New Champions Complete Roll20 Bundle Project

There’s a new Roll20 project in the works with a Q4 2022 targeted release. The Champions Complete Bundle will include a combined Compendium of Champions Complete and Champions Begins, plus the Champions Begins tutorial adventure and an additional set of maps and tokens.

If you’re unfamiliar with Roll20 Compendiums, they provide simple rules and content access with filtering and search capabilities. Additionally, Compendiums allow users to drag and drop character tokens directly into maps and access their character sheets. For example, a GM could drop a villain into a map and access the villain’s character sheet in seconds. The Compendium will use the currently available HeroSystem6e character sheet. Additionally, the GM can share the Compendiums with their players.

The Champions Begins adventure will have links to easily access content, character sheets for the pre-generated characters and villains as well as maps and tokens to run the adventure. The Game Master book will also be available in the Compendium allowing GMs and players to quickly reference information. 

We will continue to use this topic in the coming months to post news of the progress and to get feedback from the community on the project. 

We hope you’ll be as exited about this project as we are! 

Let’s start the week with an update last week’s progress. Besides a computer crash on Friday that slowed things down a bit (don’t worry everything is saved in the cloud), we were able to work through Chapter 1 of the Champions Begins GM Book through about half way into Chapter 2. As a side note, we can’t really separate the early parts of the GM book content from the adventure parts, so the adventure is really the entire GM book of Champions Begins. For this week, the plan is to continue working through Chapter 2, and possibly be into Chapter 3 by mid to late week. 

Here is an early plan for the project with the target completion dates. The target completion date of the project is October 1st, but we’re trying to finish ahead.

• VIPER Nest Adventure (Champions Begins GM Book): 5/6/22
  • Champions Complete Compendium: 6/30/22
  • Champions Begins Character Book: 7/15/22
  • Champions Begins Player Book: 8/5/22
  • Champions Begins GM Book (Compendium): 8/19/22
  • Maps & Tokens (Add-on): 9/9/22
  • HeroSystem6e Character Sheet (Roll20) Update: 9/23/22

We’ll post some pics at the end of the week. Feel free to post any questions or comments on the project.

You are listing a HeroSystem6e character sheet update for Roll20. Are you aware that there is an existing importer for the HeroSystem6e character sheet? It is currently in version 5 and actively supported (by me). If you would like to coordinate reach out and we can chat. I can be reached here or on the Hero Discord as eepjr24.

- E

9 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

You are listing a HeroSystem6e character sheet update for Roll20. Are you aware that there is an existing importer for the HeroSystem6e character sheet? It is currently in version 5 and actively supported (by me). If you would like to coordinate reach out and we can chat. I can be reached here or on the Hero Discord as eepjr24.

- E

Hey E,

I know the importer well and have used it. It’s a great time saver. 

I’ve only looked superficially into the updates needed to make the character sheet compatible with the Compendium but I didn’t think it would alter the fields used with the JSON file. But, I definitely don’t want to break the importer. 

Thanks for reaching out. I’ll reach out to you on discord so we can chat. 

ccastan

27 minutes ago, Jkeown said:

By the sound of this, might it support Fantasy HERO as well? 

Honestly, Jkeown, only so far as Champions Complete and Hero System supports Fantasy Hero which is to say only "loosely". Hero Games is trying something new here, and if it goes well, we would like to propose to the powers that be following it up with a Fantasy HERO specific compendium like this project. We are early into this project still, so as we get further into it, we're optimistic that we will start having a discussion about what comes next. 

But, anyone interested in seeing a similar project for Fantasy Complete or Fantasy HERO, it's a good time to chime in and it may help with  deciding the next venture. 

8 hours ago, Jkeown said:

Consider me chiming. Very Chiming. I go back to the original release of FH, and I'd love to see this effort support it. I'll shout as loud as I can. What's the best way for me to contribute? (Aside from sarcasm and run-on commentary?)

Heard loud and clear, but it’ll take more than a couple of voices crying out from the wilderness. IMO this first venture has to do well. If it’s well received then it may open up opportunities for additional projects. 

I wish this had been announced two years ago! ;)  I've been running FH on roll20 for the past two years, and the lack of resources has driven me off that platform onto Astral Table.  Even though Astral isn't in active development anymore, its easier for me to create character sheets and the like there than on roll20.  I got very frustrated with some of roll20's quirks.

That being said, I did create a macro for the Hit Locations table for roll20 that uses the correct distribution on the bell curve.  Anyone who wants to know how I did it, assuming you haven't managed on your own, LOL, feel free to let me know.  I'm happy to share.

There is a new character sheet that was recently made just for Heroic Campaigns on roll20 created by Villain in Glasses accessible in Game Settings called Hero System 6E Heroic.

There are community based folks working on other APIs like the JSON exporter for Hero Designer into roll20 that’s helping make things easier. 

