NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Browns are gonna Brown.

In that last word?  Change that first letter to a d.

And while it's too early to totally give up on Watson, buyer's remorse has to be creeping in...like a charging rhino.....

2 MNF games is Disney doing market research, pure and simple.  Who's watching, and how.  Problem is, both games were putrid.  And next Monday?  Of the 4 teams...Eagles, Bucs, Rams, Bengals...the Eagles are the only ones that I think will draw wide interest.  Rams-Bengals might draw some people in to see if the Bengals are continuing to fall off the cliff, especially offensively, and whether the Rams are total pretenders or plausible contenders.  The Eagles-Bucs could also be a beatdown.  

But that's why.  It's market research.  It's less about money now;  I suspect they have to fork over near-double cash to get 2 slots, and there's no way the combined ratings are gonna be double.  I think the intent is to compare streaming audiences to broadcast audiences, particularly as Disney's looking at moving ESPN to a streaming product ONLY, over time.

I don't think it's too early to give up on Wilson at all. Yeah, he had a decent game on Sunday, but he's utterly failed to capture the confidence of his fans, teammates, and coach. He's ridiculously expensive, but I think he's basically done. 

Wait, what? Oh, you said Watson. My bad.

I don't think I can speak impartially about either W...but the fact is, neither team can possibly give up on them at this point, and it's only week 2.  

I did catch at least one writer...who admits he has little understanding of the X's and O's...praising Wilson, and projecting ahead.  Yeah, well, what happens if we knock off the miracle catch at the end of regulation?  17-31 for 258, with 7 sacks for -31.  And, fine, he completed 80% against the Raiders...for 5 yards a play.  Numbers can lie. 

I think he's doing *better*...but that's a bar in the sand.  ESPN's QBR has him 11th, which I'll admit surprised me.  But that's not good enough.  And the acrimony is coming out already.  

Watson...yeah, well, no one here is gonna cry if he crashes and burns, right?  And no Chubb at this point....  Forget it.  Oh, and that same QBR?  Watson's 30th.  The only 2 lower are Fields and Pickett.  Yeah, as I say, it's only week 2, but when you're down THIS low?  How much of a turnaround can reasonably be expected?

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

2 MNF games is Disney doing market research, pure and simple.  Who's watching, and how.  Problem is, both games were putrid.  And next Monday?  Of the 4 teams...Eagles, Bucs, Rams, Bengals...the Eagles are the only ones that I think will draw wide interest.  Rams-Bengals might draw some people in to see if the Bengals are continuing to fall off the cliff, especially offensively, and whether the Rams are total pretenders or plausible contenders.  The Eagles-Bucs could also be a beatdown.  

But that's why.  It's market research.  It's less about money now;  I suspect they have to fork over near-double cash to get 2 slots, and there's no way the combined ratings are gonna be double.  I think the intent is to compare streaming audiences to broadcast audiences, particularly as Disney's looking at moving ESPN to a streaming product ONLY, over time.

Thanks for the explanation.

BLEAH!!!!!  The early slot here...

Pats at Jets...YUCK!!!!

Saints at Packers...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  I could be wrong but I doubt either team is gonna make any real noise;  they could both with their divisions, but both divisions could be rather bad.

Oh my gosh...the fans screaming for Denver to fire their defensive coordinator have to be apoplectic.  5 possessions for Miami, 4 TDs...75, 81, 75, and 86 yard drives.  

Tua is 16/16 for 209, 2 TDs...and a PERFECT passer rating for the first half....

Yeah, fans will be out for blood.

Denver's defense is certainly making Miami look good.  Although I believe McDaniel may be the best playcaller in the league.

Logged in to mention the fawning coverage of Tua by the talking heads at the half.  "He's so accurate!"  "His balls are so catchable!"  Three weeks ago the prevailing wisdom in the press and fandom was that Tua was a left-handed game manager at best.

Meanwhile the Bengals' nightmare season continues with serious discussion of putting Burrow on IR to get his leg right.  His backup would apparently be rookie "Jake Browning".  I feel bad for Cincy fans.

The Dolphins have now broken their franchise record for points scored in a game, up from their previous record of 55. The Broncos record for points allowed in a game is 59, done in 1963 and in 2010. The Dolphins have just put in a backup quarterback, so maybe the Donkeys can keep this under 60.