Books We Hated!

Mazes and Monsters by Rona Jaffe. Trash novel written about a fictional role-playing game and the lives it ruined. I have a hard cover copy somewhere in my books, that I found in a thrift store for twenty-five cents; I might have over-paid.

It was converted into a made-for-TV movie in 1982, which is most notable for starring Tom Hanks in his first movie role.

33 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Lady P would like to nominate Who Moved My Cheese? 

I will happily second the nomination. Corporate-driven tripe, rife with platitudes formulated to keep the peasants from getting too uppity. 

Back when I worked at an office supply store, Who Moved My Cheese? was frequently bought by the higher-ups to give to middle managers, who had to implement cost-cutting measures (usually layoffs and job consolidations). We would know the situation was really bad at the company if said higher-ups also bought What Color Is Your Parachute? 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I will happily second the nomination. Corporate-driven tripe, rife with platitudes formulated to keep the peasants from getting too uppity. 

Apperently it was smuggled into Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union during the Cold War in an attempt to "inspire" dissent against "Communism".

During a period of unemployment, it was given to me by a hack from the privatised Australian unemployment system in an attempt to "inspire" me. I refrained from throwing it at him.

10 minutes ago, assault said:

Apperently it was smuggled into Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union during the Cold War in an attempt to "inspire" dissent against "Communism".

During a period of unemployment, it was given to me by a hack from the privatised Australian unemployment system in an attempt to "inspire" me. I refrained from throwing it at him.

I would say "I admire your restraint."

But frankly, I'd admire it more if you'd hit him with it.

The book was highly insulting.

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

The principal at my first school wanted everyone in the staff to read that. I had just started, but I thought that was a bad sign. 

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

My boss at my last job used to quote The Fountainhead at me now and then. 

Good, that’s one of the best ways to identify an a$$hole.  Nobody with any regard for others quotes Ayn Rand.

When a business makes its employees read Who Moved My Cheese, that's a sign that the business is planning on screwing over its employees and is actively planning to keep finding new ways to screw its employees.

Hey, change is inevitable.

But you don't make change any easier by getting employees all worked up about changes which haven't happened yet and which might never happen.

An anxious and fearful employee is not a happy nor a productive employee.