As far as official releases, the Compendium should start providing more functionality to make roll20 work better for Hero. We also are working on a new version of the character sheet to improve on the current HeroSystem6e Character Sheet (as soon as there’s a solid rollout date for it, we’ll post). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, eepjr24 said:

- E

So I can make a character in Hero Designer and import it to roll20?

6 hours ago, Ndreare said:

So I can make a character in Hero Designer and import it to roll20?

Yes. As a matter of fact, that is how I uploaded the characters from Champions Complete and Champions Begins into Roll20 for the upcoming project. Here is a video link that shows you how to do it. Note, that you can now select the importer from a drop down in roll20 instead of copying the link. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've been playing Hero System, specifically Champions since childhood and bought its many iterations and have lately found myself wanting to return to it for my group on Roll20 but, being only slightly more tech-savvy than my septuagenarian parents, it's been tough. I was elated to find out about this project and I have questions. Lots of questions that are probably pretty stupid and answered elsewhere that I've simply failed to uncover. If you could humor me with a couple of them here I'd really appreciate it.

Number 1: I saw this is planned for release in Q4 of this year and I was just wondering if you had any more specific details of when at this time. If not, of course, no problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing it.

Number 2: Looks like this is a character sheet importer and Roll20 data library? I was wondering if you were working on including anything like a combat aid to include. Maybe scripts or macros to calculate hit numbers or track stun/body/end ar anything like that?

Regardless, I'm excited to see your project!  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Dissent said:

Hi, I've been playing Hero System, specifically Champions since childhood and bought its many iterations and have lately found myself wanting to return to it for my group on Roll20 but, being only slightly more tech-savvy than my septuagenarian parents, it's been tough. I was elated to find out about this project and I have questions. Lots of questions that are probably pretty stupid and answered elsewhere that I've simply failed to uncover. If you could humor me with a couple of them here I'd really appreciate it.

Number 1: I saw this is planned for release in Q4 of this year and I was just wondering if you had any more specific details of when at this time. If not, of course, no problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing it.

Number 2: Looks like this is a character sheet importer and Roll20 data library? I was wondering if you were working on including anything like a combat aid to include. Maybe scripts or macros to calculate hit numbers or track stun/body/end ar anything like that?

Regardless, I'm excited to see your project!  Thank you!

Hi. Thanks for the questions and no worries you can ask as many as you want to. 

Number 1: We are aiming to release this sometime in October. It will depend mainly in how long roll20 will take to review all the material and approve it, so pinpointing down an exact release date right now is in flux because the work is still in progress. But the intent is early 4Q 2022.

Number 2: There are a couple of character sheets out there for Hero System. One is for heroic level games, and the other is for Champions. The Champions character has been out there for a while and it has some macros and automation, but it can be quirky to get everything right. But the learning curve is not too steep, and it works well. It also has functionality to help track END when you use powers, but you still have to press a button to get it to calculate, as well as macros to help roll and tabulate damage. 

The character sheet importer also works pretty well. I've found that it doesn't import everything perfect all the time in more complex characters, but overall it's been a great time saver. In fact, I've used to import more than sixty character sheets for this product and it worked perfectly. 

I would be happy to send you an invite to a shell game where I can show you how to use the importer and the character sheet. Just PM me and we can set something up. 

1 minute ago, Ndreare said:

Nice, very much looking forward to it.

Will it work like D&D and Savage Worlds,  or will I need the API?

No API needed. However, to get the most of the Champions Begins package and Champions Complete characters you’ll want to use the Hero System 6E Character Sheet, but you don’t need anything but to add the Compendium to your game to get all the rules and search capabilities. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 8:34 AM, ccastan said:

No API needed. However, to get the most of the Champions Begins package and Champions Complete characters you’ll want to use the Hero System 6E Character Sheet, but you don’t need anything but to add the Compendium to your game to get all the rules and search capabilities. 

Sorry to necro the post - but wanted to clarify the comment around not needing the API (i.e. a Roll20 subscription). So in-game, with this bundle, Body and Stun dice will be calculated and displayed correctly without the API (i.e. in a free account)?

1 hour ago, moochiepoochies said:

Sorry to necro the post - but wanted to clarify the comment around not needing the API (i.e. a Roll20 subscription). So in-game, with this bundle, Body and Stun dice will be calculated and displayed correctly without the API (i.e. in a free account)?

Just to be clear, The Hero System Character Sheet calculates BODY and STUN. It doesn't require the Champions Complete Compendium to do this. It is built in functionality of the character sheet and does not require a subscription to roll20.

• 11 months later...

Not sure if this forum is for any issues with the Existing v1.1 of the HeroSystem6e sheet or not in roll20.

We've been using it for literally almost a year now, but for some reason, when I add a player and make sure they are in the Journal and also can Admin the character, my new character cannot see the sheet.

With whom on roll20 for the sheet would I approach, because I don't think general support would cover this for roll20.

BTW, not currently on the Compendium, but perhaps later we will utilize it.

Edited by Jujitsuguy