2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Sports Illustrated headline:
The Browns Will Never Live Down Trading for Deshaun Watson

Nor will it work out.  That contract is insane, and it's going to gut them.  The draft picks...they'll be in a similar shape to the Rams.  The contract terms are obscene...in Watson's favor.  He's getting a $45M signing bonus and a $1M salary...so even if the league suspends him, the Browns are out the bonus.

Wow.  I'll grant that I'm not as anti-Watson...charges were NOT pressed, so calling him a rapist is inaccurate.  I *do* think...with that many charges, that many different people...he's a slimeball.  And he was jerking his team around like that Green Bay git, before the charges came to light.  So...

--I agree that even if he's not a rapist, his rep is SO bad that it's going to be a massive PR problem.

--He's proven he has no loyalty.

--We have to question his off-field judgment.

Yet the Browns *grotesquely* overpaid.

This feels like the Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams trades...just from the trade mechanics.  Much less the foolish contract terms, and the toxic nature of the player. 

Yeah, I suspect the Browns have totally vaulted to the top of the Most Hated Franchise here.  And Stupidest Franchise...beating the Jets takes work, but this does it.

Our tirades against the Browns, and those in the media, will mean nothing.  The only thing that will is if the Browns lose season ticket holders and local sponsors...in large numbers.

That seems unlikely.

Still...I now fervently hope the league suspends him, or puts him on the exempt list, long-term.  The Browns deserve it.  Watson...well, let's face it, he doesn't care any more.  He can't be hurt even *by* a suspension.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Still...I now fervently hope the league suspends him, or puts him on the exempt list, long-term.  The Browns deserve it.  Watson...well, let's face it, he doesn't care any more.  He can't be hurt even *by* a suspension.

This is probably the worst part about all of this, even more than stabbing Mayfield in the back or the Browns committing ethical suicide.  Watson is guaranteed almost a quarter billion dollars.  The contract is set up in such a way that even a suspension won't cut into that.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

In terms of draft picks, what Cleveland gave up to get DeShaun Watson is pretty similar to what Denver gave up to get Russell Wilson. In what alternate universe does that make any sense at all?

He's a PR nightmare. His proclivities (Assuming he is guilty. I think there's go to be some fire connected to all that smoke but this IS America. There are no pending criminal charges and  the transcripts of these civil cases will probably never see the light of day so there IS  a non-zero chance that he's clean but I'll have to see proof). 

But the Browns are betting on the on-field Watson being the same guy. Just by the numbers, Watson is a top 5 QB and he only 26 years old. Statistics wise he's on a HOF career path. I think the Browns are so desperate they'll even swallow a 1 year suspension in the hope that he can lead them to a Super Bowl.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsDe00.htm

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Oh my.  Epic spellcheck AND editor failure from that story:

But they restructured to make it more pallatible for Buffalo, and essentially purchased the seventh-round pick for $1 million.

When you know you're gonna ditch Mayfield, I guess this makes sense.  

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Ohhh man.  That makes me very sad;  he was old school, not some airhead former player or vacuous talking head.

It must've been something nasty;  all I can find is, hospitalized quite recently, then...this.  

Bummer.......