NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course, we all know the most important impact, insofar as the league is concerned, to the Rodgers injury:  RATINGS.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-injury-means-jets-will-likely-be-flexed-out-of-prime-time-here-are-the-games-that-could-change/#:~:text=After only being given one,prime-time games for 2023.

EDIT:  side thought.

It would be WONDERFUL if the Jets don't get flexed...because they're neck and neck with the Bills for the division.

Now, now, don't start boiling the pitch.

Recognize:  this would happen WITHOUT The Flake.  Brock Purdy redux, perhaps?  

And this would be a truly *entertaining* outcome.  The Flake gets brushed off as unnecessary.

Glass almost empty, or perhaps still half full?

The Vikes, of course.  Getting SMOKED again.  Are they really this BAD...or is this partly related to having no time to make the adjustments?

I lean to the former, because of the turnover issue.  8 turnovers in 6+ quarters.  Yeah, fine, the touchback rule might be a big issue, but this team is TERRIBLE with the ball overall.  It's like a baseball batting order with 8 Adam Dunns and Rob Deers...fine, they'll get the big play but they'll strike out 15 times a game.  32 plays, 24 passes, 6 minutes into the 2nd half.  That'll also get their QBs killed. 

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

The Eagles are now 35-37 converting on that 1-2 yard QB push move they use in the last 2 years.  Wondering if the competition committee should take a look at that in the next offseason....

But Hurts might be one of the best at running a play like that.  I'd be interested to see broader stats.  

Some of the ESPN talking heads brought this up last week.  Whoever it was, wasn't fond of it.  It used to be illegal to deliberately help the rusher.  I suspect the primary reason for the change was, seriously irregular enforcement.

They might look at it, but unless there's a clear, pressing need to change it, it won't be changed.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

The New York Giants have now played six quarters of football this season, including the last two against the Arizona Cardinals, and have yet to score a point.

Yikes.

That streak had to end.  They're playing Arizona.

31 second half points as the Cards blow a 20 point halftime lead.

57 minutes ago, Pariah said:

...and the Donkeys have now officially blown a 21-3 first half lead.

This is a frighteningly similar story to last year.  Tremendous start...first 3 possessions, over 220 yards, 3 TDs.  Then someone stuck a pin into the balloon.  Second half...punt, INT, FG (starting possession from midfield), punt.  This last one, they're moving it, but Washington's playing softer since they're up 11, and it's down almost to the 2 minute warning.

The Denver defense gave up 6 scores...and 2 missed FGs.  10 possessions, Washington only punted twice.

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The Donkeys are now 0-2 on the young season . . . with a -3 point differential. 

That's something, I guess.

...that they've been taking lessons from the Chargers?

Why wasn't the hit just now, Mapu on Waddle, which was clearly helmet-to-helmet and late...only called roughness, not targeting??  

INTERESTING kick defense by the Pats.  Start someone out wide...not as wide as the gunner on a punt would be, but 10, 15 yards off the ball.  Start him *running* parallel to the line...then he turns upfield at the snap.  He's got a full head of steam, so even if it's a couple steps longer, it's still quicker.  Collinsworth made a good point:  lots of coaches are going to look at it, cuz it just makes a lot of sense.  Got to think that rusher would be harder to block;  he's got flexibility in his rush path.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Donkeys are now 0-2 on the young season . . . with a -3 point differential. 

That's something, I guess.

Tbey’re playing way better than anyone expected, which is more than I can say for the Derps. And they’ve been dealing with a spate of injuries too. Dunno if they’ll make the playoffs but it’s conceivable they’ll improve a bit. 

Denver Stat of the Day: The Donkeys have never had a winning season after starting 0-2. 

Thinking ahead to next week . . . Denver lost game 1 due to special teams miscues, and game 2 due to a defensive collapse. So I'm predicting a game 3 loss due to offensive ineptitude.

Who are we playing?  >checks<  At the Dolphins? Yeah, sounds about right. 0-3, here we come!

It's probably a good thing I don't drink. 

Perhaps the latest Line You Do NOT Want To Hear...

Joe Buck, Browns-Steelers game..."I am told we are not going to show the replay of the injury."

I don't have a problem with that, but it's also, I suspect, the NFL playing a PR game...NOT wanting to show the gore, if it's one of those ugly-nasty type "the human body was never intended to move in that direction" injuries.

EDIT:  ouch....regular speed, you can't see much, but there's a suggestion of the aftermath because Chubb's knee pad is BELOW his knee...meaning it got hit hard enough to be dislodged.  Slow mo?  Yeah, you can see it.  It's quick, but the shot on the left knee causes it to bend to the right noticeably.

I suspect we're talking complete reconstruction of that knee is going to be required.

EDIT 2:  Halftime, SVP et al have brought up this.  Per Adam Schefter:

Nick Chubb dislocated his left knee and tore his MCL, PCL, and LCL with cartilage damage on October 10, 2015 vs. Tennessee. He injured the same knee tonight vs. Pittsburgh.

That makes this all the more worrisome...as in, career threatening.

EDIT the last, for tonight:  no details other than "significant" injury to the knee, but the Browns coach confirmed, as expected, Chubb is out for the season.