Tech

Negative END and charges

If someone hits 0 END or is drained of END until they have negative END, the rule is that for every 2 END used by the character, they take damage. How do you handle the hero who has other attack powers that are on charges? I'm wondering about seeing heroes fighting without any penalties (or just shrugging it off) because they're relying on powers with charges and thus not using END.

I've also wondered about their CV. Let's face it, if you're really tired, your combat skills because less effective both offensively and defensively.

I have a friend who GM'd that any action constitutes a 1 END cost per phase which if you are out of END means 2 Stun.

I personally don't penalize if you're out of END beyond the 1 end = 2 stun rule.  

Don't forget every 2 END spent after 0 End is 1d6 Stun damage (no defense). Otherwise at this moment, neither do I. However, I would find it odd that someone drained of END down to, say, -25 END can just keep fighting like nothing has happened to them by using charges.

Just now, Tech said:

Don't forget every 2 END spent after 0 End is 1d6 Stun damage (no defense). Otherwise at this moment, neither do I. However, I would find it odd that someone drained of END down to, say, -25 END can just keep fighting like nothing has happened to them by using charges.

Sorry, yes you are right.  I meant 1d6 Stun but low sleep and being on call are taking its toll.  I think I was mixing it up with the cost of end in a fuzzy logic sort of way.

It's also odd that someone with 1 STUN remaining of 100, or down 9 of 10 BOD, or even at negative BOD, can keep battling on.  But that is a compromise we accept for cinematic reality and ease of gameplay.

At 0 END, using END causes STUN.  Powers with no END cost can be used freely. 

I don't recall whether it continued in 6e, but older editions did have a rule that use of a combat maneuver (but not a martial maneuver) always cost at least 1 END.  It was rarely used, but that was the rule.

5 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

that is a compromise we accept for cinematic reality and ease of gameplay.

I think it's perfectly fine for someone with 1 STUN remaining of 100 ... or down 9 of 10 BOD ... to keep battling on ... given the origins of this particular RPG system (you know, Champions, the super hero roleplaying game) - so-called 'reality' or even 'cinematic reality' be damned.

If people playing this game wanted 'reality', they'd find themselves a nice RPG about going to work every day, dealing with annoying bosses and sexually harassing co-workers, etc...

4 hours ago, Surrealone said:

If people playing this game wanted 'reality', they'd find themselves a nice RPG about going to work every day, dealing with annoying bosses and sexually harassing co-workers, etc...

Isn't that called "Papers and Paychecks"?