Super Hero Trading Cards

batguy

The simplest solution would be to get a color printer that can handle card stock and create it yourself.  If you want something in volume?  You'll have to front the cost of a print run, which is, I suspect, at least in the 5 digits...and probably 6 digits, counting setup work.  You'll need everything in formats they expect;  I don't think these are standard home graphics formats, either.  You'll have additional issues if you're considering using commercial properties.

If you just want a few sets, then card stock and a good printer...the better your printer, the better they'll look.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 8:09 PM, unclevlad said:

The simplest solution would be to get a color printer that can handle card stock and create it yourself.  If you want something in volume?  You'll have to front the cost of a print run, which is, I suspect, at least in the 5 digits...and probably 6 digits, counting setup work.  You'll need everything in formats they expect;  I don't think these are standard home graphics formats, either.  You'll have additional issues if you're considering using commercial properties.

If you just want a few sets, then card stock and a good printer...the better your printer, the better they'll look.  

yeah,i see what you mean.,i should use golden age characters.thanks

Edited by batguy
i left something out

Copyright period is 95 years, IIRC;  all published comics would presumably have been copyrighted.  Thus, any character published in a comic since 1928 is almost certainly covered by copyright.  If an imprint completely folded?  Well, maybe then the copyrights lapsed, but much of the time, the imprint's IP would've been purchased.  That would maintain the copyrights.  Now, granted, a LONG!!! forgotten character from the 30s or 40s...might not matter, particularly if your project is particularly small.  BUT, copyright protection is very serious business, so that would NOT be a safe assumption to make.

(IIRC, rather than worry about initial month of publication, the copyright expires on 31 December, 95 years after the year of publication.)

8 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The phrase you're looking for is "public domain superheroes." There are sites dedicated to these. Many golden age characters may still be under copyright.

Yeah,you make a good point.,by the way,which golden age characters are still under copyright?

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I did not look too deep, but the ones I saw listed specific appearances which were in the public domain, and did not indicate that the character on the whole was in the public domain.

Yeah, for example, this is included in the write-up of Polychrome, from Baum's Oz books:

While the original character who appeared in Oz books published before 1923 is in public domain, the versions of the character used by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Disney, Vertigo Comics, Marvel Comics or post-1923 Oz books are NOT in the public domain.

In many cases, too, the writeups are...sparse.  

• 1 month later...

I have my students make trading cards of themselves! It helps me put names to faces and learn a little about them.  Here's the website I use:

Trading Card: Turn your photos into trading cards!

I've got some example of cards I've made over the years. I'll see if I can dig one up and post when I'm at my home computer.

Edit: Take a look at this.

BlackNovaCard.jpg

Edited by Pariah
Posted a card!