2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

On 10/24/2022 at 2:23 PM, Pariah said:

Yeah, right now I'd say that the Broncos have the inside track to the #1 pick ... except that they traded it to Seattle.

Season 3 Mistake GIF by The Simpsons

Seahawks are now looking pretty good without Wilson, they are gonna have cap space and they will have 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks in the draft.

That's why I think more teams need to consider trading their Wilsons, when they need to fuel a rebuild.  He's not that old, but he is getting up there, in age and hits taken.  While this is a bit of a surprise so far, whether it'll really amount to much (exit in the WC round is OK but not great)...it's likely '24 before the rebuild can get into higher gear.  And they'd shown they weren't going anywhere with Wilson.

The conditions that make this a good move might not arise that often, but they happen more often than teams actually pulling the trigger when they do.  There's a huge fear...fanbase response, QB anxiety, what have you...that trading the QB who's Done It in the past, is disastrous because who knows when you'll find another.  Vet QBs with positive traits, but overall mixed success, are GROSSLY overvalued, IMO.  "Rodgers will work it out."  "Brady's the GOAT, he'll solve it all."  "Ryan...oh, Matty Ice.  All those game winning drives!!"

Yeah...YEARS ago.  And when the team around them is competent.  There was a stat...IIRC, it was the Bucs' interior 3 linemen are beaten by their pass rushers at the highest rate in the league.  Interior pressure is FAST pressure, it's QB looking up just in time to get PULVERISED.  It forces shorter routes, faster bail-outs by the QB.  And Brady's escapeability is down.  IIRC, the assessment of the GB receivers is..."not very good!"  Ryan, I believe...that's on Ryan.  Holding the ball much too long.  Not only is he tied for the lead in sacks, he's also tied for the lead in fumbles, and 2nd in fumbles lost...fortunately, 11 fumbles but only 3 lost.  But that's 35 drop-backs leading to significant negative plays, since Ryan's not running much.  

9 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Well, considering the Niner game...or the Seahawks game...or the Texans game...or the Colts game...or the Jets game...

There's a VERY, VERY high bar for Worst Ever Look, just this season, to pick from

Oh, you mean the uniforms.....

I don't have ESPN+ either, and I am soooo glad I can't be tempted...doesn't help the fact that the over-under is set at 39.5, and my feeling is...the under is close to a bloody LOCK.  

BIG spreads this week.  Eagles -10.5 over Steelers, Cowboys -9 over Bears, Bills -11 over the Packers (!!!!).  Well, hey, the Bears were +8.5 against the Pats, so maybe they can double up.  Hey, if they can pull it off, they might become my favorite team...for a week or two, anyway.  

Interesting points from NFL.com's power rankings:

[Matt] Ryan certainly earned a benching with his leaden, turnover-prone play, but parachuting out of the latest expensive-veteran-QB gamble after just seven games begs some very important questions about who is actually running the show in Indy. It goes without saying that both GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich stand on very shaky ground.

If there’s any good news for the rest of us, Rypien’s pedestrian effort will spare everyone talk of a quarterback controversy in Denver. This is Wilson’s ship, sinking though it may be.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Interesting fact: There's only one game this weekend that features two teams with winning records.

The part that makes it really unbelievable? It's the Giants and Seahawks.

Only 13 teams have winning records...and 2 are on a bye.  17 teams have losing records, and 2 teams are at .500.

The Seahawks are currently the #3 seed.  How scary is that?  That, of course, makes it perfectly appropriate for Halloween weekend.  This entire season has been a horrible masquerade.

Only way the Squawks make the SB is if the league office puts the full fix in so the East Coast media execs get their fantasies* rewarded by having a New York team win the SB.  Then I can see them allowing a miserable sack of despised small-market Left Coast goobers in to be the designated palooka while anointing the Giants as champions.  With the chaos involving the protecting-the-QB-from-concussions stuff and the continuously-in-flux interpretations of pass interference, a fix even worse than SB XL is entirely likely.

*Well, the fantasies that don't involve per-pubescent girls, but for those they always have women's gymnastics.

There's only 2 reasons why I can't write off the Bucs after tonight.

1.  The division they're in is terrible.  TB was #18 at NFL.com, and that was the highest.  NO/Atl are 21-22;  Carolina is #30 with a bullet...hole.  Or 6.  After trading McCaffrey, ya gotta figure wins the rest of the way will be few and far between.  

2.  They only have 1 more game against a team with a winning record, and 3 division games.  FiveThirtyEight still projects them going 8-9...and winning the division on tiebreakers.  That's counting tonight.

The problem, of course, is they've already lost to Carolina (#30) and Pittsburgh (#24), so they've shown they can lose to anyone.  They're still grossly dysfunctional...just too many plays that can't happen this late into the season.  The Ravens scored on their first 4 possessions in the second half...and the only other one was when they ran the clock out.  First 3 drives, 33 plays, 250 yards, 3 TDs...so the defense is struggling to keep their heads above water.