Those are dice?" indeed.

(Also I wouldn't be surprised if it was a licensing condition to make whatever mechanics they talked about closer to the current version of the game in case someone watching decided it sounded cool.)

Fun fact: We used to convert percentile rolls to d20 rolls in my group (rounding up for thieves skills or other values not divisible by 5). So if a wizard wanted to overcome  a 60% spell resistance he would indeed need to roll a 13 (I don't recall what good old double chicken monkey had around then - it probably depended on if they they were playing D&D or AD&D).

3 hours ago, massey said:

Finally watched season one.  Great show, but they got the rules for D&D all wrong.  You need to roll a 13 to hit with your fireball?  You aren't trying to overcome spell resistance.  This is 1983.  Demogorgon rolls percentile dice for his magic resistance.  Bunch of bullcrap, I say.

Stupid TV show writers.

Moreover, between Demogorgon's 95% magic resistance and his natural demonic resistance to all fire attacks (no damage on a very easy saving throw, half damage on failure, I believe?), lobbing fireballs at him--even 20d6 ones--would be a pointless exercise. Besides, by the time a party even reaches him, they should have no useful spells left, not after getting past all his minions.

I just assumed that these kids didn't play with all the RAW. Few D&D groups I knew back then did.