2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Kyle Sloter, former University of Northern Colorado and Denver Broncos practice squad quarterback, just threw the easiest touchdown pass in the history of anything ever for the Birmingham New Orleans Breakers against the Birmingham Tampa Bay bandits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, Logan.1179 said:

Hakeem Olajuwon may not be the household name Shaquille O'Neal is, but he has always had the respect of just about everyone. I can't recall a single bad thing ever being said about Hakeem other than in the immediate postgame after he took the Rockets to another victory. Shaq had more raw physical gifts and more spectacular offensive talent, but Hakeem was the far better post defender.

Neither was a guy you wanted to play against. Shaq would make you look silly on the next hot NBA poster, while Hakeem would beat you black and blue should you try to post up on him. The spotlight loved Shaq much more than it did Hakeem because Shaq had this larger-than-life swagger while Hakeem was quiet off the court and professional on it.

All in all, good guys to have as your namesakes.

Schedules are up. Jags open the season on 9-11 at Washington. 

This means the Jags will be the first team to play a game* against the Commanders. Dubious honor. 

We have the 26th hardest schedule. We play Houston twice, Jets, Giants, and Detroit. We also go to Kansas City, our toughest game. 

* Regular season. Pre-season doesn't count. 

On 5/11/2022 at 7:37 AM, Logan.1179 said:

Lambo, the kicker that the fraud Urban Meyer assaulted, is suing... the Jags. Not Meyer directly, no, the incompetent organization that hired him. That'll teach em. 

From what I'm reading, he's got very little chance.  He alleges improper termination because he was a whistleblower...but he also went 0-3 on FGs in the opening weeks.  He asserts that isn't meaningful because none caused a loss, but that's total BS to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/sport/josh-lambo-jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-spt-intl/index.html

It feels like the defense is simple:  player contracts are personal services contracts, and thus predicated on performance.  0-3 is unacceptable performance.  Bye-bye.  He might have a case if he could show the toxic workplace led to the performance issues...but that doesn't feel like it's germaine.  Could easily be wrong there.  

I'm not defending Meyer or the Jags, just saying the guy's approach won't work.

We have the 26th hardest schedule. We play Houston twice, Jets, Giants, and Detroit. We also go to Kansas City, our toughest game. 

It shows, tho, that the scheduling methods create seriously uneven schedules.  Because on that list...the 4 weakest schedules are the NFC East.  Every division plays within the division, against another division in the conference, and against another division in the other conference...that's 14.  SOS is based on winning from last season...it's easy to quickly count the games over/under .500 for each division.  3 weakest:  AFC South, NFC North, and NFC East.  The NFC East is playing...you got it...the AFC South and NFC North.

The Ravens have the 23rd weakest schedule.  They are the only team that low, that is NOT in the AFC South, NFC East, or NFC North.

Seems likely that he has little chance of winning the suit, but there's a chance that the club would throw some money at him to drop the suit and go away if that's cheaper than defending themselves against the lawsuit.

Possible, but he's already dumped enough out there that I'm not sure he can do much more damage.  Plus, going to trial, they have a chance to refute;  and if they win, they'll get more vindication.

They may settle, I'll grant;  they may also try to out-wait him.  Not like this can come to trial any time soon.  The Jags have the deeper pockets.  Wikipedia notes that after being cut, the Steelers signed him to their practice squad...then cut him 10 days later.  That may be for various reasons;  the practice squads only have so many slots.  But it doesn't look good.  And if the Jags drag things out, then it's plausible there'll be more, similar results.  Also, even showing that there's little or no interest, is easy to spin into "the guy can't perform."  Players get cut, only to sign with other teams, all the time.  OH, of note, looking at Lambo's stats for 2021....0-3 on FGs but 2 were 50+.  But only 5-7 on extra points.  Small sample size, granted, but that's downright bad.

Plus according to PFT, and the CBA...he needed to go through arbitration first.  That may not hold, but it gives the Jags another route to delay things, where they don't have to answer in open court.

So who else missed THIS little tidbit?

Fox isn't crying about Aikman and Buck leaving...no.  They signed Brady to a 10 year, $375M contract.  Yeah...$375M.  For *broadcasting*...kicks in once he retires from the NFL.  Will it pay off?  Initially, I expect so;  he'll create a massive amount of buzz.  But he has to be a good analyst for it to stick.  We'll see how that goes.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Fox isn't crying about Aikman and Buck leaving...no.  They signed Brady to a 10 year, $375M contract.  Yeah...$375M.  For *broadcasting*...kicks in once he retires from the NFL.  Will it pay off?  Initially, I expect so;  he'll create a massive amount of buzz.  But he has to be a good analyst for it to stick.  We'll see how that goes.

I'm assuming Brady will have the analysis part down, I just wonder about his personality.  Romo great at analysis but I love his enthusiasm just as much.  I wish they'd let him do more analysis during the games in fact, the x's and o's are fascinating.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Romo great at analysis but I love his enthusiasm just as much.  I wish they'd let him do more analysis during the games in fact, the x's and o's are fascinating.

I've always loved watching Tony Romo as an analyst. It seems like half the time he knows what the defense is going to do before the defense does.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I've always loved watching Tony Romo as an analyst. It seems like half the time he knows what the defense is going to do before the defense does.

Yeah there’s been games when Romo’s like “Oh! Oh! Big play coming!” And both teams are still lining up. And he’s right.