Is Anyone Using Threads or Bluesky?

Pariah

As a number of people have become increasingly dissatisfied with Twitter in recent weeks, two new options have arisen. One is Threads, which is apparently Meta's (that is to say, Facebook's) version of the platform. The other is Bluesky, which a couple of my academically-minded friends are interested in trying—but apparently it's available by invitation only at the moment.

Has anyone here used either of these platforms? What has your experience been like? Pros and Cons? Is either (or both) of them worth pursuing? 

Yes. Threads is Twitter for Instagram & Facebook users, but Threads is not Twitter. The audience for both is different, and Twitter still is the place where things happen, news breaks, and pop trends occur, even if the audience has gotten smaller in recent months. Both platforms will co-exist. If anything, Threads (a Instagram product) will ironically be competition for Facebook itself. 

6 hours ago, Bazza said:

Yes. Threads is Twitter for Instagram & Facebook users, but Threads is not Twitter. The audience for both is different, and Twitter still is the place where things happen, news breaks, and pop trends occur, even if the audience has gotten smaller in recent months. Both platforms will co-exist. If anything, Threads (a Instagram product) will ironically be competition for Facebook itself. 

If Threads can establish itself enough, the big news outlets will abandon Twitter.  CNBC story says Threads is still building out its structure in ways that marketers want, but that the big advertisers are watching closely.

No, I don't think Twitter will necessarily continue to exist, at least as a significant player.  

I have had a Twitter handle in the past, for a short time;  forget why now.  Something useful.  Can't say I ever used it.  Won't use Threads either.

I have a Twitter account I hardly ever use. I got it for a specific work-related task and just never bothered to delete it. I used to use it semi-frequently strictly as a reader. I enjoyed following certain artists and writers and I even purchased some art I found through Twitter so I can't say I never used it.

That being said, if (and when) it dies, I will not shed tears. The last time I checked in it said I had two notices and it was just scammers trying to enroll me in their crypto schemes. 

But honestly, I want to watch it collapse primarily to expose Musk for the moron he truly is. 

On 7/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, Hermit said:

I'm using neither. I am glad there are rivals to Twitter given my views on it's owner but Threads merely strikes me as the lesser privacy stealing evil right now.

Musk/Twitter won’t collect your tax records, Zuckerberg/Meta will. 

Tax Filing Platforms Shared Personal Data With Meta And Google

https://www.forbes.com/video/6331085131112/tax-filing-platforms-shared-personal-data-with-meta-and-google/?sh=12e049683f3c