GL style Endurance Batteries?

Braum

I'm trying to build something similar to the GL power ring/ lantern battery effect. It would seem to me that the HS5E solution to this would be that the power ring (or soul gem in this case) has an Endurance Reserve with the limitation only recovers when in contact with lantern battery.

Any suggestions on the lantern battery half of the equation?

Is it just a big Endurance Reserve that automatically grants END to the ring or does it need a mechanism to do so . . . say for example Aid with all the appropriate bells and whistles added?

My version of the battery would actually be a function of a base's AI, so it is a little higher end than GL's EverReady.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Frankly I would build the Classic GL Ring as 1 Charge lasting 24 hours.

the charge only recovers when touched by the lantern.

I would see my version of the OIF lasting until used instead of the 24 hour option (fits my particular character concept better).

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

I might have a REC bought with OAF (the ring would be OIF) if you had an End Reserve as the powersource going by an alternate route....

. . . So, the lantern battery would just be the OAF of an Endurance Reserve which is only used to recharge a second Endurance Reserve which has the ring as an OIF and the limitation only recharges when touching the lantern battery..

I like that for the typical GL ring/lantern battery effect, but . . .

Originally posted by Braum

My version of the battery would actually be a function of a base's AI, so it is a little higher end than GL's EverReady.

IF the "lantern battery" in this case is actually a function of a base's AI or a piece of equipment attached to a base,

1. would it be satisfactory to just make the Endurance Reserve one of the AI's powers with the limitation only to recharge ring and list the AI as the Immobile OAF of the ring's Endurance reserve . . .
  2. Or, since the Lantern Endurance Reserve is actually part of an independent AI/base, not part of the character themself, does the AI/Base need a separate mechanism such as Aid or at least a usuable on others advantage on its Endurance Reserve?

Re: Re: GL style Endurance Batteries?

Originally posted by lensman

I would make the battery:

Naked Power Advantage: Reduced END

only on ring powers +0

OAF

Incantations

Limited: Only works for 24 hour period

Wouldn't that build mean he has to carry the battery with him everywhere to get the Reduced END? And he has to do incantantations every time he uses his ring powers?

The naked power advantage sounds easiest, unless you're willing to do a lot of endurance bookkeeping.

Re: Re: Re: GL style Endurance Batteries?

Originally posted by Snarf

Wouldn't that build mean he has to carry the battery with him everywhere to get the Reduced END? And he has to do incantantations every time he uses his ring powers?

No requirement that a focis is on a character

Although to be fair it is not really a focus, as it never really affected by plot, so maybe Only in Super ID.

Incantations can be bought, "only for power activation"

Re: Re: Re: Re: GL style Endurance Batteries?

Originally posted by lensman

No requirement that a focis is on a character

Although to be fair it is not really a focus, as it never really affected by plot, so maybe Only in Super ID.

Incantations can be bought, "only for power activation"

I get what you're saying about incantations, but isn't an obvious accesible focus supposed to be something you can be easily and immediately disarmed of? I don't think something you only need to be around once a day counts.

I have to admit that when I first thought about this that my initial instinct was to go for limited end battery type stuff.

Then I thought about the character and the comics I've read.

I have _never_ seen the ring run out of power beyond the 24 hour recharge rigmarole. I'd be inclined to give whatever powers based on OIF (the ring) an additional limitation of 'must be recharged every 24 hours' (+1/4).

That brings the focus half way between OIF and OAF which seems appropriate. If you cannot deprive the character of the ring you can make the ring useless by preventing its recharge.

That allows unlimited use of the ring until it is time to recharge. That follows GL canon, no??

Couple of ways to do this, depending on which generation of the ring/battery we're talking about.

For the Hal era, an END Reserve is not really appropriate. The ring didn't run out of power through use, only when it's "contract was up". Hence this would operate as a simply -1/4 limitation "Only if ring has been recharged & oath made within the last 24 hours".

For the Kyle era, in which the ring doesn't have the 24-hour limitation but can run out of power through use, I'd use the option to split the END and REC parts of the reserve. The END part should be rather massive (200 END at minimum) and subject to the ring's OIF limitation (recently, this limitation has been lifted too). The REC should be bought seperately via an OAF (since the battery can still be stolen) -- although since the battery can become invisible you should probably reduce that.

Another option would be to build the battery itself as a seperate END Reserve with the Transfer power (its own END Reserve to the Ring's) -- especially if you want to go Hal-era and make the battery/ring a computer...

Here is another method, use disadvantages instead of limitations: I'm away from my book right this minute however having said that

I beleive that Dependence has an option of where if you do not get what you need you start loosing active points in powers, use this after the time period is up and watch as the power drains...

*Just in case my earlier posts were unclear, the GL ring and Lantern battery were just close examples of the effect I was shooting for.

I was actually talking about a unique character which has an amulet type device as a rechargable OIF that could only be recharged through contact with a device (immobile or bulky OAF) which is attached to the AI of their base.

Originally posted by TheEmerged

. . . Another option would be to build the battery itself as a seperate END Reserve with the Transfer power (its own END Reserve to the Ring's) -- especially if you want to go Hal-era and make the battery/ring a computer...

