Don't Panic!

"There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. ... What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams."

Hm.  I wonder if should put DON'T PANIC at the top of my astronomy final exam and see if any of the kids get the reference. 

Maybe add a question.  ("A: What number should be associated with the exhortation at the top of the exam?  B: Would you be happy or dismayed to receive that number as a score on this exam?  C) Did you bring your towel?")

Hmmm.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Edited by Cancer

It's out of 160, and last fall the median score was 56 and 14 of 33 students were below a score of 42.  That section had a considerable but unknown number of kids taking the course pass/fail and trying to get D-minuses, though.

Going back to a pre-pandemic instance of the course ... 140 points possible on the final then ... median 53, and 12 of 31 in the class were below the score of 42.  So perhaps the one-tick-above-failing population has always been that big.  Or perhaps, I have always sucked abjectly as an instructor.  That last could be true, and I'm well into DGAF-land there.

Edited by Cancer

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

Hm.  I wonder if should put DON'T PANIC at the top of my astronomy final exam and see if any of the kids get the reference. 

Maybe add a question.  ("A: What number should be associated with the exhortation at the top of the exam?  B: Would you be happy or dismayed to receive that number as a score on this exam?  C) Did you bring your towel?")

Hmmm.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The name of my freshman physics textbook at TAMU was Don't Panic. The teacher wrote it and said he tried to make it relatable to everyday things.