2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Broncos were going to go up for sale after Bowlen died.  There were some probate-related issues.

Tommy Boy made it official.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BIGGER news???  Brian Flores has filed a class-action lawsuit against the NFL, Fins, Broncos, and Giants alleging racism in coaching hiring.  WOW!!!  No one who follows the league at all would argue the numbers brook no denial.  But it's still huge that it got filed.  

EDIT:  Flores was a finalist for, IIRC, the Texans.  I figured, forget that now.  Michael Wilbon on PTI's opening segment noted...it probably means he can't get another job in the NFL, *period*.

Just now, Cancer said:

We've already seen obvious collusion among owners in the Kaepernik situation, and this suit being filed suggests that there's a legal team that thinks they can win.  Fine to me.

Oh heck, Kap's case is nothing.  I doubt that was ever winnable. 

The hiring and firing practices have a LENGTHY track record.  It's a *routine* subject of discussion on NFL shows, particularly this time of year when new hiring is most active.  "Any interview required by the Rooney Rule is at best pro forma."  Well, OK, they won't say it like that but that's the point I've heard over and over and over again.  If Flores' case was based on nothing but his own situation, he'd have a slim chance.  But his arguments are massively bolstered by decades of clearly documented practices by the owners.  Kap's is purely a singular issue.

I'm not sure what the standard of proof here will be.  It feels like the abysmal history of hiring/retaining black coaches establishes the fact that discrimination is rampant.  That may in itself be enough to impale the league;  they've abandoned the Rooney Rule.  That might be the wedge to get into the collusion aspects.

Another point on that regard is that the NFL itself has admitted there should be more black coaches and senior front office personnel.  Heck...sorry Mr. P but it's a perfect case...the charge of Old Boy Network can be EASILY argued with Elway.  He's had no talent for the front office...but he's been there forever.    

Another angle is he's filed it as a class-action suit, thereby opening the door for other black coaches to join.  That opens the door for more and more evidence.

Last point:  baseball's going to be watching this.  Their track record is better...but still not good.  The NBA will pay attention but they don't have that many worries;  from a quick Google search, there are 13 current black head coaches there.