Western Hero 6th edition

Christopher R Taylor

On 3/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I apologize; I didn't say any of that to be disagreeable; it was just something that I thought we should keep in mind with regard to pricing a Talent.

Nothing to apologize for. 

Those are issues with Talents.

I personally don't find them insurmountable, but then I am not trying to put out a product to the great wilds of RPG'dom :winkgrin:

It is much easier when you are only pleasing your personal game.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, steriaca said:

Sounds like we have a few small things to help build a Western Hero Companion book. A section on Cinimatic Ammunition here. A few new Talents. Enough justification to put an primitive Rastling (Wrestling, Professional) and Knifefighting on the Martial Arts list. Prehaps a few new templates (I do believe Prospector falls under Mountian Man, but where does Railroad Worker falls under? Especially the guys who blast through mountains with dynamite? How's about Rancher [the one who owns the ranch or farm]? Riverboat Sailor? Traveling Entertainer? Saloon Girl/Soiled Dove?).

I'd like to see WHC, but Christopher covers most of the above in WH.

• Cinematic Ammo (no Charges) - although I can't locate exactly where that is right now in a quick search, it's mentioned as a toggle for a Romantic campaign.
  • Talents - I'm always up for more Talents! 😁
  • Rastling and Knifefighting - either use existing MA styles from other products, or reprint them (perhaps slightly modified)
  • Railroad Worker (including explosives expert variant) - Cowboy (ordinary cowpoke) with different Skills.
  • Rancher - okay, I'd like to see that one.  Although using Cowboy (rannie) with more Skills would probably work fine.
  • Riverboat Sailor - Cowboy (ordinary cowpoke) with different Skills.
  • Traveling Entertainer and Sallon Girl/Soiled Dove - Non-combat NPCs; all you need are a few Stats, a few Skills, and a name.

Have I mentioned that I'm really impressed with the job Christopher did with WH?

23 hours ago, SCUBA Hero said:

• Cinematic Ammo (no Charges) - although I can't locate exactly where that is right now in a quick search, it's mentioned as a toggle for a Romantic campaign.
  • Rastling and Knifefighting - either use existing MA styles from other products, or reprint them (perhaps slightly modified)
  • Railroad Worker (including explosives expert variant) - Cowboy (ordinary cowpoke) with different Skills.
  • Rancher - okay, I'd like to see that one.  Although using Cowboy (rannie) with more Skills would probably work fine.
  • Traveling Entertainer and Sallon Girl/Soiled Dove - Non-combat NPCs; all you need are a few Stats, a few Skills, and a name.

Have I mentioned that I'm really impressed with the job Christopher did with WH?

Ok...

Not every player would want to play a Cowboy. Still, most people probably will. And there are some variations everywhere. (As for Riverboat Sailor, Gun Frontier's Harlock comes to mind as he begins as a River Pirate [Owlhoot + sailing skills].)

On 3/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, SCUBA Hero said:

I would use the steam punk book (Gyre) and Pulp Hero to fill out packages.

There is no talent for not needing to reload; its a campaign setting because  as I noted above whatever it costs, if its just available, everyone would buy it.  Not having to worry about reloading is a genre setting toggle, not a personal choice; if the game is gritty and realistic, then it is for everyone.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

There is no talent for not needing to reload; its a campaign setting because  as I noted above whatever it costs, if its just available, everyone would buy it.  Not having to worry about reloading is a genre setting toggle, not a personal choice; if the game is gritty and realistic, then it is for everyone.

I was trying to find the toggle written in the book. I agree about it being a toggle for a romantic campaign, but finding it written up in the book itself seems impossible. 

Found it!  Under Reloading on p. 75, "Once your shootin’ iron has gone through all its bullets, its time to reload or run. Although certain types of Western Hero Campaigns might not pay so close attention to this fact."

So perhaps I overstated it as being an explicit campaign toggle.  But it is in there.

38 minutes ago, SCUBA Hero said:

Found it!  Under Reloading on p. 75, "Once your shootin’ iron has gone through all its bullets, its time to reload or run. Although certain types of Western Hero Campaigns might not pay so close attention to this fact."

So perhaps I overstated it as being an explicit campaign toggle.  But it is in there.

Thanks. A general mention is worth a toggle.

I did some calculations.

The most damage a gun can do via bullets is 3 and 1/2 d6 Killing Attack. This is 50 points in itself. I'm ignoring the Heavy Weapons category, but this does include Pistols, Derringers, Rifles, a d Shotguns. The maximum bullet load for any of the above weapons is 16 bullets (Heavy Repeating Rifle), so that is the level of Charges I use in my calculations.  The unlimited bullets version has Reduced Endurance on it (0 END). Both writeups have Focus (OIF) and Beam.

Unlimited Bullets Gun: 3 and 1/2 d6 Killing Attack, Reduce Endurance (0 END, + 1/2), Beam (- 1/4), Focus (Obvious, Inasessable: - 1/2). Active Cost: 75. Real Cost: 43

Limited Bullets Gun: 3 and 1/2 d6 Killing Attack, 16 Charges (+ 0), Beam (- 1/4), Focus (Obvious, Inasessable: - 1/2). Active Cost: 50. Real Cost: 29.

43 - 29 = 14 points.

If you actually want a Cinimatic Ammunition talent, it will cost a player a minimum of 14 points, with these caveats.

1) The actual damage is that of the weapon used. Anything more than that and your taking track of ammunition.

2) Your maximum bullets are whatever you have on hand logically. You might not have to reload, but if you only have two and a half boxes of ammunition on you, that is 250 bullets till you salvage more of them.

3) The Game Master is free to raise the price or lower it as he sees fit. The GM may ever give everyone this talent for free for romance campaigns.

4) Unluck can affect ammunition. A level of unluck rolled may mark that character A will run out of bullets at a important time, and will not be available till the character can take the time to check his stores for more bullets (or actually buy a box).

11 hours ago, steriaca said:

I'm guessing that the above are from modern pulp western magazines? Never mind. Just spotted the watermark. 

Comic Dan Panosian is working on. Hes just gotten off one book and this is his next. For those who don't remember he did artwork for V&V bitd.

• 4 weeks later...

Talking about weird west, somehow I'm now craving a Western Champions supplement. A low level "masked cowboys" super campaign.

School teacher Lynda Lee fights crime disguised in buckskin and a domino mask as the wild and woolly Lady Buckskin, relying on the injun wrestling techniques taught to her by a handsome half bread after being accosted by some bandits while riding into Indian territory with needed medical supplies.

Well, Lady Buckskin is just one example of a Western Champions character idea. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 5:49 PM, Steve said:

I think a Western Hero/Champions/Dark Champions crossover book of characters is a wonderful idea.

Publish it and take my money, please. ;)

I'd also like to see the ever evasive Victorian Hero too.  There is a lot of crossover.

• 3 months later...