2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

No, I don't. Yes, the Broncos are a train wreck right now. But in case you haven't been paying attention, they've been a train wreck ever since the team broke up after Super Bowl 50. Poor quarterback and head coaching decisions have been hallmarks of the team ever since Pat Bowlen gave up control of the Broncos. John Elway did a great job bringing in Peyton Manning and assembling a defense after losing Super Bowl XLVIII, but his personal decisions after that were uninspired at best. Media and fan hype notwithstanding, this team clearly was not a quarterback away from the playoffs. Or a head coach, for that matter.

So what to do about the current train wreck? Well, I don't know what you can do but let the current regime finish the season. Maybe they pull it together and the team shows signs of life, maybe they don't. Either way, this team's not going to the playoffs. So why not use this year as an audition? There's a lot of guys out with injuries, so there's a lot of opportunity to see what some of the other players can do. Figure out who, among both players and coaches, can make a meaningful contribution next year. Those who can't? Let 'em go in January.

But if I were the GM, I start compiling a wish list of upcoming free agents and rookies—and coaching candidates. And if I were the owners, I'd have a similar list for General Managers.

Can't speak for Mr. P, but I do.  

Normally, if severe lack of talent was the major issue, I wouldn't call for the coach to go...but Hackett's just not up to the job.

Wilson may or may not be a bust...judging by his contract and the assets traded to get him...but the trade gutted the team, and will continue to do so.  One has, then, to look at the GM.  

In terms of players, yes, you're stuck with Wilson.  No one will take on that contract or give up assets similar to what Denver traded.  For the rest?  You can't fire the entire squad. Might want to...but it simply won't work.

Broncos are listed as 1.5 point favorites Sunday??  Not sure I buy that.  After that it's Jacksonville, in London.  Then the bye, as the opinion piece notes.  They lose both...then I would be surprised if Hackett and Paton remain.  

Wow.  Saints just gift wrap 2 touchdowns via pick-6's.  First one, the receiver doesn't look the ball in...bounces off his hands.  He's got 2 DBs converging, but he was WIDE open.  The DBs just say "thank you" as the ball just sits in the air.  Bye-bye.  Then Dalton...the fact that he's still in the league tells me all I need to know about the state of QB play...forces a ball.  He was getting spun a bit, but I think he just failed to read the defense.  

And this is against a Cardinal defense that had 2 picks coming in.  Oh and before I started streaming, Dalton threw a pick in the end zone.

EDIT:  addendum.  Just announced.  I suppose we should've expected this.  Since NBC shows the night game on Thanksgiving...that was a hole in the normal TNF schedule.

So of course, the NFL just decided to give Amazon a game Friday night.

So there will be 4 games on short/very short weeks.....<sigh>

Carolina has officially thrown in the towel.

Christian McCaffrey traded to the Niners, according to Al on TNF just now, and Adam Schefter.  For draft picks, which means they're basically walking from the table.  Reload for later....

EDIT:  yeah, we know no one values RBs.  Draft picks are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th next year, 5th in 2024.  Which is probably pretty good for Carolina;  Niners apparently have a surfeit of bonus 3rd round picks, so it doesn't hurt them to potentially overpay.  They need a back.

It's a little weird that the Neeners traded for CMC since they have Elijah Mitchell coming back form IR.   Unless he isn't coming back from IR.

Anyway the fantasy football forums are lit up with comments about the most injury-prone RB in football moving to the most-injured RB room in football.  The joke is that CMC will blow his ACL walking up the jetway out of the plane.

That would be an interesting question:  most touches by a RB over the last, say, 3 years combined.  If we just say 20 touches would be pretty high use, and certainly heavily involved in the offense, then 3 full years would be 980.

Single-season?  Last year, 3 backs topped that mark.  Najee Harris (Steelers), Jonathan Taylor (Colts), and Joe Mixon (Bengals).  (from StatMuse)

Derrick Henry had that level in '19 and '20...and them played in only 8 games in '21.  

That's the point of the 3 year span:  wear and tear.  The current active rushing yards leader is Mark Ingram, with just over 8000 in 12 seasons.  He's played in 153 games, and missed 30...so, 1 out of every 6.  And his workload only approached 20 touches per game in 2014;  for the last several years, it's been about 12-15.

And here's McCaffrey:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/player/christian-mccaffrey-26328/career-stats

2018, just over 20 touches.  2019, a bit over 25 touches.  2020...first 3 games, 25 touches, then BOOM.  '21, 19 touches a game for 7 games, then BOOM.  

