NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Pariah said:

"Suspicious"? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

NFL Fans Are Calling Out The Arizona Cardinals For Shamelessly Tanking After Very Suspicious Roster Move

Can something really be suspicious when it's also totally obvious?

Which move are you calling obvious?  Murray to PUP, yeah, sure.  And...hmm...looking at McCoy...he's hopeless.  Not like Dobbs is any better, but he's gotta be a lot cheaper, just from years of service aspects.  

Story in the Athletic today...they polled 23 agents, promising anonymity.  One of the questions:  now that the Commanders are in a franchise reset, what's the worst-run organization in the NFL?

*9* of them said...the Cardinals.  One of the comments:

“(The Cardinals) have stable owners, but the franchise’s mentality and financial plan aren’t sound. Now on a path to not-win to dump Kyler Murray and position itself for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft for Caleb Williams. The organization hasn’t been good even when posting positive records.”

Second was the Colts, which...given that Jim Irsay may now be the worst owner in the NFL, makes sense...but that was only 4 votes.  Cowboys got one vote:  "Nepotism at its finest."  

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

A high profile athlete at a high profile school should absolutely know by now that committing either way is utterly moronic.  It's completely lose-lose.  That's pretty much a Captain Obvious article, IMO.  

Coming into the college season, Williams has 2 big NIL deals...taking over the Bryce Young slot in Fansville is no surprise, and I saw him in a Wendy's ad last night. 

In case you wondered what NIL deals looked like, for the high end...

https://www.on3.com/db/caleb-williams-17251/nil/

Of COURSE Bronny is #1.  Livvy Dunne is huge on social media, and Vuori advertised pretty heavily in the spring.  And Arch Manning, it's all in that last name.  Plus, of course...Texas.

There's also this:

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/

What's a bit crazy is...there's 10 high school kids on the list.  Bronny's younger brother's one...ok, no surprise.  Others are big names in the football or basketball recruitment lists.  But...realize...they're all making over $500K *while still in high school.*  That's crazy.....I don't begrudge them the money, if someone wants to pay them, but man.  Cult of celebrity...

17 minutes ago, Old Man said:

You have the top scoring Bengal and a number of high-upside players, what's not to love?  It was a difficult draft spot though, I hate drafting at the turn.

It feels underwhelming for some reason though.  Which means I'll probably win the league.

PS:  There's also the added factor that the wife put me in timeout because only she is allowed to have Joe Burrow.  :)

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

If I might be so bold as to posit a question, are you ready for some football?

NO.

Now ask me what's on the TV.......<sigh>

Story in The Athletic about the ESPN/Charter Communications rights fees dispute.  Their take is, this one is potentially more impactful, due to the issues and Disney's intent to shift ESPN.  Their point...sports are probably going to be harder to watch, AND more expensive, moving forward.  

Like I noted in the college football thread...

Never, ever, EVER bet week 1 games.  Give the Lions a lot of credit, but the Chiefs...sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.  Drops left and right.  Can't predict where, but can assume SOME teams will have that problem.

21-20, LIONS.

Hey, the Broncos aren't in the cellar!

Okay, I just had an amusing (if unlikely) thought:

We all remember that Aaron Rodgers' last game in a Packers uniform was a loss to the Lions. Heh.

Wouldn't it be entertaining if Rodgers, against all odds, managed to get his new team, the J-E-T-S, to the Super Bowl for the first time in over half a century ... only to lose to Jared Goff and the Lions?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Wouldn't it be entertaining if Rodgers, against all odds, managed to get his new team, the J-E-T-S, to the Super Bowl for the first time in over half a century ... only to lose to Jared Goff and the Lions?

I refuse to contemplate any hypothetical that gives that moron that much success.

18 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Like I noted in the college football thread...

Never, ever, EVER bet week 1 games.  Give the Lions a lot of credit, but the Chiefs...sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.  Drops left and right.  Can't predict where, but can assume SOME teams will have that problem.

21-20, LIONS.

Hey, the Broncos aren't in the cellar!

Cheat code QB sorely missed his cheat code TE. 

We're well used to broadcast booth inflation...remember the days when there was only ONE person in the booth, for almost all games?  (If you do, you're old.  <sigh>)  Then it was 2 mostly;  IIRC, MNF with Gifford, Cosell, and Meredith was ahead of its time.  Then, of course, 3 man booth became typical...and quite often there's the sideline person, who may be doing MORE than asking coaches 2 annoying questions or reporting on injuries...Buster Olney, for example.

Yes, well, that's hitting the studio shows.

JJ Watt became the 5th analyst and 6th person on CBS' NFL Today, and it looks to be regular, and for the entire show.