2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

44 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Flip side:  if the offer is $4B, that in itself highlights the major bar to entry for finding minority owners.  

Well, at the risk of sounding even more cynical than usual, isn't that the point?

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins has died as a result of, apparently, being hit by a car.  Early report is exiting his car along the side of the road, got struck.

He was in South Florida, on a training/team building session with teammates.

Jesus.  Kid was only 24, too.

My, my.  Things are escalating.  First para from USA Today:

The House Oversight Committee announced Tuesday that it has reason to believe the Washington Commanders and owner Daniel Snyder might have withheld or concealed ticket revenue and related funds as part of "a troubling, long-running, and potentially unlawful pattern of financial conduct."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/commanders/2022/04/12/washington-commanders-congress-financial-house-oversight-committee/7289891001/

So it's no longer semi-anonymous, potentially dubious accusations.

What say ye all...should we start the countdown clock on Snyder?  The charges clearly rise to the level of removing him, IMO;  heck, there's serious jail time for fraud here.  Snyder might not be convictable on any criminal charge, but malfeasance of this magnitude clearly falls on him.  Heck, we can compare this to Donald Stirling...this is more serious on every level.

USFL 2022 Viewer's Guide: Schedule, players, coaches, everything to know about new football league

So, whom shall I root for? I can't support the Generals because of who owned the previous iteration of the team (and is largely responsible for the demise of the league the first time around). I'm not a huge fan of red, so that knocks out about six of the eight teams. So, the Pittsburgh Maulers or the New Orleans Breakers?

Edit: Here are the uni sets.

USFL-Uniforms-750x422.jpeg

L→R: Bandits, Breakers, Gamblers, Maulers, Panthers, Stallions, Stars, Generals

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

What’s wrong with a red-uniformed team named the Commies? In the nation’s capital?  No idea. 

Ehh, I think that's a stretch.  Not that you'll be unique with that observation.  And it's not red anyway.

USFL:  the networks are certainly giving them exposure.  The first game is being shown on both NBC and Fox.  For the first 3 weeks, 11 of the 12 games get a broad release...at least FS1 or USA Network.  There's a Sunday night game in week 3 that's Peacock only.  They're scheduled to show 22 of the 43 total games...40 regular season, 3 playoffs.

This makes perfect sense for NBC;  their sports portfolio is incredibly thin outside of Sunday Night Football.  Fox has NASCAR and some baseball, but that still leaves quite a bit of room.  Fox also might want to keep ESPN squeezed out;  ESPN really feels like they've been sharply contracting for the last decade.  

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Raiders have given QB Derek Carr a 3 year $121.5M extension.

And every time I think no one can plumb greater depths of front office stupidity, I'm proven wrong.

Which just goes to show I'm insane.  Doing (or saying) the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....

Collectively, we are all total suckers.  

On 4/14/2022 at 7:43 AM, Starlord said:

I think Carr is a good QB, that contract is now the going rate for a 'good' NFL QB, and I doubt they can find a better one over the next 5 years.  I don't see an issue with the deal.

Characterizing that as "good"...that's an overstatement.  Only 4 QBs will make more next year.  Mahomes...no brainer.  Allen...understandable.  Rodgers...if we only focus on the football numbers, ok, I get it.  The 4th is Watson.  WILDLY!!!!!!! overpaid on multiple levels, but *believed to be* top 5 QB talent.

At a similar level, you've got Dak...Jerry's always overpaid for His Guys, and Dak's one of those.  Stafford is next, looking at average annual value, tied with Dak.  His contract is somewhat complex.  He's similar to Carr.  

After that, it's Wilson...if he's not top 5 now, he was not very long ago.  Then you've got Goff, Cousins, Wentz, and Ryan in the low-mid 30's.  At best, it seems Carr fits in here, IMO.  

Plus, it's a HUGE raise.  He was making $25M;  it seems unnecessary to go as high as the Raiders did.

On the flip side, overpaying for the QB you have is routine.  The fear aspect that he'll leave, and you'll instantly drop to irrelevant, is enormous, I think.

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Characterizing that as "good"...that's an overstatement.  Only 4 QBs will make more next year.  Mahomes...no brainer.  Allen...understandable.  Rodgers...if we only focus on the football numbers, ok, I get it.  The 4th is Watson.  WILDLY!!!!!!! overpaid on multiple levels, but *believed to be* top 5 QB talent.

At a similar level, you've got Dak...Jerry's always overpaid for His Guys, and Dak's one of those.  Stafford is next, looking at average annual value, tied with Dak.  His contract is somewhat complex.  He's similar to Carr.  

After that, it's Wilson...if he's not top 5 now, he was not very long ago.  Then you've got Goff, Cousins, Wentz, and Ryan in the low-mid 30's.  At best, it seems Carr fits in here, IMO.  

Plus, it's a HUGE raise.  He was making $25M;  it seems unnecessary to go as high as the Raiders did.

On the flip side, overpaying for the QB you have is routine.  The fear aspect that he'll leave, and you'll instantly drop to irrelevant, is enormous, I think.

Well, its an extension through 2025.  The 2025 number is about 41.3 mil and that may not look too bad at that point.

16 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Well, its an extension through 2025.  The 2025 number is about 41.3 mil and that may not look too bad at that point.

Perhaps.  There's a degree of circularity to that;  the ridiculous contracts massively inflate the average contracts, which help inflate the top contracts.  At best, it might be fair to say they're overpaying for the next 2 years, and maybe paying market value for the next 2.  We'll see.  Note that some of the massive contracts (Goff, perhaps Ryan, Cousins and Wentz) won't escalate moving forward, so that $40M may still be on the high side even 3 years from now.  And further down the line, Mayfield's a case of a QB you'd think might've seen that level in '25 or so...but likely won't now.

Then again, we are seeing the new salary cap kick in with some of these deals.  It remains to be seen if the Wentz/Cousins/Goff contract missteps slow down the massive, seemingly semi-automatic overpayment to QBs.  To be sure:  you're probably better off betting on MORE salary inflation rather than less.  The NFL hype engine screams the positive and generally buries the negative.

In the opening game of the new-look USFL, the Birmingham Stallions scored a touchdown in the final minute to defeat the Birmingham Generals 28-24. Both teams scored on their opening drives, and then the defenses clamped down for most of the next two and a half quarters. It was pretty clear that the offenses weren't on the same page yet. Still, it was an entertaining game with some really good football. 

I hope they can last the whole season.