Western Hero 6th edition

Christopher R Taylor

Quick draw multiple champion analyzes scenes from movies.  She brings up (and shows) a fanning gun, designed for fan the hammer maneuvers.  I hadn't seen or heard of one of these before, but they are real and would probably give 1 penalty level to offset OCV penalties to Fan the Hammer.  Still not real good for your gun.

• 3 weeks later...

Western Hero is still selling well and I want to thank everyone out there so much.  From a dumb little side project to practice writing up Hero for my Player Handbook, it developed into a real product and was so much fun to work on.  I hope everyone enjoys Western Hero and runs a zillion games with it.

The Taming of Tascora module is selling fairly well but not gangbusters, I don't think there's enough demand to expand on that right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Again, I have to thank everyone for their interest in and purchase of Western Hero.  I am honestly shocked about how many units are selling around the world.  I know its not D&D levels big time but its huge for me, and fits my thought that there was a lot of interest in an old west game setting.

Honestly it almost brings me to tears.  I have been working as hard as I can for years and it is so nice to see at least something sell really well for a while to make it seem as if I'm not just wasting my time.  Thank you all, everywhere.

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Again, I have to thank everyone for their interest in and purchase of Western Hero.  I am honestly shocked about how many units are selling around the world.  I know its not D&D levels big time but its huge for me, and fits my thought that there was a lot of interest in an old west game setting.

Honestly it almost brings me to tears.  I have been working as hard as I can for years and it is so nice to see at least something sell really well for a while to make it seem as if I'm not just wasting my time.  Thank you all, everywhere.

No, thank you :thumbup:

It was great to see a well written western book hit the street. 

• 1 month later...

I had a look over at my Taming of Tascora module for Western Hero and discovered that it had some errors and a bad map in it.  Apparently I'd sent Jason the work version of the file instead of the completed finished version :(

So that's been straightened out and you can get the correct version either here or at DriveThru RPG.  If you already got it, you can just download the updated version free.

• 3 weeks later...

The museum we visited had a considerable amount of Civil War relics, but this LeMatt revolver looked like all it needed was a quick reload and it would be ready for action.

Given that most western movies feature on the well-known guns of the era-- the Colts and the Smittys, etc-- it seemed criminal to pass up shots of this LeMatt.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:54 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Quick draw multiple champion analyzes scenes from movies.  She brings up (and shows) a fanning gun, designed for fan the hammer maneuvers.  I hadn't seen or heard of one of these before, but they are real and would probably give 1 penalty level to offset OCV penalties to Fan the Hammer.  Still not real good for your gun.

Neither was cracking some bad guy in the melon with the barrel of your Winchester like it was a lever action sword....But that’s the way the Duke did it.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:52 PM, Tjack said:

Neither was cracking some bad guy in the melon with the barrel of your Winchester like it was a lever action sword....But that’s the way the Duke did it.

If we want to get into John Wayne doing considerable damage to weapons in order to look cool, look no further than his introduction to the big-budget movie-going public:

Before everyone leaps in talking about how many times a person can do this, and how many modifications and heavier parts can be installed and are readily available, let me point out that that was not the case here.  This was something Wayne came up with playing around before the shooting when the director told him to try to come up with something unique and memorable for his character's introduction.  This was a bone-stock rifle with a very heavy barrel doing something it would likely survive a few times, but still....    gad....

All this is true but this is the thread for Western Hero, not western reality.  I don’t recall seeing in the Fantasy Hero section discussions about the alternatives for toilet paper, or that everybody’s breath stunk.

This should be the place for debating how much of an advantage “Never runs out of bullets” should be.

I didn't do, it but I considered a talent that made guns never run out for a character.  It just felt a bit too much to offer, since its more a genre thing.  Guns either run out for everyone (realistic/gritty) or no one in movies and other source material.  So its a campaign feature.  Having one dude who pays points to just never run out would feel less western and more fantasy, to me at least.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

All this is true but this is the thread for Western Hero, not western reality.  I don’t recall seeing in the Fantasy Hero section discussions about the alternatives for toilet paper, or that everybody’s breath stunk.

This should be the place for debating how much of an advantage “Never runs out of bullets” should be.

That's not an Advantage; that's the norm.  ;)

If you want to run out of bullets, you take "Real Weapon" or "Charges."  :lol:

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2021 at 3:06 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

You do great work, and I'm glad WH is selling so well. 👍

I did some looking and found that cool four-barrel pistol pictured on page 59.  It's a Remington Elliot ring four-barrel Derringer.  Chambered for .32 rimfire.  I couldn't find barrel length, but it looks to be ~3-1/2 - 4 inches. Also couldn't find out if the barrel was rifled, but I doubt that it was (although I don't know if that would make a difference in Hero stats).  It's double-action.  The barrels do not rotate; pulling the ring trigger forward rotates a single firing pin to the next barrel.

So I'd write it up same as the Pepperbox on page 68 except that it's .32, double-action instead of cap-and-ball, first available 1863.  

According to one source, these "were manufactured between 1863 - 1888 and about 17,500 were made in .32 rimfire" 

A good weapon for a gambler, or a good backup weapon for anyone.

Remington Elliot 4 barrel Derringer.jpg