Spend a moment...

unclevlad

It is hard to believe...but...

Tomorrow marks 20 years since planes were used as weapons of mass destruction.

I still remember NPR's initial reports...confused and unclear.  

I vividly remember watching the only TV I could watch...a tiny thing, lousy reception OTA, but, yes, I watched tower 2 fall.  It's still a jarring memory.

I barely remember the rest of the week, I was that numb.

To honor everyone...the passengers who thwarted another attack by forcing the plane down, the victims at the Penatgon, all the lives lost in the Towers, and last but by no means least, all the emergency responders who fell...do something that has meaning to you.  Whatever it may be.

I was well into my workday when the news starting coming through that a plane had hit a building. Automatically you think small plane and accident. We had the BBC on feed and it froze. But we had a television and we saw coverage of it. It was dumbfounding. It still is.

I had friends in America and I e-mailed them to make sure they were ok even though they were in the Mid-West. At the time I was not on this board or any other. My ID came later, the next year in fact.

Some things you just can't forgive and never will.

I remember reading not terribly long before that about how a US military plane got lost in the fog over New York and had crashed into the Empire State Building during World War II.

When I got into my car the morning of September 11th, 2001, the first thing on the radio was a report of how a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. The first thing that came to my mind was that it had been a similar accident. Then when I learned of a second plane crashing into the other tower, I realized with horror but it was anything but.

My fiance at the time lived in the flight path approaching Salt Lake International Airport. I remember how eerily quiet it was for the next week with no planes coming in or going out.

I was on the Aurora Bridge in Seattle riding my bus to work when I inferred some of what happened from the handful of phone calls(and responses) that broke out on board , I think about the time the plane hit the Pentagon.  It was easy to get more direct news when I got downtown and up to my desk on the 14th floor.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:04 PM, Sundog said:

Which was foolish. We will forget, eventually it will be nothing more than another event of history.

The same thing happened after Pearl Harbor.  The people alive at the time remembered the event vividly and even told their children.  However,  those children took them as parent's tales and wanted to create their own that doesn't include what happened in their parents life.  I expect the same to happen now in this current generation.  Those who experienced the Terrorist Attack will  continue to remember the event, but our children will want to move onto other things and not involve their parents activities.