Anchored in "Space"

Utensil

Looking for an effect that would anchor a character so he/she be difficult to move from position, be it someone grabing him/her to knockback to recoil of a gun.

Any suggestions ... I have a few idea wondering in my head but like to hear from others first.

Let me look in the Hero System Book of Templates. Ah...page 15, "Immovable Man", the template version of The Blob. He has got this power: "Clinging (80 STR), Limted Power (Only to resist being moved, -1/2)" 24 Active Points, 16 Real Points. He also has this power: "Knockback Resistance -20m, Unified Power (Reflection, -1/4)" 20 Active Points, 16 Real Points. 

Yes much like the blob.

Was thinking that some place in the multiple dimensions should be some place to cling too:

Anomaly Anchor:  Clinging (+30 STR), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2*) (30 Active Points)

Anomaly Achor:  Density Increase (200,700 kg mass, +0 STR, -24m KB) (48 Active Points); No STR Increase (-1/2), No Defense Increase does not provide PD or ED (-1/4) Real Cost 27, Active Cost 48.

Special Effect is that others wishing to pick him up and move him treats him at much higher weight.

But this increase weight has no effect on surfaces he interacts with. Just moving the character.

What kinds of forced movements are you looking to resist?  Clinging will allow you to resist a lot of things including KB.  The extra d6 to resist KB from clinging may not be enough so some KB resistance will probably be needed.  That will cover the majority of forced move, but you will still be affected by some things.

Clinging and KB resistance will not help you vs teleportation or movement bought with the useable as an attack.   The best way to defend against those things is probably density increase.   Density increase is dirt cheap so would not take much to prevent you from being moved.  Since it gives KB resistance as well as mass you can probably use this as an alternative to straight KB resistance.  

2 hours ago, Utensil said:

What is value of limitation "Only to Resist Shove, Grab & Throw, and Related Effects"? -1, -1½, -2?

All my books except Champions Complete are in storage.

Depends on how offen your players preform Shoves, Grabs, and Throws. If it is all the time, then it is very common and worth less than if nobody can do it. I would say between -1/2 to -1 for a normal campaign. 

16 hours ago, Utensil said:

What is value of limitation "Only to Resist Shove, Grab & Throw, and Related Effects"? -1, -1½, -2?

All my books except Champions Complete are in storage.

Whatever your GM allows?  ;) If you're the GM, it's up to you; I can't find a power written up precisely this way.  I would assign at least -1: STR seems like somewhat more of an offensive power (grabbing, squeezing, striking) than defensive (resisting shove, grab, throw, slam, breaking out of entangles, etc).  And this applies to just some of the defensive aspects, so it seems like it should have a discount of at least 50%.  On the other hand, looking for analogies, Champions Powers writes up a lot of powers as EGO, Only to Resist Mental Powers (-1/2), which seems somewhat stingy to me.  

By the way, I made my initial suggestion (Shove, Grab & Throw, etc.) without consulting the book - it seems like it probably just be the Throw part of Grab & Throw, and should also apply to Slam.  But this definitely seems like it will be whatever the GM decides.

18 hours ago, Utensil said:

Anomaly Achor:  Density Increase (200,700 kg mass, +0 STR, -24m KB) (48 Active Points); No STR Increase (-1/2), No Defense Increase does not provide PD or ED (-1/4) Real Cost 27, Active Cost 48.

Special Effect is that others wishing to pick him up and move him treats him at much higher weight.

But this increase weight has no effect on surfaces he interacts with. Just moving the character.

If you or your GM agree to this, great!  Hand-wave away.  But it seems like Density Increase is built to be balanced by the side-effect of having an effect on surfaces the character interacts.  Taking it away is itself another advantage, which some GMs might want to assign a value to.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Are you trying to create the “Immovable Rod” from D&D? 

I think more like internalizing the Immovable Rod as super powers. The thing with the Hero System is by the book it doesn't do absolutes well. In theory there is always someone which can move something or someone else.

The simplistic solution is to allow the player to buy say 25 points of Knockback Resistance, hardened, and say 50 STR Clinging and one inch of Flying at 0 END and use GM Fiate to say he can't be moved. This, then no force on Earth can move him. Cause he has the base powers AND the GM says so.