This seems like the best way to go for my particular application.

. . . I wonder what the hero would do if he went to recharge his power device and the AI said no? :D

Which would work best for the END transfer;

1. Aid, only usable on other, only to recharge amulet.
  2. Maybe just give the base an Endurance battery and give Transfer to the character with the limitations of OIF (the amulet) and only END from the Base's Endurance Reserve.
  3. ? :confused: Enter excellent creative suggestion here.

Green Lantern

I know you are doing a Green Lantern type character but eversince Kyle got rid of his Ion (read "godlike") powers he changed his ring. It now only works for him, he can call it back anytime he wants, only needs a full recharge when it runs out of power (could be 20 hours, could be 2 weeks) and it has a reserve power supply that he cannot exhaust. You may think about having a big Endurance reserve with no Rec on it and the limitation End cannot be recovered except at Home base -1/2? Then buy a small 50 point reserve with maybe 10 Rec for emergencies.

I an amulet type device as a rechargable OIF that could only be recharged through contact with a device (immobile or bulky OAF) which is attached to the AI of their base.

Assuming you don't want charges, isn't it simply an End reserve with the Recovery limited to 'back at base'? I think there might even be a 'recharges fully' option. Or am I missing the subtlties of this?

Originally posted by Braum

Which would work best for the END transfer;

1. Aid, only usable on other, only to recharge amulet.
  2. Maybe just give the base an Endurance battery and give Transfer to the character with the limitations of OIF (the amulet) and only END from the Base's Endurance Reserve.
  3. ? :confused: Enter excellent creative suggestion here.

I was using Transfer in the literal sense -- literally the Transfer power (1d6 for 15 pts). Define it as draining END from Reserve into character's END Reserve.

I'm not the most experienced person here... but why not keep it simple and just buy an endurance reserve that only recovers under certain circumstances. Those circumstances determine how much the limitation is worth.

Example:

14 Endurance Reserve (200 END, 1 REC) Reserve: (21 Active Points); Limited Power: Only Recovers When In Contact With Large Keg of Beer (-1/2)

I think that the idea of only recovering END for the reserve at the base is fine ... but I'm firmly of the opinion that you ought to be paying for REC on the character rather than having the base doing it via an ability.

Assuming a Speed 5 PC & Base

End Reserve:

36 End (360)

4 REC (12) Only at base (-1/2), 1 Charge of 1 Minute (-1), Incantations throughout (-1/2)

Total 40 points

This would give you a big end reserve that could be fully recharged at the base once per day.

If you buy the Rec via Healing or something else with the base IMO you are violating the maximum that if there are two ways to do things then generally the most expensive way is the correct way.

If the device can't run out of power except by the 24-hour limit expiring, then you don't want and END Reserve. What you want is 1 Continuing Charge that lasts 24 hours. Or perhaps 1 Continuing Fuel Charge that lasts the equivalent of 24 hours for that character when you factor in their speed. This can be incredibly cost-effective, yet still give the effect needed.

As for the recharging, just stick a small -1/4 Limitation on the device "Can only recharge in circumstance xxxx", which in this case is by using the bulky Immobile thing back at the base.

How about this- build a bloody huge END reserve into the ring (200+ points) with no REC. Then the Lantern Battery could have Healing END, with the limitation "Only for Lantern Ring."

I picked Healing because Aid and Transfer both diminish quite quickly unless you buy up the time, but even then it doesn't make sense. However, healing is forever. :cool:

I kind of like that, Fenixcrest.

I wanted to add the ability for my character to recoup power (at a greatly reduced rate) by visiting holy ground or another highly active source of mystic/psychic energy.

If I build the base as you've described, and build the character's Endurance Reserve with a very low REC and the limitation only when touching the base this works well. ;)

1. Buy the ring and all its powers to 0 end.

2. Put a limitation on the ring for "need access to my battery for about 10 seconds every 24 hours or runs down until I can."

3. Put a second limitation for "must say corny phrase during that 10 second period."

Thats pretty much it. The battery is nothing more than SFX flavor.

The trick will be assigning the values for the above lims. A conservative GM would rule them to both be -0, meaning they provide no more limitation than any other SFX would and wont come into play as a problem often enough to be worth any price break. A less conservative GM might go for as much as -2. Hard to say. :-)

Ok, may be repeating people here but this is my 2 cents.

To me the battery is just a special effect, no matter who really has it. Yes it is an object that can be taken away (remember that, so if you did write it up it'd be independent (IIRC). Also it should have invisible or "kept in pocket dimension" depending on who your writing it up for.

I agree with the fact that the ring should be "REC only when touching battery" and just use the battery as an object without a write up. Not everything has to be written up for a game, can get old and tedious. Sure the Reff should go over it with the Player to see what can and can't be done with it and it kept in that context.

OH, and also remember if your thinking of Kyle's ring it can do 3 things now...it keeps a small charge outside of the normal charge, can only be used by him or a family member, and IIRC it can create duplicate rings (or did he give that one to Jade/Stewart..don't keep up with GL that much)