Running backs aren't valued because they don't last, because it's likely *relatively* easier to teach, and because there's a decent stream of em in most draft years.  So, yes, the question of how much McCaffrey can actually contribute is definitely wide open.

There's a chance this'll be a trap game for the Jets.  Another bad team...they've beaten Cleveland, Pitt, and Miami w/o Tua, all damaged teams.  Yes, they beat the Pack too, last week...but with the Pats *next* week too, this is just setting up as a big time trap game.  FiveThirtyEight gives them < 40% chance to make the playoffs...lower than either NE or Miami.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

Jags are winning against the 5-1 Giants. 

So of course, they're not showing the game locally. 

Pretty good game, it's the one I'm getting from Fox.  Infinitely better than the CBS game.

PANTHERS (!!!)  are up 14 in the Bucs, end of 3.  Bucs are in the red zone, but they're showing nothing on the ground, so...who knows.  Bucs have NO balance whatsoever, 41 passes to 14 rushes.

Some other potential upsets teasing me.....

EDIT:  oh my.  I shoulda bought lottery tickets...

Bucs get down to 1st and goal at the 8.  3 short passes all fall incomplete;  they settle for a semi-pointless field goal at 14-3, but I'd argue the play calls before this.

THEN, the Bucs' defense gives up 75 yards in 7 plays, including 2 of 20+.  THAT has been the story, along with the Bucs' terrible offense.  Carolina has 3 TDs, all based on gouge plays...21, 23, and 20 yards on the first drive, 60 then 17 for the TD on consecutive plays, then this one.  It's 21-3, and Carolina has the ball.  Just running clock.  Got it close to midfield, they'll have to punt, but they burned about 4 minutes.

Pretty much over...

57 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Pretty good game, it's the one I'm getting from Fox.  Infinitely better than the CBS game.

PANTHERS (!!!)  are up 14 in the Bucs, end of 3.  Bucs are in the red zone, but they're showing nothing on the ground, so...who knows.  Bucs have NO balance whatsoever, 41 passes to 14 rushes.

Some other potential upsets teasing me.....

EDIT:  oh my.  I shoulda bought lottery tickets...

Bucs get down to 1st and goal at the 8.  3 short passes all fall incomplete;  they settle for a semi-pointless field goal at 14-3, but I'd argue the play calls before this.

THEN, the Bucs' defense gives up 75 yards in 7 plays, including 2 of 20+.  THAT has been the story, along with the Bucs' terrible offense.  Carolina has 3 TDs, all based on gouge plays...21, 23, and 20 yards on the first drive, 60 then 17 for the TD on consecutive plays, then this one.  It's 21-3, and Carolina has the ball.  Just running clock.  Got it close to midfield, they'll have to punt, but they burned about 4 minutes.

Pretty much over...

Addition by subtraction for Carolina? Or is Tom Brady® mortal after all? 

Giants are playing old school.  79 yards mostly on the ground...Daniel Jones had a couple NICE scrambles, Barkley hammered for a bunch...to take the lead.  Shut down the Jags.  Get the ball with 4 1/2 minutes, run, run, run, run, run...moving the ball 50 yards, burn the clock and the Jags' time outs.  They burn it all the way down to a minute...the refs said Barkley didn't go down in bounds quite right, he went OB before giving himself up.  Debatable, and meaningful...gave Jags an extra 40 seconds on the clock before going for the FG.

Bucs?  Brady has no running game.  At all.  They had 2 running plays for 9 and 11...but otherwise, the backs had 12 carries for 23 yards.  16 total rushes, 50 pass plays.  Toooooo many big plays...Carolina had 343 yards but only 14 first downs, which means chunk plays.  Is it Brady and age, or poor line, or poor receivers?  Dunno.

Oh my, there's #2.  WASHINGTON (!!!) over Green Bay.  Story here looks to be the GB defense...Washington ran 72 plays to GB's 46.  Wash went 7-16 on 3rd down.  ToP was 37-23.  Yardage was 364-220.  Oh...there's another reason.  GB 0-6 on 3rd downs.  One of the GB scores was defensive, a pick-6.  So issues across the board for the Pack.

The last minute of Giants-Jags is taking FOREVER.  Giants are getting called for flag after flag after flag, extending the Jags' drive...to the point where they've made it to the red zone with 20 seconds left.  Giants kinda ESCAPE!!! at the end...pass complete to a receiver at the 1....but he's hit by multiple defenders and held out.  Clock runs out.  Giants win 23-17.  Not terribly clean or pretty, especially at the end, but they're 6-1.....