2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

Cleveland is out on Watson. Good news. 

They completely broke their relationship with Baker. Bad news.

Maybe. If Baker is released, I don't think he'll be unemployed long. He may not be one of the elite, but he's capable if you surround him with players. 

He'd be a great back up in SF...?

Von Miller, mentioned by some as a potential replacement for Randy Gregory in Dallas, has instead signed for 6 years and $120M with Buffalo.

Miller was apparently interested in playing for the Cowboys, but the team never made an offer.

8 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

My husband: I can root for a bad team. I have a hard time rooting for a stupid team. And I won't support an evil team. 

I can respect that. Bad teams can result from good-looking draft picks and good-looking trades which go sour. Or from a plague of injuries. Stupidity is another level.

I can't root for the Cowboys because the owner's stupid philosophy which, as he's stated publicly many times, is to play to keep the game close until the end and to try to pull out a win in the fourth quarter.

That's stupid because playing to keep the score intentionally close until the end then try to win means that at best you're going to have a 50-50 chance of winning (unless you're so much more talented than the other team that you've just been toying with them all game).

And Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he hires coaches who share his philosophy.

Jerry Jones played college football in the 1960's and that's how they did it back then. So he treats his ownership as primarily a nostalgia trip rather than as a business or as a football franchise which wants to adapt and win in the modern NFL.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Von Miller, mentioned by some as a potential replacement for Randy Gregory in Dallas, has instead signed for 6 years and $120M with Buffalo.

Miller was apparently interested in playing for the Cowboys, but the team never made an offer.

Well, Miller's getting $17.5M a year for the next 4 years, and $51M total guaranteed.  He's 32 and a linebacker...4 years?  The deal is backloaded, and if there's not much guaranteed, cutting him might not be a problem.  

But that's still a big contract, and the 'boys are already paying Dak and Zeke big time.

We're also seeing that the Rams might well be a one-and-done team.  Sportrac says they're still $10M over the cap without Miller's contract, so keeping him would've been quite difficult, I suspect.  Hope Rams fans like that they got a parade...cuz it looks like it'll be a while before the next one.

34 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Davante Adams is a Raider.  Poor bastard.

Not with that contract.  Average annual value doesn't say everything, but it's more than any other WR, at $28M + .  Yeah, as Starlord said, that's QB money...HIGH END QB money at that.  There's only 8 QBs making more.

Wonder how that QB the Packers have, feels now.  Hopefully *steamed*.  

64 cent question...does the situation in Cheesehead Land reflect on the state of the Packer management generally....or is it, perhaps, largely engendered by preferential treatment given to their QB?

There's still lots of free agents out there so the "roster power" for each team is still fluid.  Still, it'll be interesting to get the preseason SB odds after the draft.  Not very meaningful maybe, but still amusing.

Oh, and of course the Browns are saying "no" to a trade right now.  It's really debatable how much trade value he's got at this point, but saying anything else will only reduce it.  That said, I think the rumors have likely gutted any value he might have anyway.

From a friend's FB...

We’ve been watching the slow death of the American manufacturing sector for the last 30 years. As a nation that used to make things, it’s depressing. But there’s a light in the darkness.
In Cleveland, a once-shuttered building has reopened.
The Factory of Sadness is back.