Body function, Electrical Signals

illaden

First of we are playing 6th edition and the world we are in is modern day with magic and aliens 

In my hero group that I'm playing atm I want to make a form of magical cyborg/android 
It will be a cyborg/android but powered up with magic and all that instead of electricity because I don't want my character be seen with "Sense electrical" or something like that
Should I just explain that with just cosmetic text or do I have to make powers and complication to match and if I have too do that then do you people have any suggestions? 

Yes, you can just cross out, "cybernetic" and write in, "magical" and everything will work the same. Just keep in mind that you will now be visible to, "Detect magic" (which might be more common than, "sense electrical").

Yes. I'm well aware of that but thanks for reminding me ^^ :D

Yes, you can just cross out, "cybernetic" and write in, "magical" and everything will work the same. Just keep in mind that you will now be visible to, "Detect magic" (which might be more common than, "sense electrical").

You could just cross out "android" and write in "golem". Would a smarter version of Solomon Grundy qualify?

You could just cross out "android" and write in "golem". Would a smarter version of Solomon Grundy qualify?

Or you can just cross out "machine gun" and write in "pizza oven" ...

You need a word to replace "cybernetic organism". I don't see "golem" qualifying myself. Nuada's silver arm is precisely this sort of thing, but I doubt anyone would call him a golem as a result. But if this kind of thing is common enough, terms will have been invented.

Maybe "thaumaturgical organism", contracting to "Thaumorg"?

You need a word to replace "cybernetic organism". I don't see "golem" qualifying myself. Nuada's silver arm is precisely this sort of thing, but I doubt anyone would call him a golem as a result. But if this kind of thing is common enough, terms will have been invented.

Maybe "thaumaturgical organism", contracting to "Thaumorg"?

Nuada's magical silver arm would be the other side of the coin to Winter Soldier's Mechanical one, but the counter version of ST:TNG's Mr. Data would be either a standard golem made of clay or stone. Or something closer to Dr. Frankenstein's flesh golem. The extremely intelligent version from the novel rather than the Boris Karloff type.

You have NO idea how much I hate the term "Flesh Golem", especially as applied to Dr Frankenstein's Creature. Stupid D&Dism. However, I'm happy for Data (who is wholly artificial) to be equated with a Golem, as you say. Very much the same thing in a tech/magic comparison.

But that's not what the OP is talking about. He's after a magical cyborg - a normal living creature with artificial replacement parts that are mystically based instead of technologically. As others have said, it's mostly just a difference in Special Effects in HERO. But it does need a better name than "magical cyborg".

Winter Soldier is a cyborg... so what is Nuada?

Campaign setting may provide some answer. If the enhancements are repairs to critical injuries a la Nuada or Steve Austin, maybe they're "The Saved" or "Second Chancers". If the new arms and such all have a distinctive look maybe "Silverhands" or "Runefaces". If the magic is from one particular magician they may be "Gandalf's Children" or "Merlinites". Or it could be some indirect nickname like "The Wyrd" or "Juju Jockeys".

I have seen the word Automaton used in such a context

If the word automaton was used to refer to persons with artificial prosthetic limbs or organs, whether technological or thaumaturgic, then the word was being misused. Such a person would no more be an automaton than you or I are.

edit: But looking back the original post said "cyborg/android" so we don't really know which it is. So yes, it could well be called automaton although is probably not an Automaton in the Hero System rules meaning of the term.

In GURPS, magically animated replacement limbs are called "Go-limbs." A pun on golem of course.

Lucius Alexander

Otto. A palindromedary barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the thaumaturgy. We can make it better than it was. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Yeah, I like "Go-limbs", especially if the same technique is used to animate them as Golems.

I suspect he meant "Automaton" as a synonym for Golem, which is fair enough.

And on that note, the Frankenstein monster has no real Golem like features aside from size and strength. It's been assembled from dead (but previously living) matter, not unliving clay. It's the product of science, not religious magic or necromancy. The creature is not only free-willed, it's quite intelligent and not particularly inclined to obey Frankenstein - a Golem does what it's told.

Revenant might be a better general term for the creature and reanimated corpses in general (though the term technically includes ghosts, vampires and anything else that has returned from death).

I will try to explain in more detail as much as possible.
First of I think the best term is cyborg. The character is still biological with cybertech.
Something like shadowrun were there is biotech and cybertech
But instead of being powered up with electricity and reciving electrical signals to the brain and all the body function it is instead mana aka magic

My first thought was that "that really isn't cybernetics" but I checked with wiki and actually the discipline is independent of the hardware, and largely refers to the control systems themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics 

Clockwork powered mechanical rods, hydraulic pistons or electric motors are just actuators. Magical ones fit in neatly and would not require a change of terminology.

And for the record Bionics is derived from Greek words to mean "in the manner of life", so also does not require electricity or even machinery.

Having said that, it's still going to get a nickname that would annoy the Cyberneticists and Bionicists  :)

Regarding Frankenstein's monster, I just remembered that Phil and Kaja Foglio's comic Girl Genius uses the term "Construct" for them. That works pretty well for me.